1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

TheeMadDutchDude ?? You can install fresh from ISO, you can upgrade from W7/8/8.1.

2. HeaverNothing

HeaverNothing Professional Idiot

I can imagine this guy just being like " We took a good OS and a bad OS and crushed them together to make Windows 10"
    [​IMG]

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Well OSX does that with Yosemite and an iOS combo, so expect it to be adopted at some point. I would expect Google to enable it for Android first though.

MS is still running around in circles trying to work out what direction to go in. Maybe windows 10 is it, but while they are still focussing on the bloody start menu and whether an application should be allowed to run in a window or not, they not bringing anything actually better than what came before.

Use a keyboard + mouse? Windows 10 is just as good as Windows 7!
    Use a touchscreen? Windows 10 is just as good as Windows 8!

But oooooohhh we get to copy and paste in a command prompt. Progress at last!

4. faugusztin

To be honest, the general notifications going through toasts is fine for now - various software which would pop up notifications in tray showing notifications in a consistent way is a good start.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well got it installed on a VHD alongside my 8.1 install... and well...

The menu - if it'd been like this from day 1, 8.x probably wouldn't have had half the grief it did. Tile placement is still crap [imo] and i won't be happy until it works the way it does on WP... but you can resize the menu height wise which is nice. Tile grouping is gone too [BOO!] as is the ability to pin multiple apps to the start at once, hopefully they'll come back as imo it's a step backwards if they don't.

The menu's colour [along with the lock screen] is now tied to the colour of the taskbar... which is bloody annoying especially when it's on 'Automatic' [based on wallpaper colour] and you have a slideshow of multiple wallpapers, you end up with your start menu/lock screen in a whole kaleidoscope of eye-bleed inducing colours... so again, *hopefully* they'll let you colour it/them separately of the taskbar/window borders...

And that's pretty much as far as I've got...

EDIT: Driver wise i've not run into any issues, though the odd installer has gone 'dafuq is this?' but that's kinda to be expected at this point...

EDIT 2: It seems the drivers for my Intel ethernet don't want to install and windows doesn't come with drivers for it [though neither did 8.x], thankfully/luckily my board as WiFi which is working fine...

Last edited: 2 Oct 2014
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Perhaps it should do what Apple does and ignore the public and pursue its own vision. Then again, for that it need a visionary like Steve Jobs.

The public doesn't know what it wants. Windows 8 was not like Windows 7 enough; now articles are complaining that Windows 10 is too much like Windows 7. As if people haven't been moaning for that to happen since Windows 8 came out.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  7. faugusztin

I218-V not recognized here, I211 works.

8. RedFlames

Had it completely lock up once or twice, though i think that's because i have it installed to a VHD...

Other things I've noticed - there's 'check for new builds' button in windows update [in the settings app]... which combined with a April '15 expiry date for the current preview, and a 'late 2015' ETA for 10 implies there's gonna be more than one preview and you should be able to 'upgrade' to the new one as and when it's released...

Yeah that's the one I have, all the other intel gubbinz installed fine though...

9. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Got a few VM's up and installed.
    For those who seem to be running it as main OS... May the relix be with you.

10. RedFlames

I tried in on a VM first, but neither Virtualbox nor hyper-V seemed to like it very much, though the dinky little pentium in my PC isn't exactly well suited to VM work...

11. Votick

Using work's ESXi Cluster :)
    Runs beautifully.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Mine is on vmware workstation and works well also.

You can use the VMware player which is free and should have similar results.

13. RedFlames

I've set the dual-boot up now... cba messing with it...

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

[​IMG]

15. faugusztin

Outside the one bug with Cisco VPN (found a W8 fix, which fixed it for me too) and the bloody Broadcom Bluetooth Tray freezing apps on text input (solved by removing that piece of crap) i have yet to hit any big issues.

16. Votick

How rude, No love for Broadcom? *sad face*

17. RedFlames

My rig has Broadcom BT but i've had no issues with it.. though i am just using the default drivers that come with windows...

18. faugusztin

I don't have problem with Broadcom. I have problem with their Tray application, which in it's infinite wisdom needs a Caps Lock/Num lock indicator feature (no idea why does a BLUETOOTH Tray application needs to provide a keyboard lock indicator functionality), which then freezes apps in Windows 10.

19. RedFlames

Nice... install office [365 in my case] and none of them appear in 'all apps'... thank bob the search works... also 'pin to start' is inconsistent as feck and a pain the rear end...

No windows, I don't want 'Control panel' pinning with the live tiles [that's where it puts all new pins by default]... and why won't you let me DnD it to the 'favourites' at the top of the menu like you have with every other program I've tried it with...

Integrating jump lists into the start menu is a nice touch though...

Last edited: 2 Oct 2014
  20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I installed Office 365 and they all appeared in a folder called 'Microsoft Office 2013' in the 'All Apps' list. I was also able to drag and drop the Control Panel shortcut into the favourites bit at the top of the start menu.