1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Linux, OS X hit by Shellshock Bash vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm starting to see why you may have encountered negative reactions from people you meet. Not from open source enthusiasts, necessarily: all people everywhere. You really are rather odious, aren't you? "Waah, open source people are nasty!" But you're nasty! "Well, I'm allowed to be." Furrfu.
    Read Microsoft's documentation on the matter and then come back to me. Sorry, read and understand Microsoft's documentation on the matter. Important distinction, that.
    You see that, Phil? That's a sensible attitude. Why do you care what anybody else uses? Why spend so much time trying to convince the world to see things your way? Live and let live. Use whatever works for you, and let others do the same.

adidan likes this.
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't. I care what they constantly try to tell me to use, especially when they're attempting to do so with baseless arguments which have more to do with politics than technology and are based on almost complete ignorance of my use case.

And yes, they do this constantly. It is impossible to be a linux user and a windows user without being the constant target of this, so I'm fully aware that you know exactly what I mean, and no, I don't feel under any particular obligation to be polite about it anymore. I've tried to be helpful, I've tried to be nice, I've tried to get involved with open source projects and lend my expertise. Politeness doesn't work. Now, something at some point happened to make me feel this way about it. You know the community and you know how the people in it behave. You work out what.

P

Last edited: 26 Sep 2014
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I call untruths. Every single time there's a Linux thread on bit, you stick your oar in. Nobody seeks you out and attempts to forcibly convert you to Linux, but you actively attempt to discredit it at every available opportunity. Constantly, and ironically enough with baseless arguments - like the temporary files thread linked above, or with your claims that open source software is somehow of lower quality than closed source when it has been independently proven to be the other way around. You're a troll, and I shall take great pleasure in pointing people to this very thread in the future whenever you butt in to subjects that you claim hold no interest for you. You are exposed for what you truly are, Phil. Thanks for making it much, much easier to discredit you in the future.

I presume you have some evidence of this? You've presented none so far.
    Again, I would like to see evidence. I've never seen you be helpful or nice when the topic of Linux comes up, and as for 'expertise' - you didn't even know that office suites create temporary lock-files until this very thread, so I'd frankly question the value of said 'expertise.'

Additionally, if you have 'given up being polite,' then I suggest you stay away from topics that raise your dander. I would remind you that these forums have rules against trolling and rudeness that will be enforced by the moderation team.
    Do you know what a sane, well-rounded and mentally well-adjusted person does when someone is mean to them? They stop associating with that person. Do you know what a sane, well-rounded and mentally well-adjusted person doesn't do when someone is mean to them? Go on a years-long vendetta against a millions-strong grouping of which said someone is a member. Y'see what I'm saying, here? I was once punched by a guy in an Adidas tracksuit. I'm not a fan of said guy, but I have nothing against people wearing Adidas tracksuits - and I certainly don't spend my time going onto web forums and telling people how Adidas is ebul and stoopid and terribull as a result.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2014
  5. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

The world needs a safe and secure OS. Safe from hackers, safe from spies, safe from vulnerabilities.

Personally I find it hard to believe that so many serious, or potentially serious, bugs and vulnerabilities get found so often.

Can it really be so hard to have created operating systems so long ago, and the OS's are still providing access to every Tom, DICK and Harry who wants our data for whatever horrid reasons???

I just ... find it so friggin hard to believe.

6. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

But we don't just want our systems to be secure from hackers, we also want it to not ask us for a password every time we want to open a file, change a setting or connect to a wifi. We want USB devices to automatically be detected.We want disks that automatically start when we insert them. We expect it to be secure while maintaining maximum convenience for us. Not only that but we also want it to use minimal resources, be backwards compatible with all programs from the last 20 years and respond to everything immediately. Sure we could create a system that is secure, most toasters and kettles don't get viruses (and they sometimes include microchips now too), but that isn;t a type of system we want to use. So we need to strike a balance between functionality and security. Operating systems are incredibly complex involving millions of lines of code written over multiple years. At some point a new scenario will be exploited that just wasn't thought about or even possible at the time that code was written. People make mistakes, programmers too.

7. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Sure some people always think they know best. Some people will always tell people what to do, not only windows and linux users but users of every program, politicians, the media, everyone else. That doesn't mean everyone in a certain group is the same. Not all linux users will try to 'convert' others, neither will all windows or all mac users. Some will, but by no means all. But just because some people of a particular group try to influence you, doesn't mean you should hate them all. I've met people of every camp trying to tell me operating system x is better, and people of every camp who respect my choice. It's just a matter of ignoring the idiots, trolls and fanboys/girls.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Yeah, but Adidas isn't stupid (they may be evil), but Linux is pretty stupid. Or more to the point, its users are generally are, which in a situation where the users and the developers overlap to such an enormous degree is more or less the same thing.

I don't feel under much pressure to give you what we might call evidence, to start listing recent instances of what we might call linux zealot encounters for you to pick apart because I'm fully aware that you know full well how linux people tend to react to anyone outside their clique. I'm not going to play that game. Suffice to say that I occasionally - when I can't reasonably avoid it - run open source software under windows and occasionally I need support, and I am invariably told that I should ditch After Effects and start using kdenlive under [insert fashionable distro-o-the-week-here].

