1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This is top content - like the Bit-tech of yesteryear :lol:

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Kind of like the swimsuit fiasco?

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

in the middle of a game i get kicked out by windows who suddenly tells me my windows isnt genuine, my guitar hero controller ( for social frets on fire ) suddenly doesnt work, neither does my Xbox 360 controller. they both have had their drivers disables and updating them only brings up a message saying 'you might be the victim of counterfeiting blah blah blah'
    online windows says i have an invalid licence now after X amount of time...

im guessing its down to the motherboard that i had to sell as the PCI-E slot wasnt functional and this ( the replacement ) needing a new code

£100 down the drain on a new code i would think

4. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Which Windows do you have??

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Do they not have the phoneline anymore?

I had to call it ages ago after a partial upgrade when on Vista IIRC, quick call, automated code and activated again no problem as it was legit. I think it only triggers when a points level is triggered depending on the parts or combination of parts that are upgraded.

6. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Yeah the phone line will sort the issue if it's Win 7 or below. Not sure about Win 8 but I think the code is based on the hardware. I could be wrong as I haven't used Win 8 on any of my hardware.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Use the automated phone system. I had to do this when I installed the Gene board I got from you last week. I thought my HTPC would need a reinstall but it booted straight up fine (minus the windows activation).

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

im on 7 Pro 64 bit.

ill try the phone activation at some point when i have the time, although with my new Msata SSD i might just re-install to that and then activate it on there

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

In my experience you can activate the majority of retail codes over the phone an almost indefinite number of times. Applies to W8 too.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, I've done phone activation about 20 times over the years. It's no big deal, just takes a bit of time keying the code groups in to the pad.

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Aye - while it is a pain, it works a treat :thumb:

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Money anxiety

Trying to please multiple people at the same time, no matter how much I try I can't seem to get money to go around. Wanting to drive my girlfriend to work when I can't afford it. my mum basically telling me I should claim money from her for the smallest journeys, my friends wanting me to come out despite having no money and seeing it as a poor excuse of me being cheap and lazy.

I've started to get some of my old stress habits back, motor tics and the like with some added features.

When it gets particularly bad it feels like someone's standing on my chest and I can't seem to get enough oxygen. I get frustrated and get even more stressed out because even the deepest breathes don't seem to satisfy me. seems to be getting worse as times get tighter.

I'm staring at a stack of practically new books that don't seem to sell no matter the price, I've got to the point of looking at stuff I really don't want to sell.

EDIT: had what I can only assume as an anxiety attack this evening, I deliberately left the room and headed for the garden, felt breathless and found it hard to catch a satisfying breath. felt extremely panicked and frustrated in the process and had no idea what to do

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014
  13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Am I the only one having problems with the forum? Each time I try to go see my profile, It open a blank page with 'The bit-tech.net Forums database has encountered a problem' it's be a few days now : /

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's a known thing, there's even a stick at the top of each forum regarding it...

It's the fault of Hamsters/Tribbles/Wrong Kind of Leaves/UKIP/Redshirts/Timey Wimey things/Aliens/Shirty... [Delete as appropriate]

hopefully it'll get fixed soon though...

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

I had doubts, I thought I was banned or something : / T.T

16. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Not sure if this is life-ruining but I'm having some issues with my XFX 5770 HD Radeon card.. for some odd reason, it's running at 56 degrees C while idle.. I ran furmark for 15 minutes.. never went past 90 degrees C... I was told that it's a hot running card.. I have no clue what does that mean..

May have a faulty card or whatever.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2014
  17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

A hot running card runs hot at idle, just like a hot running CPU- not a very (power) efficient design so consumes more wattage = runs hotter even when it's not being taxed.

Might not hurt to check the heatsink and fans are attached properly/not clogged.

Stop trying to please everyone, you will never succeed. If friends think/call you a cheapskate, then they aren't good friends, a real friend would understand your financial situation and not pressure you so far as to get in debt ( essentially speaking ) just so you can hang out with them. State in very clear terms your situation at the moment; if they still call you cheap & lazy, then f*ck 'em, find other people to hang with who don't expect you to piss all your cash up the wall and call it a night out. I dunno about claiming money form your GF for driving her to work occasionally, but if she understands your financial situation ( talk to her, really talk... ), then she won't begrudge paying for the next petrol stop ( tenners worth say ), assuming she isn't in the same boat as you, or worse in terms of employment and cash flow.

Keep your head up, don't let things get on top of you, just prioritise. :thumb:

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Neil is right, it sounds like your 'friends' aren't really your friends if they can't understand your situation and just call you cheap and lazy.

Just start to prioritise, tell people plainly what you can afford to do, when etc, and then see how the cards fall.

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

56 is OK, the 5770 have always been running hot.

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

My hd 5770 vapor x sapphire sits at 36 degrees