1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Thinking of picking up an e-reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 11 Oct 2014.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    As above, having used my Mum's Kindle whilst at home over the summer quite a lot I'm considering getting an e-reader for myself, just unsure what to go for.

Anyone here have any experiences with any models in particular, any recommendations?

Thanks
    George

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Kindle every time

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

kindle Cheesecake

4. GeorgeStorm

Ok, but there are currently 3 Kindle models, you referring to one of them in particular?
    (also, why Kindle?)

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Kindle dx. Then laugh at all the other puny kindle users

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Not used a kindle for ages so can't comment on model but why? simple they are the best and the after sales is awesome, My misses broke the screen on 3 one after the other ffs and they just replaced the kindle for a new one each time :jawdrop:

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've got a kobo touch and my mom has the kobo glo.

I love my touch, but it can be a bit on the slow side when turning pages. I do like to read laying down though, and its nice and light, so easy to hold above for extended periods of reading. Can't comment on the glo except for the fact that it has a built in backlight, making reading in low light / the dark easy.

Edit: Had my touch for probably 1.5-2 years, battery on it is still fantastic. Used to read for up to an hour daily and it would last a few weeks.

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Myself and my wife both have Kindle Paperwhites and they're fantastic. I also have one of those cheapy Nooks that were going for about £30 a couple of years ago as a backup. The Kindles are a lot better in terms of build quality and snappiness when you're using them. Also the backlight on the Paperwhite is fantastic - the Nook is unusable in the dark / in dim conditions but the Paperwhite is fine. Good battery life too - we read for probably 20-30 minutes a day and the charge lasts for weeks.

9. GeorgeStorm

Haha seems to be unavailable new, and I don't mind the size of the normal kindle :p

Didn't realise that, good customer service is always a plus.

Kobo was the other company I'd had a bit of a look at, good to hear you're pleased with your devices.

I think if I were to go for a Kindle the paperwhite would be the minimum model I'd go for, since the basic one doesn't have the lit screen which is a biggie (at least I would imagine it is).
    However the new voyage looks pretty cool....

The other thing crossing my mind is all the hate amazon gets about trying to seemingly destroy publishing which doesn't sound good to me :p (but I haven't really looked into it).
    The Amazon ebook selection is still reckoned to be the best as far as I'm aware, but I can still buy books from other places (like the kobo store) and then just manually convert them on the PC?

10. GeorgeK

The Voyage does look cool - not sure whether I'd stump up the extra £60 for it though (or, put another way, an extra 55%).

Certainly I've bought books from the Humble Bundle and then put them on my Kindle - it's a little bit of a faff but nothing too bad (they come in PDF format which you can email to your kindle using a dedicated email address). In terms of buying from the Kobo store, it looks like converting them is an option. With the Kindle you can also take advantage of 'borrowing' books for free if you're a member of Amazon Prime (I'm not but maybe you are).

11. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, certainly fairly pricey, especially as the software features will be coming to the lower end models as well at some point from what I read.

That's good to hear, just don't want to be too locked in.
    I don't, Kindle Unlimited at £7.99 or whatever it is a month is tempting (although I think the US guys get it better at 10$?), but at least to begin with I think I'll just stick to buying cheapish books :p (I also re-read a lot of stuff so buying makes more sense in that way as well).

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. Okay, it's not as high-res as the latest Kindles, but:

• It supports the open ePub standard
    • It supports the Adobe DRM standard used by libraries for eBook loan
    • You can turn the Wi-Fi off and be sure your books aren't being catalogued/silently deleted by Amazon
    • It can run selected Android applications if you root it (including, famously, a PlayStation emulator)
    • It's dirt-pigging-cheap, and high-quality official cases are only a fiver

Better still, you can - with a little set-up - load Kindle files into the free and open-source Calibre and convert them to ePub for use with the Nook. (This includes DRM-locked Kindle files, which are quickly stripped of their DRM - more about which I shall refrain from mentioning in this 'ere forum, except to say it's quick, easy, and a short Google away.)

