1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD replacement and possible GFX upgrade.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BiotecVirus, 16 Sep 2014.

1. BiotecVirus

BiotecVirus Everything should use Torx Screws

After 7 years hard work one of my sata-zero'ed HDD's seems to have died making the "clicking noise of death" and the Motherboard refuses to get into BIOS while it is plugged in. Typically i had just formated my external backup HDD and was copying all the data back accross due to clutter. Could not have happened at a worse time lol.

I was wondering as I have been out of the hardware loop for awhile and I know you all will have a better idea than me on what would be a good replacement?

I was looking at a http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500gb-wd-wd5003azex-caviar-black-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache-oem due to some good writeups and performance stats.

I already have a 60GB Intel SSD for the OS, a 120GB SSD currently under RMA and due back soon for games than I will use often/steam etc, the other 500GB HDD but this will be used for video recording dumps and the like due to its age and the 1.5TB external backup HDD.

Im also rocking a XFX 5830 and thought while I was fully rebuilding the pc maybe upgrading that as well. Ive looked at the R9 270X as an option but ain't sure as of yet.

Thanks
    Best regards
    BiotecVirus

2. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Personally I would go for the WD green 3tb, excellent hdd's and 3tb seems to be best bang for buck price point at 75 quid from scan ATM.

Would need to know what you intend to play and at what resolution to say anything about gfx

3. BiotecVirus

Can certainly have alook at that and for the extra 25 quid I thats alot of extra GB!

1920 x 1080 is what im looking at, cpu is an I5 K edition OC'ed to 4.2 ghz with 8gb of ram to play with. There is a second monitor as well but at 1260 x 1080 or somthing if that would have any effect (which I don't belive it does).

4. Xaine

A 270 would be OK in that though would be worth looking at the 280's saying that if your going to that price point, MSI 290 twn frzr is on ocuk ATM for £260 which is an amazing deal which I will be going for myself within the week, I also run at 1080 but will be looking at higher resolutions soon which is why the 290 is my choice.

Definitely a good idea to have a nvidea veteran share his opinion also as I'm a bit of an and fanboy when it comes to gfx

5. BiotecVirus

Currently the 290 is out of my price point and the 280 may be a stuggle. I could always wait a few months though as my 5830 cuts the mustard still thanks to a small amount of OC and the lucid software on asus motherboards.

I would have no idea what Nvidias option would be currently as the last time I had one of those was a 8800GTS! lol

6. Xaine

I've always considered nvidea to be great if cost is not your worry, they make exceptional graphics units but as far as I'm concerned they overcharge, be worth looking into the 270 for sure, from what I've read its a great little GPU for 1080 gaming at a fantastic price, but a previous thread earlier this year lead toward nvidea being a little better at that price point.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Do you mind if you go second hand? You can pick up 280X's for around £100 - £130 on your popular auction site. Excellent cards for the money. That's where mine would go. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one for the extra cash when you can get second hand 290X's for £250.

8. BiotecVirus

Ill have a quick look into nvidia but ill probally stick with the ati for now. I've also bene looking at the larger hard drive as it is only a few quid for the extra space, even from the 500GB to the 1TB or 2TB (3tb may be abit overkill).

That is somthing I have not actually thought about doing. My only concern would be with regards to warrenty etc depending on how old the gfx card is and how it has been treated.