1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress LilyPC V.2 by E.E.L. Ambiense - Final Photos

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 2 Aug 2014.

1. Bad Fenny

Bad Fenny What's a Dremel?

Great build . . . simplicity of the case/hardware with some sleek mods.

Cheers

Fen

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Update 9/8

Update time!

I've been plugging away at trying to get this lil' project wrapped up in time for the party this coming weekend. I've spent a lot of time on prep-work, etc to make sure the final outcome comes somewhat smoothly. So I've had to take care of a lot of little things along the way. Let's get to it.

I finally got around to finishing up on the fan's modifications. Pink LED installation, shortened fan cable, sleeved in rose pink paracord and a grill to fit in the feel!

[​IMG]

Along with the fan, I also created some modular cables for the Pico-ITX PSU in order to clean up the look of things as well as making it easier in case I have to remove anything in the rig. I decided on a Y-connector with the two SATA-level power connectors to go to the SSD as well as the optical drive up top. Most of the wiring will be hidden under a floor-panel, but you'll still see some of it. White connectors along with the paracord. I like working with it, and I hate sleeving.

[​IMG]

Finally finished up the mini-feet from MNPCTech to fit the theme!

[​IMG]

Finished up the optical drive's housing color too...

[​IMG]

The lovely SSD provided by ADATA is wonderful...

[​IMG]

...But it needs to fit in with the theme. So I gave it a facelift as well. Thanks, ADATA!

[​IMG]

And finally, that little badge goes here....

[​IMG]

I'll have more to come in the next few days to call this project a close!

Thanks for viewing. Toodles!

[​IMG]

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Lovin the ideas you're sharing, and that deadline is nearing!

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Your attention to details is amazing, as always:thumb:
    Great job so far EEL!

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks m8!

Thanks bro! Yes sir, gotta complete this thing and soon!

Thanks, Mike! It's funny, I was just looking at the Aurora; such a sexy project. I also gave you some stars. :)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sooo pink.:D

7. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Nice work! Super clean and crispy!

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

...Only if you pick at it too much. :baby:

Thanks man!

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

Update 9/11

Update time!

Things are moving along at the speed of light, so sometimes I forget to clicky the shutter!

Let's get to it.

I was going to use some spare hex-mesh I had laying about, but the issue being it was previously coated and I didn't feel like tearing it all down to bare metal again. I happened across some spare round modder's mesh from MNPCTech, so I figured I'd go ahead and use it! Thanks again, bro!

[​IMG]

It had some slight surface-rust from the lifespan, but nothing a little sanding and lacquer-thinner didn't clean up. I literally had the exact amount I needed too down to about an inch of extra. ...story of my life. :hehe:

Moving on to the side panel situation, I know I've been a bit quiet about the project. Usually I have some conceptual stuff but I just decided to wing it with this one. Anyway, I decided I was going to ditch both the side panels for the case. It just doesn't fit the clean feel I wanted it to have. So I basically recreated the panels in acrylic with dress-up stuff as well as some sneaky ingenuity.

The mobo side panel has built-in standoffs. Sure I could've just used some standoffs on the acrylic, but the biggest issue is the acrylic is too thin for the threads on the size standoffs I needed to use (2mm too much). I can sand too, sure, but what's the point? I went about it a little convoluted, but it worked like a charm. I decided I'd use set-screws instead. :)

So with the holes ready to go...

[​IMG]

I just needed to tap for 6-32...

[​IMG]

6-32 set-screws installed using Allen wrench...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now the outside of the panel is flush instead of having 2mm of threads sticking out.

[​IMG]

I simply install my female-to-female standoffs at the right length to try to replicate the stock panel (which I actually adjusted slightly because it was off from factory a bit -- go figure).

[​IMG]

...And installed. Three more like that and we're ready to go!

[​IMG]

Sure, I know I'll still have holes showing on the outside of the panel with the set-screws in it. But I planned for that too. The dress-up work takes care of that like this...

[​IMG]

No more visible panty-line -- er, standoff holes!

....And protective paper removed. I have some clean-up and polishing to do on a lot of stuff, but it's coming out how I envisioned it.

