1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell launches £149 Windows 8.1 Venue Pro 8 tablet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You still need hosting, advertising, the costs of running a webshop (or you're back to retailer-cuts if you're selling via third parties) including the cut taken by payment processors, and so forth - and you can't sell an OS exclusively online; what if someone builds their first PC and needs to put Windows on it? They can't download Windows 'cos they haven't got Windows yet; there still needs to be physical discs on physical shop shelves unless you do an Apple.
    Well, yes.
    It's a netbook with the keyboard sawn off. I certainly wouldn't have thought to try running anything newer than Windows XP on just 1GB of RAM, but I don't have any experience with how efficient Windows 8.1 is in RAM-starved scenarios. For simple work (small spreadsheets and documents, video playback, web browsing and the like) it should be OK. If you're not one for brand-loyalty, though, eBuyer is currently selling the Linx 7 for just £80 - or £50 if you've got a knackered old tablet to trade in.

2. theoriginaltomato

theoriginaltomato What's a Dremel?

I was just wondering how this would compare to a Hudl2 - maybe 8.1 can run RAM starved, but it certainly doesn't run well on a low powered processor.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

on the old netbook standart (10.1" 1024x600 screen 1.6Ghz Atom processor, 1 GB memory) ran as well under Win7 (starter) as it did under XP.

I upgraded to 2GB RAM and really didn't notice a difference to 1GB, so that was a bit wasted money.
    Next step is a SSD :D