So yes, I'm fed up with being told off by people with neither knowledge, professional experience or life experience, and I make no apology whatsoever for my robust response. These people are idiots, idiots whose opinions bear even the slightest weight only becuase they seem to be common to the overwhelming majority of linux people.

What I'm doing to you is what linux users do to literally everyone else. If you don't like it, start being part of the solution.

P

9. Gareth Halfacree

Dig yourself deeper, Phil. Linux powers 485 of the Top500 list of the world's most powerful supercomputers - you reckon the majority of those users are stupid? (Windows, incidentally, powers two - and they're both way down the list - of which one is Microsoft's own Azure.)

Because you don't have any. Want to see my evidence that you post anti-Linux stuff in threads where nobody has even mentioned Windows or attempted to contact you in any way? Ta-da!
    Except it's not a response, Phil. Look at your post history: nobody is trying to convince you to use Linux. You're actively seeking Linux threads to feed your poison into.
    Lovely.
    That's a bald-faced lie. I'm a Linux user: show me where I have ever behaved like you. Go ahead. I've never denigrated Windows, I've never told people they're stupid for not running Linux. You're the problem, Phil. You have a serious attitude problem, and it's been laid bare for all to see - and for me to link to as background the next time you post a "my 'Linux laptop' doesn't do X, therefore Linux is terribad" thread. Hooray!

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Two things

Incorrect. I do use both and have never experienced anything of which you claim.

Also incorrect, I am part of literally everyone else and never had any of this done to me ergo it cannot apply to literally everyone else.

In all seriousness I think there must be more at work here than a mere operating system and, with all sincerity, I hope you resolve it.

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

This made me chuckle :D
    My toaster has been ejecting too early recently ... :worried:

But yes, just a matter of time before the 'integrated home' which is accessible remotely, is hacked to high heaven.

I don't agree that offering the public new wonderful ways of computing should be the answer to: why can't we have a secure OS?

The OS should be secure first and foremost and grow while remaining secure.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Given the choice between convenience and security, convenience wins in the eyes of most users... these same users then whine when nekkid pictures of them end up on internet... [not defending apple/blaming those affected, i have first hand knowledge of what a gigantic cluster**** icloud is...]

13. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

What that should really say is:

Because of that you go off and offend all linux users, meaning the previously reasonable users who you don't notice simply because they kept out of such arguments get pulled in to the vocal hater group as well. They do the same thing as you: one subgroup of windows users offends them so they offend the all windows users. They problem just escalates.

Really this says it all

And any Linux user who now turns from reasonable to a hater can say the same thing. They now have the excuse to hate back. If we fight fire with fire the problem grows exponentially; if every time one person gets offended they offend two others in turn with the justification "they started it" it's never going to end. If we stop passing it on it dies down.

What is the solution then? Start behaving in exactly the way that others are and that annoys you? That isn't a solution, it's just a poor justification for petty tit for tat "but they started it" attacks on others.

Windows and Linux users can work together if they want to, I've seen it done. I do it only a daily basis. I use both Linux and Windows and work together with others who use one or the other, or both as well, without a problem. People just need to grow up, gain some tolerance and stop generalising groups of people. No operating system is simply "better" than an other, it's all a matter of taste. You can't generalise everyone in a user group. Both (and all other) groups have idiots in them, unfortunately those people are often the most vocal, but that doesn't mean they're the only ones that exist, we just don't notice the others as easily. Tolerance and simply ignoring people who offend you is the only solution. Everything else is just giving everyone an excuse to carry on.

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

there are Linux (jehovas) users out there, that do try to tell you how much better Linux is than windows, I have experienced it, I usually tell them I am quite happy using windows and that they won't convert me. edit: there are windows equivalents as well

like someone else said though, I don't really care what someone else uses, that's up to them, when I am asked about macs as a machine, I just say they are a tool the same as a windows pc, I say they do the same jobs, but you do pay more for macs, I also point out that macs are more or less a closed system (hardware wise) so they don't have to make mac os work with billions of different combinations of hardware, whereas windows pc's can and do vary in the billions. I think Linux also has the same problem as windows pc's in that there could be billions of combinations of hardware, except, it probably doesn't have the number of different drivers windows pcs have, i'm not saying Linux won't have all the drivers required, its just harder to find them

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Put some damn clothes on then. :D

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You claim on a public forum that Linux users are generally stupid and then you are surprised if they don't roll out the red carpet for you and kiss your butt wherever you go?

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/26/apple-os-x-users-safe-bash-flaw-update-soon/

Apple seem to be fairly bullish on their response to this:
    I do wonder what they mean by "advanced UNIX services" though. Obviously I can see this having a much bigger impact on the vast majority of web servers and indeed company servers.

19. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Sep 2014
    will_123 likes this.
  20. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Gareth how you can even get the effort to reply to him is beyond me. Every post loosely relating to Linux he appears..