1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8.1 installing downloaded itself. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dave_c, 5 Nov 2014.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Hi, I have already had to completely re install windows because i couldn't downgrade from win 8.1. NOW win 8.1 has downloaded itself as an automatic update and is going to install next time i restart windows.

How can i block this? maybe 50% of the software im using isn't compatible with 8.1 and this is really starting to "****" me off (replace **** with most extreme obscenity you can think of)

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I know this isn't answering the question, but what software do you use that runs on 8 but not on 8.1? It's doesn't entirely surprise me such a problem exists, but it surprises me it affect so much of your software since I've never come across it myself.

Have you tried running the apps in compatibility mode? (right click shortcut>troubleshoot compatibility)

I'm not sure about blocking updates once they have been downloaded. Obviously it's too late to switch off automatic updates. It is possible the update process has already starting and it needs a restart to complete, in which case there may be no going back.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree. It makes no sense. Why don't you want Windows 8.1?
    There is no support for Windows 8 anymore.

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

I really do want to run 8.1. I use a piece of software called 3ds max, which you may be familiar with, this software will run on 8.1 but the issue is the plugins i use WITH 8.1 arent compatible. its a case of they were free so there really isn't any pressure on the developers to update them.

In addition to this, my third monitor doesn't work with 8.1 (its a known bug which i am informed is being 'looked into')

I've already sacrificed one piece of software, faceshift (for which i am still looking for an alternative) in order to update to 8 (can only get it working in 7) i cant lose any more or i wont be able to do my job at all.

I managed to temp fix the issue but in the long run i think i may need to just reinstall windows 7 if i cant find a permanent block, which i am loathed to do.

and yes, have tried compatability mode from 7 to xp. no luck. maybe just one of those things unfortunately.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm really unsure how they don't work. The OS is identical, with a face lift, and nothing more. :/

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think Windows 8.1 has a kernel upgrade though.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Yes 8.1 is slightly different in the kernel, enough to stop my WiFi card from working until I disable a couple of devices in device manager, I can enable them again once the WiFi card starts, but if I restart instead of shutdown, I have to repeat the above. It didn't do it in 8

8. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

good to know im not the only one out there having issues with 8.1.

9. zenobia

zenobia What's a Dremel?

It also appeared in my screen too one time when I reading news in net. It automatically download in my computer and said that it will take 30-40 minutes to install 8.1. So, I choose restart later since I don't want to be interrupted in what I am reading. I expect that 8.1 will be installed next time I open my computer but it didn't happened. I'm still using windows 8.

10. scimmy

scimmy Minimodder