1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 1150 CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by s1n1s, 30 Sep 2014.

1. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

Could anyone suggest a relatively good cheap CPU cooler for the 1150 socket, that's not too shabby for overclocking.

I don't really want to spend anymore than £40, ideal price would be between £20 and £30.

I've looked myself but can't seem to find any decent reviews.

ccurrently my top choice is this http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/seidon/seidon-120v/ was wondering if any of you have used or use it.

Also what are the sort of temperatures should I expect with haswell chips, since I'm finally upgrading from LGA775 and I tend to get temps of around 40C to 50C at load (air cooled).

Last edited: 30 Sep 2014
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

EPIC cooler for the money. :)

Temperatures are anyone's guess. The chip is too unpredictable.

I wouldn't worry about temperatures, unless they're obviously wrong. My very first 4770K hit 100c (throttle temp) at stock under one of the very best air coolers on the market. It got returned and replaced, and the second hit the lower 90s when it was running at 4.5GHz and 1.35v on the core.

s1n1s likes this.
  3. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

much obliged, I have purchased one now.

4. TheMadDutchDude

For what it is worth, they're pretty much silent under normal usage conditions, but can get a little noisy when things heat up.

I've one in the server downstairs, and it idles 99.9% of the day. It's absolutely whisper quiet. The Sky+HD box makes more noise than the entire system.

5. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

kl I have loud speakers and good headphones haha

thanks for the heads up

6. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Little late but there are several very good coolers in the £20-40 range.
    Best is probably TRUE Spirit 140 Power for about £35 .. but it is tall at 171mm. Deepcool Lucifer is less than £30, as is Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure.

7. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

+1 on the Hyper 212 Evo. Also the Hyper 412S

8. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

Yeah I did look at the Deepcool Lucifer and the Cooler Master Hyper 412S but couldn't find any substantial reviews on them. (I only looked very briefly at time, as was very eager to order since having ordered all else but the cooler XD).

Having spent a little time looking for these particular coolers, I have found some good reviews will link them for others to reference in the future.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Deepcool/Lucifer/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/cpu_cooler_roundup_2013_q1_review,1.html

good shout guys,

much appreciated

9. TheMadDutchDude

Avoid the Lucifer. They're absolutely awful. I was looking forward to reviewing it as it looked promising... sadly, it was far from that. LOL.

10. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Link to review please?

11. TheMadDutchDude

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

13. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Play3r definitely didn't like the Lucifer and I have not personally tested it. I know a couple of reviewers who have and their opinion is it is a good cooler for it's price. I have read several reviews and the consensuses is the same.

Have you reviewed it? If so could I have a link to your review?

It would be interesting to know what test system was used(open bench or in a case) and what the cooler intake air temp was compared to room ambient. Reviewer says he had to mount the fan on back of cooler and his picture shows the fan as intake.. I wonder what the air temperature going into fan mounted like this is rather than in traditional front position .. the way other coolers in comparison most likely had their fans mounted.

I test many coolers and have find cooler intake temp is not the same as room ambient. Difference is much greater when testing inside a case, but also varies on open bench as well .. sometimes as much as 8c higher than room ambient.

Is it a great cooler? No. But it does much better than many in it's price range .. in fact it performs as good as many costing significantly more. After all we are talking about a cooler costing less than £30.00.

14. TheMadDutchDude

That editor for the article is me. Haha.

The ambient temperature was more or less the same. It was always measured before AND during the testing. All testing was done on an open air test bench so there was no case surrounding it.

15. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Ambient room temperature is not the same thing as cooler intake air temperature. Sorry, but "more or less the same" is rather vague. No case surrounding it is better, but we still do not know what the temperature of air going into cooler is.
    Monitoring the temperature in front of cooler intake tells us what the air temperature going into cooler is.
    Monitoring the room temperature only tells us what the air temperture is where the thermometer is located .. which may but is probably not the same as cooler intake.

16. TheMadDutchDude

This is why the delta temperature was always measured rather than the loaded temperatures. It therefore eliminates the slight differences in room temperatures and leaves it down to the mounting of the cooler and the actual performance of the cooler.

The thermometer was always in the same place, and it was 30cm away from the cooler.

17. doyll

doyll Minimodder

No idea what you mean by "delta temperature" rather than "loaded temperature". To me "loaded temp is the temp reading with system under load .. and "delta" temp is CPU temp minus the room ambient.
    If CPU reading is 70c and room is 20c, the delta is 50c.

Using room temperature is testing the system in the room, not the cooler.
    To test the cooler the actual temperature of air entering cooler needs to be monitored, not the room air temperature. Like I said before, on an open test system they may be the same, but unless the cooler intake temp is monitored there is no way of knowing if they in fact are the same. ;)

I have never seen them the same when testing in a case.