1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces Windows 10, Insider Programme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Sep 2014.

1. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

I am liking it so far, but at this stage Windows 10 really isn't anything more than Windows 8.1 with a Start Menu. I am playing spot the difference with my main PC which is running Windows 8.1 with Start8 and I am struggling to see any significant changes.

One of the best new features is one that they demoed during the press event; proper cut, copy and paste in the command window. Not really enough to warrant skipping a version!

I guess it is more of a marketing exercise to get enterprise back on board, which would be a harder sell if it was called Windows 8.2, but then 8+2=10, perhaps that is the joke?

2. ObsCure

ObsCure What's a Dremel?

Learn to take a joke people

3. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

A great many people do take it as gospel though.

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I installed both the workstation and server versions today.

The server looks exactly the same as Server 2012 apart from the Start Menu and the task view (multiple desktops)

I like the look of the workstation version though, and as far as I can tell, it works fine, I haven't found an issue with it yet.
    Cant believe its over a year away for a release. I would rather use it as it is now than use even windows 8.1.
    But I will stick to 7 for now anyway.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

'Many a true word spoken in jest'

Ever heard that before ObsCure? Also, just because a comment made in jest sparks a conversation does not mean that those others need a lesson in humor, I have no problem with a conversation being sparked by what was originally intended as a joke. Maybe you take your own joke too seriously?

Back on topic, are there any aspects of the OS that are 'locked off' within the tech release?

7. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Ive only noticed so far the inability to change Windows Update settings, then I suppose that is understandable.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

So, they record my voice, look at all the files I open and effectively use a keylogger. :grr:

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You might want to look up the definition of 'test volunteer' again. :p

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Also, please look up the meaning of the word "may" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_modal_verbs#may

In reality they will probably "watch you" when you will use the new features (Start menu, search, multiple desktops - those are actually the cases when the Feedback app sometimes asks you a question) and probably in case of some crashes (to be able to reproduce the crash). I doubt it will be a 24/7, 100% reporting (keylogging might be working 24/7, but if there is no crash, data are probably discarded right away) - the use of word may/might is the indication of that.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

^This^
    Maybe Microsoft needs to spam people who download the technical preview with massive flashing signs and claxons, or ask some questions before allowing people to download or install W10.
    At least then we wouldn't have to put up with a whole year of people moaning about a beta OS because they don't understand what's involved with testing software.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Is this available to the everyday Jo or is it really intended for professionals.

I wouldn't mind dual booting it on my test pc to have a fiddle but not if I'm breaking some sort of rules.

13. faugusztin

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I went through that and got to accepting the t&c's and still wasn't sure if it was available to everyone but I'm thinking it is.

15. Xir

Xir Modder

'S long as they take it out afterwards.... Was this the normal wording for beta-EULA before?

16. faugusztin

No. But this is not a beta either. This is more like pre-alpha build from feature set viewpoint, beta build from stability viewpoint. Half of the features presented in that presentation isn't even included there yet (notification center is missing for example).