1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks 100mb cabling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoenixck, 30 Sep 2014.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Just moved house and want to wire upstairs to have the modem router and main gaming pc . the virgin box on the wall thingy is downstairs is it just a matter of running cat 5e from the box on the wall to upstairs?

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'm not sure on moving point of entry of Virgin cable but I suspect you can't. If I were you I would run a cat 5e or cat6 cable from downstairs to a gigabit switch upstairs. You then cable into the switch or put a wifi access point there. Or both if you fancy it.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Double post please ignore. Sorry.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Coaxial cable is what you need. But it isn't the most flexible or easy to hide stuff.

You could just turn the Superhub into modem mode, run a flat easily hid Ethernet cable upstairs then have a router of your choice on the end of that.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You can wire ethernet cable from the modem to wherever you want it. But if the coaxial cable from the box on the wall is downstairs then that is where the modem will need to be. Unless you get virgin to install more copper cabling upstairs.

Bah beaten to it.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That sounds like a very complicated and expensive solution, when all he really needs to do is run a single Ethernet cable from the Superhub to a switch in his room. Why buy extra hardware when the Superhub is already a router?

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Nah not complicated, it's just an option, I wasn't a massive fan of the Superhub.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's fine, but there's no indication from phoenixck that he's in any way dissatisfied with the Superhub. As for complexity:
    Research routers
    Pick one ranging in price from £30 to £150
    Lose internet connectivity
    Run wire upstairs
    Connect up new router
    Configure new router for internet access
    Regain internet connectivity
    Done

Compares poorly to:
    Research switches
    Buy one ranging in price from £5 to £20
    Run wire upstairs
    Connect up new switch
    Done

Especially given that we're talking about someone who refers to the Superhub as the "Virgin box on the wall thingy," i.e. has little to no networking experience. (Which is fine, we all have our strengths and weaknesses - I can network in my sleep, but never could get my head around the offside rule...)

To clarify to OP: If you just want to connect one PC in your room to the Superhub, then yes you can just run a Cat5 cable. If you want to connect more than one PC in your room to the Superhub, you'll need a cheap switch like this one for £13 delivered. You don't need to run co-ax cable, nor do you need a new router unless you find the Superhub isn't doing what you need.

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Just moved house, I have the router by the phone socket, an ethernet to a switch upstairs in a cupbiard with a microsever then off that an ethernet to another switch which the computers connect to.

Wire was cheap and additional switch was cheap enough

10. phoenixck

Just to let you know I was referring to the plastic box where the cables come in Gareth not the superhub :). However the switch idea isn't actually a bad idea cheers. Will be using the superhub for now bit will be changing eventually.

11. phoenixck

I suppose the question I should really have asked is do I extend the co ax cable upstairs or run an Ethernet cable upstairs the length is under 150 foot

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

personally I would run Ethernet, that way, if you have a problem, you haven't changed the cable the engineer originally put in

13. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! Fair enough. I'm still using my BT Home Hub 5 for routing, although I'm using a separate server for DHCP and my old ADSL router for Wi-Fi. I should really replace the HH5, but I'm too darn cheap to spend money on a VDSL router...

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Eh, I'd just run homeplugs. Mine are getting close to 100mb easily, without the hassle of running extra cables.