1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The GTX 970 Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 4 Oct 2014.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's a great overclock and those boost frequencies are mental! did you up the core volts at all?

I was debating which of the evga variants to get; stock, sc, ssc or cheesecake, but from what i've seen there's been little in the way of guaranteed better clocks for the more expensive cards. might just save myself a few quid and get the stock card, but come the end of november they might have had a chance to bin more chips, so will see what the word on the street is then.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I didn't touch the voltage no - my personal overclocking rule is 'push as hard as you like on the frequencies - but never touch the volts'. :D

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Very nice Parge! Good to see the little reference cards can still hold their own. How is it for noise?

This is almost making me pick up a basic reference blower model to have a play with. My 690 is immense (certainly not parting with it!) but the Titanfall SLI flickering is going my nut in (I need the SLI power for my resolution but it causes the lights in the game to flicker and appear through walls). If I drop SLI I don't get the flickering but my frame rate tumbles.

A 1.5Ghz 970 should be close to my 690 in outright performance.

Hmmmm tempting.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's all the more impressive without a increase in volts. This is going to be a looooong 7 weeks waiting to get mine. I could get the the end of this month, but want to get my new monitor first so I can get my gaming back on and them see the difference with the new card. Will see about doing some comparisons between air and water too.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Dout there will be a big gain on water in performance will run cooler naturally and be better on the noise front. Nvidias recent cards have tended to follow this pattern.

6. Parge

I agree that there won't be a big gain in max boost speed, but I'd say it'll stay there more consistently, I've increased max fan speed to 75% to get consistent 1,504Mhz, with water you'd obviously be able to do that in near silence.

7. Ravenfeeder

Ravenfeeder What's a Dremel?

I was going to buy an MSI 970 but only scan have any in stock. They use DPD to deliver so that would just be throwing £300 away. Not quite sure what to do now, my 560Ti needs replacing before the middle of November and I want something quiet as well as powerful.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What's your beef with DPD? They are one of the highest rated commercial carriers in the UK.

9. Ravenfeeder

They've never delivered anything reliably to me. I must admit only RM/Parcel Force really satisfy me. Being able to redirect parcels to the local PO is a real bonus.

10. Parge

DPD are in my experience absolutely exemplary

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have had the odd issue with DPD but I'd say that 95% of my experiences with them have been positive...

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

DPD are flipping awesome, they have an excellent link which you can follow your delivery and know the numbered of your delivery in the day for the driver, and just were the driver is via GPS on a real time map.

Absolutely excellent vendor for delivery.

You cant get any better than DPD,
    SCAN no one here needs to even say any thing here about how awesome scan is, they deliver what you order on time 99.9999999999%

I have ordered a lot of high value items form scan over the years and never not even once have I had any thing but a triple A wonderful experience shopping from them.

Hugely unfair and incorrect to make statements like that about a simple order of a standard GPU and top tier delivery vendor.

13. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Only issue I've every had with DPD is they always deliver at 8am here because I'm in the middle of nowhere they start the round here and work back

14. Ravenfeeder

I have no problem with Scan, most of my current build comes from them. My recent experience with DPD is not so good though. Other areas may be much better but I'm not the only one to have problems with them in Plymouth. When the courier can't even find the offices of the City Council (or reports that he couldn't), a 14 story building dominating the city centre, then you know something is wrong.

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I can vouch for DPD too. Their online tracking doo-daa is almost real-time and on delivery day it shows you on a map where the van is, how many drops left before reaching you and an ETA. It even tells you the driver's name. :)

16. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

DPD have been great for me. Never had any issues and when I had my new case delivered the other day he was kind enough to bring it into the house and put it out of the way as it was too big for the person to move.

17. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Well I've just ordered a new Gigabyte 970 GTX from Scan and have only the highest praise for them along with DPD.

Every item on time and any problem Scan have sorted inside of a couple of days, sent one card back a few years ago and 3 days in total from sending old card to receiving new card.

I wish a few more firms had same standard for customer service as them.

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thinking of getting one of these. Think I'll order the evga ocx

19. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Except when they say things are in stock and they aren't!

Quite. It's a heck of a lot of bang for buck, especially seeing how clockable they are!

20. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

I got mine from ccl (04G-P4-2974-KR) and it's noisy. Both of the fans rattle. It's like having a bloody cricket inside the case, so be aware.