1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Nailed it on the head.

Absolutely. And there's a difference between a polite "Good evening" and a leering "Hello baby!".

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've not bothered to actually read this all the way through, sorry if it's crap.

It probably is.

I don't know why I'm posting it.

I shouldn't bother.

Sorry.

[​IMG]

Still... it's quite a nice picture.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2014
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

IIRC there was a comment saying that every time he f***ed someone he was f***ing himself.

4. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Soooooo, was it technically masturbation or incest then?

5. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

He was at it with his Mum too so I don't think there's any question. And his Dad. And his Nan. And your Nan.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Slight aside (mostly because I've been taking an interest in th whole issue lately): I really don't like the way gamergate is being dismissed purely as a 'misogynistic hate mob' out of hand.

That said, it is a twitter hashtag, so the bar is pretty low.

7. Nexxo

Perhaps they shouldn't behave as such then.

Seriously: this whole thing started with some bitter guy (falsely) accusing the ex-girlfriend who dumped him of sleeping around to further her career. This makes him not only a massive w****r, but also a pathetically unoriginal massive w****r. Anyone who actually attempts to build a valid and serious argument on such a foundation has absolutely zero credibility to start with. They may as well just put on a T-shirt that says: "I'm with w****r". The whole thing is deeply shameful and embarrassing, not just for gamers, but for men as a whole.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2014
  8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Glossing over rather a lot of other issues there dude to arrive at the conclusion, nvm I guess....

[​IMG]

Think you have it worked out? Okay then:

[​IMG]

:lol:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2014
  9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The basis for #gamergate is not about that one particular incident, that's just the debate that sparked it off. Of course there's people who choose to focus on that incider, but my impression (which is just my impression, other people have theirs) is that that is the vast minority of people associated with gamergate want answers for a plethora of other issues. I don't blame you for having that opinion though because outside of the debate itself there has been a lot of coverge on the shifty elements of the movement and very little representation from anyone else involved. As a result many gamers are actually feeling quite marginalised.

If you want your faith in humanity restored, go read some of @totalbiscuit 's tweets.

10. Nexxo

I see the behaviour, I draw my conclusions. A man is defined by his actions, not his opinions.

That's a bit like saying that UKIP has some valid points to make. Sorry, but if you want to be taken seriously you'll have to dissociate yourself from the crazies. Don't wear the "I'm with w****r" T-shirt if you don't want to be dismissed as another w****r.

11. Lady Luna

Lady Luna What's a Dremel?

I have been lurking on these forums for a while, I am into both PC gaming and the hardware side but sorry Nexxo I have to disagree with pretty much everything you have been saying.

As a feminist, the feminist movement has to deal a lot with what gamergate is dealing with, both sides have a very loud minority who people seem to focus on, on the feminism side the crazy man hating or lgbt hating side of radical feminism which are a small minority but also the loudest, this causes anger and hate and a reactionary response (hence the MRA movement who actually think women are out to get them.) and the actual issues of feminism standing for equality between men and women get ignored.

Gamergate started with a very unfortunate incident which rumors were fact but the basic idea behind the whole gamergate scene is transparency and anti corruption amount the gaming press. There are some crazy woman hating people which have gotten a lot of attention in the media but every movement has their fair share of crazies who should be ignored and the attention should be on the movement and their ideals and goals.

I support anti corruption and transparency in all forms of journalism so I support gamergate in the same way I support equal rights and am a feminist. Changing the name of the movement wont help, it will only confuse people in the same way feminist movement shouldn't change the name. Anyone can go on twitter and spew death threats/rape threats with the gamergate hash tag in the same way anyone can make death threats with the feminism hash tag.

If you only see a group through the eyes of the media you will only get the worst of the worst side of it since that is what they mainly report, I have actually talked to and seen what the average supporters opinions are and most of them are very reasonable and nice people who come from all walks of life and are a varied bunch of men and women who just want to trust the media they go to for gaming news and reviews.

