1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks No sound on HP Pavilion G6 laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Refugee, 6 Nov 2014.

1. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Hi, do not really know what heading this will come under but will try here.

My wife has a HP Pavilion G6 Laptop and my son borrowed it for a few days and when he returned it the speakers no longer work, you can get sound by plugging in a set of headphones but that's it.

Up to now I have tried going into settings and trying to alter every combination of sound settings with out any luck, even gone as far as restoring the laptop to an earlier date without success.

Tried getting everything to go to default settings no luck, with headphones plugged in sound is OK and device manager shows everything working but no sound from speakers.

Can anyone come up with an idea how to fix this because my wife is under the illusion that I should be able to fix it and why haven't I already done so.

:confused:

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Try updating the sound drivers? Shot in the dark, I'm at a loss of what to really suggest.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

You could check if it's hardware or software by booting off a linux usb stick and see if you get sound then.

4. hobbs182

hobbs182 What's a Dremel?

Funnily enough me and the other half both have had this at times on cq60 and 61, at the time when I looked into it, it turned out to be a known problem on the HP/Compaq forums

Can't remember for the life of me how we fixed it on both machines though, think it was intermittent

Sent from my Nexus 5

5. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

Thanks for reply's, been onto the HP forum and tried various things suggested but all with no success.

Best part about this is I've been on their forum again and found out the power cord is prone to catching fire and wouldn't have known about it without this new problem with sound, had this laptop for 2 years and this is first problem we have had with it.

Seems there has been a product recall about the power cord for a few months and this is first I've seen anything about it.

Life's fun :sigh: