1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete VAULT BOY - A Fallout Inspired Build (modded Bitfenix Prodigy)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ciobanulx, 25 Jul 2014.

1. ciobanulx

ciobanulx Modder / Watercooler

Thanks man :D

Thanks dude :D. Yea I gotta play them all over again when I have the time. Both are amazing games

Thanks man :D

2. ciobanulx

UPDATE

The missing screws for the RAM block didn't arrive today and by the looks of the tracking it might not get here tomorrow either. That means I might have to wait and finish the build next week as tomorrow is Friday :(. Though the tracking could be wrong, it might update tomorrow morning, but so far it says no activity :(.

Anyways here's a quick looks at my bending set up and also some of the tubing routes I managed to get done today. The rest will follow when the ram block is in. Also the GPU to front rad tube is in there temporarily atm, I'll have to take it out to put the RAM block in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy. I just can't wait to get the liquid flowing through it already :D

3. ciobanulx

UPDATE

The screws for the ram block arrived yesterday so I mounted the ram block in, bent the rest of the tubes, gave everything a double check and then the build was ready for filling :D, or so I thought ...

I decided to take it outside for some nice pics of it before filling the loop up and then brought it to my room and started filling it. Everything was set, filled the res all the way up, flicked the power switch on, pressed the power button and nothing :(. Checked everything again, tried again and still nothing. I then thought there might be something wrong with my power button, like with the cable or something so I fiddled with it for a bit, struggled to unplug it from underneath the GPU and then tried to short the two power pins on the mb with a screw driver and still nothing. The mb was clearly getting power as the light were on, but it wouldn't turn on. I then started unplugging other cables like the GPU, CPU and tried again and boom the mb turned on for a few seconds, but I guess without the CPU power cable it didn't want to stay on. Plugged the CPU power cable back in and everything worked fine until I tried to plug in the GPU cables, it wouldn't work again. So then I figured out that there was something wrong with the GPU cables. I brought another PSU to just hook the GPU to it and everything turned on fine so I figured there is definitely something wrong with the GPU cables that prevent the PSU from powering on :(. I filled the loop up all the way just to see how it looked now that I was already at it.

I then managed to get every cable out for further testing, except for the 24pin, because just like I thought, I can't reach it with a filled loop. This was last night and I just left everything like that as I was too frustrated with it. No leaks or anything so I guess that's good :D.

Today I set up a different test system and managed to isolate the problem to just the 8pin GPU cable. I spoke to Mundi from IceModz and he will be making both the 6pin and 8pin cables again and sending them out via DHL on Monday so hopefully I won't have to wait too long. Not sure what's wrong with the 8pin I have now.

Man I was so upset last night, the build could have been up and running by now :(. I guess it's also my fault that I didn't test the cables. Now I will have to drain the loop and take out some of the tubes and the GPU in order to get the 24pin cable out and then wait for the new cables to arrive before I can set it all up again. At least it will give me the chance to test out my drainage system :).

Anyways sorry for the rant guys. Here are the pics I took of it yesterday before attempting to fill the loop and then a few I took tonight of it just sitting on my desk like a trophy or something haha as I can't use it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these are the pics I took tonight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also does anyone know if the GPU block is meant to trail like that and fill everywhere up to the o-ring? There's still quite a lot of air in there as I didn't bother with it much given that I will have to drain it.

Thanks for checking it out guys. Hopefully not too long until I receive the new cables :eek:

4. Thorn

Thorn Gaijin Studios

super mini :D !

5. ciobanulx

6. ciobanulx

I'm proud to say that my build has been nominated for Mod of the Month Sep 2014 in the Amateur Class over on OCN. Hopefully I make it through the nomination phase :)

7. ciobanulx

I just heard from Mundi from IceModz today and the new GPU cables are on their way :D

8. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Great attention to detail and a really nice mod :)

9. lowfat

lowfat Minimodder

Very well done man. :thumb:

10. ciobanulx

Thanks guys :D

11. ciobanulx

UPDATE

A very special little friend arrived today! :D

The Strength Vault Boy Bobblehead from Bethesda :thumb:

GPU cables are still on their way :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pastel coolant from Mayhems seems to have settled down in some areas from not being in circulation and maybe from the air inside the system. Still waiting for the GPU cable till I drain it. I'm gonna smash it all in one day :thumb:

Thanks for checking out the build. Next update I hope it will be with the finished product :D

Cheers,

Alex

12. ciobanulx

UPDATE

Great news today guys!!!

This morning when I woke up my jaw dropped when I saw that my build was featured on both EK Water Blocks and ASUS North America Facebook pages :D

A few hours later the new GPU cables arrived :D. Tested them and all is good. I spent the rest of the day draining the loop, getting all the cables in and filling the loop back. Glad to say that the build is now up and running :D. Just about to install Win :p

I will take the final photos tomorrow after work, just wanna finish everything tonight.

