1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 Sep 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Personally I don't mind the price. Yes there are cheaper keyboards but the keyboard is the thing I use the most and as long as it is a quality product, spending an extra £50-£80 over what I would have spent on something else is worth it to me. Especially if it has that 'smile' factor that a year or more from now still makes me happy to have it.

I am a little puzzled by the 'Ultra Extreme' award as there is the CGK95 version but I guess this is still an extreme product. I have been looking forward to this keyboard to launch for so long, I can't wait to see what profiles others come up with over the next few months... and to see how the software develops. Maybe Corsair can incorporate a skinable mode for the modder community to utilise?

The biggest worry for me is the move to mechanical and always has been. I know they are a world apart from membrane keyboards and you have various options to choose from too. Without places to try them out it is almost impossible to make the correct informed choice without guess work and that is a mighty guess considering the price.
    The likely end result will be that when I choose to buy one (and I will eventually get one but I am in no rush) I will learn about the key options and then order my chosen mech along with the RGB membrane version, probably from Amazon so I can have a little play and then return the one I choose not to keep with no fear of not getting a refund. More than anything else, this is something that has to be tried BEFORE decided.

P.S. Thanks very much for the review Gareth... I am sure I will study it detail many times over the next few weeks or months.

Now I just need the ASUS Impact VII review... :D

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Europe: The place where shops in cities are split five ways between female fashion, fast food, phone shop, optician and boarded up.

But other than that little barrier I fully agree, keyboard and mice are just something that requires a literal hands on approach for a buying decision.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Having briefly owned a K70 (for the experience) I know this is a nice keyboard without having used it. The high price was expected due to the R&D costs that Corsair will undoubtedly have racked up working on this project with Cherry, but I just struggle to think of a scenario where I would actually use the programmable lighting for anything other that sh1ts and giggles.

5. Xploitedtitan

Xploitedtitan What's a Dremel?

Little question: is that Corsair Gaming badge standard? If yes, can it be removed without traces?

I find it swearing on such a fine and sober keyboard.

6. Dogbert666

@SchizoFrog - If you're yet to try mechanical, then definitely make you try before you buy. They're not for everyone - I love them, along with many others on this very forum, but Antony for example has never gotten on too well with them.

P.S. My name is Matt! :p

P.P.S - We are still working on getting the Impact in. Atm all I can say is hopefully soon. We're just as keen to review it as you are to read about it here :)

7. Dogbert666

It is, and as far as I can see it would be difficult to remove cleanly :(

8. SchizoFrog

Sorry Matt, my bad... Got mixed up with Gareth's CoolerMaster keyboard article.

Good to know about the ASUS so I guess it is several weeks away if you haven't even got one in yet... Oh well. I know it will come eventually.

9. Xploitedtitan

Guess I'll have to do my first keyboard modding once I get my hands on it. :rock:

EDIT: Seems there's a little punch in the aluminium to glue the Corsair plate level. Guess some localized heating might help to take it off.
    Now need to have some preliminary ideas on how to replace the free space. XD

10. Dogbert666

Googly eyes.

11. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

mechanical key switches in the guise of cherry MXes are far from ideal for gaming, and it's only a matter of time until everyone is raving on about a new kind of microswitch, perhaps the omron kind used in mice coupled with a weighted scissor-like mechanism (hint hint), but that keyboard does look verrrry pretty. The price is irrelevant as it's such a niche item and you'll either buy it or not. I still have a 128MB stick of corsair value ram in my draw from one of my early computer builds, it's purely sentimental these days! :)

12. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

This is one of those keyboards that belongs at conventions and LAN parties, but would you leave £140 worth of keyboard unattended at such events? Personally, I'm yet to try a mechanical keyboard (modern one at least, had a play on 60's ones and loved them!) but I'm sticking with my choice of a Func KB-460.

13. SchizoFrog

Any news on the K65 (10 key-less) version? I know there is supposed to be one but can't find one listed anywhere.

14. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

£140 for a keyboard?.....HAHAHAHA!!, you is having a laugh.

15. Xploitedtitan

Has been announced on another website 2 hours ago.

K65 RGB: $149.99 MSRP (available exclusively from Best Buy in the US, and other retailers worldwide)

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

They might be expensive, but they'll sell in their thousands ;)

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

All i know is, I've still got the Corsair K60 I won at the bit-tech pub-quiz a couple years ago (typing on it now!) And I couldn't recommend it enough. It does exactly what it says on the tin, and does it quite well, to the point where I bought another one to use on my station at work.

If the basic keyboard is still just as good, then they've got a good product due to the level of customisation, its not my cup of tea, but will do well.

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Got my k 70 when they just came out. Best board I have ever had. Looks and usage I love it

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You can always opt for the £40 cheaper old K70 with "only" single colour backlight.

20. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Been on the 'mechanical keyboard' train for a while now, having a Logitech G710+ (brown switches), a Corsair K90 (red) and now a K70 (brown) - luvvit.

Tags: Add Tags