1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Will my rig handle an upgrade to 2560 x 1440?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sonofalich, 10 Sep 2014.

1. Sonofalich

Sonofalich What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I'm currently running 2 x 1920 x 1080 monitors (BENQXL2420T x2)... and I've just been thinking about replacing both of them for a good 2560 x 1440 monitor.

I only play a few games really, Dota 2 and World of Warcraft.

My current setup is

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz
    Asus - P8Z77-V
    16GB 1600 MHZ ram
    Asus Nvidia GTX Titan 6GB
    Samsung 830 256GB SSD

Would my rig be able to handle the upgrade to 2560 x 1440? As its quite a huge jump in terms of pixels. I'd still like to be able to play games on Ultra... I appreciate the games I play probably don't need that much GFX power, probably more CPU.

Furthermore if this caused any lag, do you think it would be the CPU I'd need to upgrade or perhaps an additional Titan?

Wonder if anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks very much.

Was thinking of buying a second hand Dell u2711 from ebay since they seem rather cheap or perhaps the newer Dell u2713, although I'm unsure if I should jump on this "overclocking of IPS monitors" bandwaggon...

Cheers anyway guys!

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It would easily handle it, I've got a Dell 27" at that res never notice any lag in games and all games at Max setting

You should check NRG IT for the monitor they give a small discount for BT members good people to deal with

3. Sonofalich

But you have quad sli? Where as I only have the one card

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

The titan is a pretty powerful card apart the GPU's almost the same rigs and I had the Dell on just two card SLI and it was fine

5. Sonofalich

Which monitor would you recommend?

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Owning the Gigabyte version of the card & a not dissimilar system when it comes to gaming performance (ignoring irrelevant stuff then it's only having faster ram, a slightly higher cpu o/c & a single slot 460 for PhysX that could make any real difference between mine & yours), then it's all down to the game @ that kind of res.

Well, at a marginally higher res, stuff like Borderlands 2, Bioshock infinite &, when i had a quick look at it, Skyrim with the textures mod & whatnot all just ran...

...whereas certainly Rome II Total War had to have some settings lowered a bit from the absolute max.

That said, for some games that use PhysX, for example the last Batman game, whatever it was called, having the second card to off load that onto noticeably improved frame rates with stuff maxed...

...though naturally neither DOTA2 nor WOW use it so it may be irrelevant to you.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I would say that for the games you're playing then you'll be absolutely fine. If you suddenly tried to max out some of the most graphically intensive games out there you might find that you struggle a little.

As for screens - I would recommend what I use which is a U2713HM which I got from NRG:IT. I had read that some screens suffered from issues (backlight bleed and cross-hatching mainly) but they gave my screen a look over (at my request) to check for issues before sending it - excellent company to deal with :)

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If you only play DOTA 2 and WoW and have a titan..... then you don't even need to ask.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

At max settings be careful of dissing wows requirements as in mythic raiding on beta with addons my pair of 680s is beginning to show there age sub 40fps across the board which to me is very noticeable and that's only at 1080p max settings been max AA also. That's on a 22ms connection to the server as well.

If I drop AA to 4 it goes above 60 again but the requirements will really depend on the addons you plan on using and if your planning on raiding wod mythic content.

In open world or arena you will see it hit the FPS cap most people are using. Really does depend on what your playing. Should be fine on a Titan but a lot of people won't be fine.

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

My pc is about the same spec apart from the gpu which is a amd 290 and have no problem gaming at 2560x1440, i may have to knock the aa down a bit but thats no big deal at this res

11. Sonofalich

Well guys thanks very much for all the replies, I've decided to go ahead with the dell u2713 and I bought it through NRG IT.

Looking forward to some 1440p gaming! =)