1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods - GT | Update! - Parvum JOINS!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Falqoon, 4 Jul 2014.

1. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi guys!

Since Project Stealth MKII is as good as done, and using as my main pc i’m slowly busy with a new project. This project is called GT, nothing more nothing less.

It will be a sporty but classy build inspired by some high class cars.

I do not want to tell you all the plans and stuff as you will see it as the build progresses. I can tell you, do not expect a pc that looks like a car. Because that is not the style i prefer.

First of all, I started thinking, and sketching until I had my vision clear. I knew what case I wanted. The new Corsair 450D. Its as cool as the 350d, but a bit bigger for some extra space.

Corsair will be a huge sponsor in this build, beginning by the mighty Obsidian 450D. Thank you so much Harry from Corsair!

Small sidenote: this project will go slowly because currently im very busy at work.

That said, lets make a start on it!

I started to work on the front panel first. Hmmmm how should it be. Lets go for a completely new look!

I started to do some sketching and in the end I drew something in Adobe Illustrator, a nice template for the cutout of the front panel. Printed it on A4 sticker paper and boom! Lets do the cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cut is done! Yes indeed, that’s not how it should be. I prefer filing it down to the lines to het a perfect cutout.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is better :)

After the cut was done i started to glue some perforated metal to the back of the front to gain some strength and to add a grill style to the cutout.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that the glue has dryed for over 24 hours i drilled a hole for the power switch, and grabbed a file to make the hole a bit bigger to fit the switch. I’ll be using a cool black vandal switch here with a white led ring. After some plaster and sanding i started painting the front matt black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the final result, assembled to the case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now.

Next steps for the front:
    - mod the official front ports like usb, audio but also the original power button. Im removing this functionality so i will close all the ports using plaster.

- Start thinking about the internals and the top.

Hope you guys liked it, at least I enjoyed, more to come! :) :D :rock:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jan 2015
  2. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

jeej zdmods :D is the mesh from highfow? nice idea!

3. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Looking great! Will follow any mod from ZdMods! :D

4. lowfat

lowfat Minimodder

The front look looks really nice.

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

That front panel looks fantastic. I love the rounded edges, really makes it look sleek.

6. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Thanks for your compliment, the "mesh" is just perforated aluminium plate. I think with 2mm diameters.

Thanks for following Ian!

Thank you Lowfat! I also think its a great front for the 450d

Thank you for your comment Mansueto! I love it too!

And in global, thanks for all the views and comments so far, soon i will post some more info about the block that is behind the frontpanel, and sponsoring from other companies!

Hope you guys gonna enjoy this trip!

:clap:

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  7. chilliewillie

Thanks for you compliment, the "mesh" is just perforated aluminium plate. I think with 2mm

how much does it cost and where can you get in ?

8. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Chilliewillie; Do some research/Googling yourself. The first hit for 'perforated mesh' gives alot of results. The one Falqoon used is available at almost every hardware store (Gamma, Praxis, etc.)

9. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since i posted my last update, the reason is because there were some personal circumstances. I hope you guys stil wanna enjoy this mod!

First of all, as you know, Corsair is sponsoring me in this project and with the following hardware pieces!
    - Obsidian 450D
    - 16GB Dominator platinum with light bar kit
    - AX860i PSU
    - SP and AF fans
    - Neutron GTX 240GB SSD

This is really really great and i’m very happy to work with such amazing parts in this build!
    Thank you Harry from Corsair!

Next up, my second main sponsor in this project is Asus, with also an almighty package i’m very happy with!

They are sponsoring:
    - The z87 gryphon motherboard with the armor kit
    - Two GTX770 DCUII OC cards for SLI awesomeness!

A big thanks to Sven from Asus!

My current progress:
    Currently im designing and building the first interior part. The plan was to create a wall for a radiator that was under a 45 degree angle, so ive gotten my idea in sketchup.

Its a “simple” bend piece of aluminium with a radiator cutout. Because of the space i’ll be modding two fans to make it fit. I’ll remove everything around the fan only leaving the motor and its blades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i’ll show you the pics of this super duper hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’s it for now. Next update i’ll probably show you guys the outcome of the angled radiator wall!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Sep 2014
  10. chilliewillie

11. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Hi guys!

Ive made a cardboard version of the wall with one fan as a demo.

What do you guys think? Or do you maybe have a suggestion? Let me know! I think it will be awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jojoharalds

jojoharalds Minimodder

Damn this is going to be awsome ,and very detailed work.
    I ll be following this ;)

13. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Thank you Jojo,

I'll hope I can bring an update soon. Still testing the flow a bit, going to cut the alu piece early next week.

Regards,
    Kevin

14. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi guys,

Finaly sort of an update here.

Been very busy lately with other awesome things, i bought my first home which im very proud of, and that also was a lot of work with arranging everything.

Hope you guys don’t mind, its coming, and currently the mod has gotten some priority now.

I started working on the angled radiator wall. After the cardboard test version i’ve gotten a piece of 2mm thick aluminium for the final version.

Started to stick the pieces of the template that ive made onto the alu place and drew the cut and bend lines.

Currently i’ve cut the first half and planning next week on the second cut. Only the edges of the first cut still needs to be sanded a bit (you’re currently seeing some file marks).

Enjoy the pics and please let me know what you think!

Note: Edges may seem ugly sometimes, but that is just the paper from the template that is ruined a bit, so no worries!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Zoyadog

Zoyadog What's a Dremel?

This looks very promising! Craftsmanship at it's best :) Love that fan-wall idea.

16. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

Thank you Zoyadog!

17. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi all!

It took me a while because i was in a pretty heavy discussion with myself. I finished the radiator wall and placed 'm inside the case on its place, but when i had a good look on it i didnt liked it at all. It was with the wall in its place i found that the space between the gpu's and the wall was way to narrow then i'd like it to be, but i needed the space behind the wall so i dropped this idea.

See for your self:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, i made some new plans. Drew alot on paper and in sketchup and finally got to this idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alot needs to change, i need to fabricate a new top, back and motherboard tray, but will be fun to do.

Because the radiator isn't placed under an angle now i'm making the most out of the possible space in the 450d. And the overall look is great i think, its a nice line with the longer parts all parallel to eachother. from bottom right to top left: Radiator 1, GPU1, GPU2, Radiator 2.

What do you guys think of this idea!? Please let me know, i think it will fit and look nice :)

if you have any other idea's, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

[​IMG]

18. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

Hey Falqoon! Love the build so far and I like the new direction for the interior. Had a couple of ideas that (I think at least) would be awesome.

[​IMG]

Excited to see the rest of the build! :thumb:

19. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Subbed! Nice work so far!

20. Falqoon

Falqoon Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi guys!

Thanks for the comments, hereby an update plus new sponsorship!

AQUATUNING & E22

Alot of thanks to Pascal from Aquatuning UK for supplying me with some nice watercooling parts for this build.

Also i would like to thank Nate for the kindness of giving some nice discount!

Thanks guys!

Hereby the Aquatuning parts from Alphacool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very nice package as you can see!

Now, onto the new drawing for the internals, im finally happy with this layout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? I think its gonna be awesome! As you can also see the openings banner has changed! I finally have thought of a second color for this build, it was a hard call between blue and yellow, but went for yellow. Might gonna do something intresting with the decals as you can see in the background of the banner.

Stay tuned folks!

[​IMG]