You seem angry at the whole thing, you seem to hold anger to everyone who supports it and the movement itself because you see them all as misogynist pigs, I don't know if any of what I said will change your mind or at least remove the anger you feel towards it but just remember, this comes from a woman and a feminist.

I have had my say, back to lurking.

12. SuicideNeil

Hey Nexxo...

[​IMG]

I'm sure I said something similar to lady Luna a while back, about the extremists within feminism, and the extreme nature of the minority making the vile threats and such ( the anti-feminists ). Don't forget though, she who shall not be mentioned was caught lying about other things, regardless of the whole sleeping around thing being untrue ( apparently ).

More funnies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life is fun... :-/

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

14. Nexxo

I'm sure that there are a lot of people for who integrity of the gaming press is a big deal. Just like there are a lot of people who, for instance, vote for UKIP out of very reasonable concerns (I've talked to some of them). But you should be careful in choosing your allies. If you end up wearing stylish black uniforms, chances are that you are the baddies. If your side makes death threats to women, it doesn't matter what your personal views are anymore; you are associating with baddies.

The reasonable men and women who want transparency of the gaming press need to start their own movement (because #gamergate is tainted, sorry) and need to curate its members' behaviour. If you don't challenge the crazies who purport to speak for your cause, then you'll be seen to endorse their views and tactics.

And yeah, I'm kind of pissed off. With ISIS going absolutely bat **** crazy on the other side of the world, the last thing we need is people over here making death threats at other people over some friggin' computer games. We're supposed to be a civilised society.

15. SuicideNeil

It is entirely possible to just disown the extremists within a groups ranks, making it clear ( even if it isn't widely known or reported ) that they don't speak for the whole. Any group, no matter how civilised, can be tainted as you say; I don't see anyone saying Emma Watson should not associate herself with feminism as a cause due to the men-hating loonies within that movements ranks. #logic&reason

16. Nexxo

And that totally justifies making death threats. Seems legit to me. :p

My point is that the Gamergate movement is not disowning these people. Even you are arguing: "But Zoe Quinn lied about other stuff, even if she did not sleep around... apparently" (nice touch). What I do not read you saying is: "Yes, Zoe's ex was an utter dick. His behaviour is unreservedly pathetic and inexcusable. That has nothing to do with us; what we are concerned about is transparency in the gaming press, such as... [INSERT YOUR ETHICAL CONCERNS HERE, PLEASE DO]".

A man is defined by his actions, not his opinions. Translation: what matters is not your argument, but how you put it across.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

This is a non argument, you can be believe in the republican movement and not the actions of the IRA. You can be a Muslim and not condone the actions of Alqaeda. You can be a game developer and not believe in making death threats against Gaben. Every group class can be categorised in a way to include loonies. Isn't this rash generalisation of groups something the misogynists are guilty of doing?

18. Nexxo

Sure you can. But that means that you have to publicly distance yourself from them. Sinn Féin is learning to disavow the actions of the IRA. The Muslim Council of Britain has learned the hard way that if it doesn't publicly condemn Al Qaida, it will be associated with them (hence it is much more outspoken against ISIS). Even Nigel Farrage is finding that he has to weed out the crazies from UKIP to maintain political credibility.

But that is not what the Gamergate movement is doing. I still don't know what their concerns really are, and even good ol' SuicideNeil colludes with casting aspersions on game developer Zoë Quinn's personal integrity and sex life in support of an argument that supposedly is about the ethical integrity of game journalism.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

All of those others are organised groups with a figure head and some way of communicating what they associate themselves with. Gamergate (I hate that word, I hate when something considered controversial has gate tacked on the end. It's an utterly moronic way of identifying a perceived controversy.) Gamergate is a more of a meme.

Regardless, this seems to be what you claim doesn't exist.

20. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Nexxo, you should know better. This is the demote thread not the intense discussion thread. Just because your name isn't red anymore doesn't mean that you can let your standards slip.