[​IMG]

Moving on the other side panel now, I decided no windows or anything. No need. After some much-appreciated advice regarding these mobos, I figured simply a mesh opening instead of an additional fan will work fine.

[​IMG]

I'm going to use double-sided tape to install the mesh. No need for anything complicated for this as it's a teeny little box.

[​IMG]

...Shot from the outside of the panel now....

[​IMG]

...And second layer applied!

[​IMG]

Again, I have a lot of cleaning to do when I get it all together, but I'm working as diligently as I can. I have a hard deadline of this weekend, but I'm giving myself until tomorrow night as I still have final photos to take care of to call this log completed!

Thanks for looking. See you soon! Toodles!

[​IMG]

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Impressive as usual. :thumb:

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

Update 9/12 - Completed!

Update time!

LilyPC is completed. Unfortunately I don't have final photos -- ran out of time. :( I will however get those taken care of early next week some time, so I can button up this log entirely. I do have some additional shots during my final assembly this evening. I didn't take a ton of meaningful photos as I was just trying to complete the build.

Let's get to it, shall we?

1st off, I had been meaning to create some sort of wire/cable management unit similar to the 'wire comb' that everyone has basically their own version of; the one thing I've found messing with any of them that I have come across is the fact that the wires can pop out of them easily. And having a completely round hole is great, only it would be a shame to have to remove pins just to remove the wire from the comb.

I decided to split the difference.

[​IMG]

Now, the wire won't pop out of the cavity, but it's also fairly easy to remove the wires when/if necessary. And they're specifically designed to fit in with this project. :)

Showing installation...

[​IMG]

Some additional assembly shots...

[​IMG]

False-floor to cover up the wiring and dress up the inside a bit more. The lace sets it off a bit more for me. My wife thought I was nuts at 1st until she saw it completed -- then she realized what I meant.

[​IMG]

Some more shots of the interior...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back plate with recessed captive nut for the power jack. Main reason I did that is the material was too thick for the jack's threads and I couldn't track down a replacement that had longer threads on it. This came out a lot better anyway; it's clean.

[​IMG]

Back I/O area...

[​IMG]

Front completed and assembled...

[​IMG]

Assembled shot of LilyPC! (well, minus the other side panel attached, but just wanted to show interior too). :) I didn't get too many shots of the process, but that's my custom plunger power switch. Acrylic bevel holds it in place and allows movement in and out of the case slightly when button is pressed. Works like a charm, and best of all it's not yet-another bloody Bulgin rip-off vandal switch! ;)

[​IMG]

Alright, that's all I have for now. I'm going to get things cleaned up, wires tidied up, polished and ready to go for her party soon. I actually got it done! You believe that? As I stated earlier, I'll be back with final photos to call the log entirely done.

I greatly appreciate the watching! Take care and see you soon! Toodles!

[​IMG]

12. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Very cool man turned out awesome!...i gotta hide this from my girlfriend or one of my builds might get bumped aside lol

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks man! Hahah, close the browser window. ;)

Thanks man! Lily turned 13 on Sept. 11th, so it's pretty appropriate for her tastes. Not necessarily mine, but that's irrelevant. Just trying to make something as cool as I could in the relatively-little time allotted for doing so. Shoulda just done this the 1st go'round instead of the mid-tower. Oh well. :hehe:

14. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Hoping she inherits the "Modding Bug" after looking and using her new custom PC everyday :D

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Awesome stuff, I seemed to have missed this. My daughters would love this on their desk.

Nice work.

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Awesome work man! Loads of details, immaculate finish, perfectly done project:thumb:

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahah. Nah, she was more amazed at the case as a whole but doesn't understand how or why for case modding. You know the usual reaction when 'normal people' learn what you do -- "You cut a hole a computer? On purpose?" hahahah

Thanks for the kind words man!

Thanks man! Hopefully I can get final polished studio photos up in the next few days to call the project entirely completed.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

Update 9/22 - Final Photos

As promised...

Final Photos
    Click thumbs for larger image

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you & sincerest appreciation to MNPCTech and ADATA for the continued support, and most of all, patience!

Thank you, everyone! I'll see you with the next project!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Sep 2014