With regards to George's comment about night-reading: I traded my Nook Simple Touch in for a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, which is equivalent to Amazon's Kindle Paperwhite. I have the light on mine turned down to one or two notches above minimum, and I have no problem reading it in absolute darkness.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can I ask why people go for e-readers over a cheap tablet? Toyed with the idea of both, not really figured out the benefit of a reader.

14. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

+1, love my Nook (Original), cheap as chips, battery lasts forever with WIFI off. Mine is jailbroken but tbh it's not even necessary as the built in reading app is perfectly adequate if you're sideloading epubs.

Because reading on an e-ink display is far superior IMHO than reading from a backlit LED screen, that's what it's made for.

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ah-ha of course. I'm being a bit slow today.

I should look into it more, it's been the one thing holding me back - I can see the use but I can't read too much off a normal LED screen, after a while it's pretty draining. A screen specifically designed for reading, now that's a different matter.

16. GeorgeK

That's the exact reason e-readers are so good - I can read my Kindle for long periods of time without feeling at all drained. It's completely different from reading from a 'normal' screen :)

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Tsk Tsk and you with a book on Amazon :D

I can attest to the convenience of this. I have backed up all of my kindle books this way, given that amazon likes to delete books people have bought every now and then.

18. GeorgeStorm

Hadn't really looked at the Nooks.
    I was under the impression I can convert between most of the formats so it doesn't matter too much which I get?
    Amazon delete books you've bought??
    A PS emulator on an e-ink screen? :p

Part of me likes the idea of going for something cheaper as I'm not 100% sure that an e-reader will be any good for me, since going to uni I've just stopped reading, hoping an e-reader might be just the ticket, as whilst I still prefer reading a physical book (at least compared to the Kindle my Mum has) being able to carry around with me at all times (without worrying about damaging the pages!) might be enough to get me back into reading whilst at uni.

Edit:
    I'm not too bothered at spending as little as possible, aiming for as good a reading experience as possible, extra things like some of the software on the kindles sound good as well (the dictionary etc), do the competitors have their own version of the same things?

Last edited: 12 Oct 2014
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, you can. However, were it me, I'd be happier (and, indeed, am happier) converting from a locked-down proprietary format to an open format than the other way around!
    Yes. There was a famous case a while back - you'll excuse me if I don't find a link, it's terribly early and I haven't had my breakfast yet - when Amazon deleted a copy of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four from everyone's Kindles because it turned out that the publisher didn't have distribution rights for electronic copies. Now, removing it from sale is fair enough - but reaching out and removing it from the ownership of people who bought it in good faith? That ain't cricket - especially as it also irrecoverably deleted all notes and annotations associated with the book at the same time, a terrible blow for anyone studying the text.
    Yes - and it works amazingly wel!

Oh, and there's another advantage to the Nook I forgot to mention: SD card memory expansion. With the Kindle, you're stuck with the 4GB of internal memory it comes with - which isn't much if you're filling it with image-heavy PDFs. My Nook has a 32GB card in it; plenty of room.

Some functionality, such as X-Ray (the ability to find recurring phrases/themes in the book) is exclusive to Kindle but, on the other hand, but is also restricted to selected books published on Amazon's platform - in other words, you can't use X-Ray on a book you've purchased elsewhere and converted. The Nook doesn't have X-Ray, but it does have a dictionary: long-press on a word and you can look up a definition. Because it's running Android, you can also install third-party applications: before I worked out how to strip Amazon .mobi files of their DRM, I used to use the Amazon Kindle for Android application to read DRM-locked Kindle books direct on my Nook - giving me the best of both worlds! I also have Gmail installed, along with the Kobo app, FBReader and its collection of free books, Opera Mini for web browsing, and a selection of games. No PlayStation emulator, though...

20. GeorgeStorm

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, that's definitely the better direction was just checking.

That's pretty bad :/

Haha wow, I thought e-ink screens were relatively slow to refresh so it wouldn't work at all.

Don't have any plans to use it for pdfs really but it's good that the option is there.

Fair enough, I'd only really considered one for reading, but I guess there's no harm in it having extra features.

Do you know of any plans for them to release a slightly higher model? So with a better screen etc to compare it to the paperwhite/voyage, best of both worlds then.