Also the MOTM voting thread is up over on OCN. If you have an OCN account and like my build and enjoyed this build log please go ahead and vote for my build, it will help me a lot when I start my next project (another ITX system in a Corsair 250D this time, lots of mods, haven't decided on a theme yet :p)

Thanks for checking out my build! :)

Here's the Vault Boy in all its glory :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Alex

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I would like to compliment your very clean tubing.

14. ciobanulx

Thanks a lot man :D

15. ciobanulx

UPDATE

Hey guys!

WARNING lots of pics! :D :p

Here are some final shots of the build. I decided to take it outside again for the shoot. It was a little bit after sundown when I got home from work, pics start in the daylight and they end in night time :p . I took quite a few and can't really decide between them, you guys decide which ones you like :D (HD pics on my Imgur)

Please check out the MOTM Voting Thread over on OCN and show some love for my build. I really appreciate the support, thanks guys :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you all enjoyed my build log, here's for more to come :)

Stay tuned for overclocking, temps, benchmarks and hopefully a nice B-Roll :p

Cheers, Alex

16. ciobanulx

WOW I only just realized today that my build has been nominated for MOTM here on Bit-Tech as well :D

Thanks a lot guys for the support. It's an honor to be nominated along all these great builds and modders

Voting thread is here, please show some love :)

Cheers, Alex

17. ciobanulx

UPDATE

Hey guys,

I did some testing this afternoon and recorded some benchmark scores and temps.

Please keep in mind that I'm no expect in overclocking :)

I might still have to play around with the CPU overclock. It doesn't seem like I have a very good overclocking chip though. It wouldn't even boot at 4.5GHz. I went with the voltage as high as 1.35 and still blue screen at the windows logo. I don't really wanna push it more than 1.35v though as the temps would be too high for minor gains in performance. I'm thinking of even dialing it down to maybe 4.3GHz and try a lower voltage. So far at 4.4GHz anything below 1.31 seems to cause a blue screen at the windows logo.

Anyways here are the results.

All temps are at an ambient of 28C - 30C and recorded temps are the max I saw after 1 hour of stress testing on the CPU and the GPU just by doing the benchmarks.

CPU - i5 3570K - 4.4GHz at 1.31v (I also had to bump the LLC from ultra high to extreme and did see the voltage jump to 1.336 when stress testing)

Idle - 35C
    Load (Prime 95 Small FFT and Blend) - 96C
    Load (OCCT large and small) - 85C

GPU - R9 290 - 1150MHz Core, 1500MHz Memory

Stock Temps and Scores

GPU Idle 32C

Valley extreme 1080p

FPS - 56.4
    Score - 2358
    GPU Temp - 54C
    CPU Temp - 73C

Heaven extreme 1080p

FPS - 50.4
    Score - 1269
    GPU Temp - 57C
    CPU Temp - 73C

3D Mark Fire Strike Normal

Score - 8472
    GPU Score - 10061
    GPU Temp - 56C
    CPU Temp - 80C

Overclock Temps and Scores

GPU Idle - 32C

Valley Extreme 1080p

FPS - 67.1
    Score - 2809
    GPU Temp - 61C
    CPU Temp - 73C

Heaven Extreme 1080p

FPS - 59.5
    Score - 1498
    GPU Temp - 61C
    CPU Temp - 75C

3D Mark Fire Strike Normal

Score - 9800
    GPU Score - 12057
    GPU Temp - 58C
    CPU Temp - 80C

I also played Watch Dogs for 30min maxed out with overclocks and GPU was around 61C and CPU around 68C according to MSI Afterburner while I was playing. I thought the Prime95 temps were a bit high but everything else was all good I think. It started to get pretty hot here too so the ambient was quite high as well. I'm not too worried about the Prime95 temps as that will never happen in games. Around 60C on the GPU and 68-70C on the CPU when gaming with overclocks is all good to me at 30C ambient. Also the fans spin at very low rpms, 140s at 1000 and 120s at 1200.

What do you guys think of the overclocks, temps and scores? Would you like me to try other benchmarks?

Cheers, Alex

18. CBud

CBud What's a Dremel?

this is great love the colour scheme.if anything it looks too good since vault 101 is post-apocalyptic. You've got good temps as well for such a small case

19. ciobanulx

Thanks a lot man :D. Yea only the 101 is post-apocalyptic, though I was going for the clean look as the Vault Boy is sort of like a symbol in the game :).

I lowered the CPU overclock to 4.3GHz and managed to get it stable at 1.26v, the temps only reach 85C now no matter what I throw at it :) and all the benchmark scores remained within margin of error :)

20. ciobanulx

Hey guys!

More great news for the build :D

I have been featured on ASUS REPUBLIC OF GAMERS facebook page as well as on the Icemodz facebook page :D

And my build has won the amateur class MOTM on OCN for September 2014 :D

As well as currently coming in third place for MOTM here on Bit-Tech :D

Thanks a lot to those who went and voted for my build and for all the love it has received!:thumb:

Alex