1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress The Phenomenal | Bitfenix Phenom M

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Catarun, 8 Oct 2014.

1. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone!

Im pretty new here at Bit-Tech. Been browsing the forums for almost a year but weirdly I haven't actually gotten around to making an account. :waah:
    So therefore I believe social protocol dictates that I introduce myself a bit :D
    My name is Fredrik, aka Catarun or Since. I'm a 20 year old PC modder from Gothenburg, Sweden. I've been into modding and building computers for some time now actually. But my real obsession with this hobby started when I was 16 and injured my knee when I was snowboarding (my second most favoured hobby). So I got to stay at home in my small apartment in the wide north of Sweden until my knee would heal up. And when its -30 C outside, youre really better off just staying inside and mod computers!
    So thats what Ive been doing now for about four years. Not staying inside and hiding from the cold, but modding computers! :thumb:
    Its resulted in alot of builds, a few broken dremmels, a facebook group with more than 5000 people that are interested in computers that I run with a few friends, alot of scrap pieces of acrylic, and me being involved in a computer building contest called Intel's Kitchen. (TV-show kind of thing. Like Masterchef but for building a PC instead of cooking.)
    And now here I am, making my first project log in the bit-tech forums.

So that's enough about me! (jeez, ya think?!)

Ill jump straight to it and describe what I'm about to do.
    So grab my hand and follow me down the rabbithole! :lol:

[​IMG]

This is a build based on the Bitfenix Phenom M. Ive been interested in this case for a long time, and I've been trying to come around to watercooling it for some time now. And now, in the beginning of October 2014, I have the knowledge, the time and the connections to make this build happen.
    My style in modding is very clean and subtle (no self props!), so therefore I will have a full black theme going on. The entire build will have a black finish to it, except for small details in grey or chrome/silver.
    I have by now planned the entire build in almost every single detail (which I will later show you in my renderings), and I've already started modding the case to be able to hold the following components:

MB: Asus Gryphon Z87
    CPU: Intel i5 4670K
    PSU: Silverstone ST85F-GS 850W
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury
    GPUs: 2x Powercolor R9 280X 3GB
    SSD: HyperX 3K
    Fans: Phobya G-Silent 12 Slim Edition
    Rads: Alphacool ST30 240mm
    Pump: DDC-1T
    Reservoar: RES X3 150
    Waterblocks: EKWB, models TBD
    Fittings: EK HD/HDC hardline fittings
    Tubing: 12mm(OD) 10 mm(ID) chromeplated coppertubing

Those are all the specs I'm gonna go with. I already have all of the computerparts at home, the only opponent I have in the waitinggame as of today are the watercooling components.
    The idea is to finish this project in time for Dreamhack Winter , so that I can showcase it and maybe get some time off before I start on my other projects right after new years.

So what have I done already?

• I've cut out unnecessary steel from the front, bottom and the back of the case so that I can replace it with 2mm aluminum plate. This plate has been cut out and bent to fit the inner measurements of the case. With this approach I will be able to cut out from that plate exactly the holes i need. And I think its definitely worth loosing 2mm's on each side to make it alot easier for me to cut, mount and paint the case. (Steel is not fun to work with guys...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• I've made custom LED-strips that fits perfectly onto the top, back and bottom of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• I've drilled out all the rivets in the case to testmount it with the aluminum inside (Perfect goddamn fit! I was so happy). And I've also made marks on the aluminum of where I'm going to drill holes for the rivets that are going to keep the plate in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• I've made a 3D sketchup model of the project. Its not exacly what its gonna look like when its done, but it gives you an idea of how I've imagined it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So you might not think that I've done alot. But as some of you know most of the time needed on a project goes to planning the build. Alot of sleepless nights, alot of sketches on paper, and many hours with the ruler.
    Well, I haven't had a good night sleep in a long time, my thrashcan is flooded with paper, and my ruler is worn out.
    And from these pictures some of you might think I'm out of my mind when I plan on putting a part of the bottom radiator outside of the square case. And I'm sorry. I truly am. But I really need the cooling performance. And I promise you, that radiator isn't going anywhere :thumb:

So here are the things I need to do before final assembly:

• Cut out holes in the aluminum for radiators, rivets, motherboardtray, cables and the PSU
    • Manufacture PSU-cover (Not sure if I'm gonna do this or not...)
    • Countersink screwholes
    • Sand down the old paint
    • Sleeve cables
    • Paint case and components
    • Engrave project name and partners
    • Bend copper tubing

Its alot to be done, but I'm determined to have it done by the end of November!

So that's all for now!
    Hope you're as excited about this project as I am!
    If you have any questions or any ideas, be sure to hit me up in the comments on PM me!

_______________________________________________________________________________

[8th of October]

I intend to be done with almost all the work described in the first four dots by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. Maybe get my friend to take some better pictures in his photo studio during next week :)

[13th of October]

Ive made the pictures smaller on request from my friends, sorry about the inconvenience!
    Following is a small update from when i went to my moms summerhouse and worked on the chassi!

[15th of October]

I would formally like to welcome HyperX as a sponsor to this build! :clap:

[​IMG]

They will be contributing with:
    - Four, HyperX Fury RAM-modules
    - One, HyperX 3K 240GB SSD

I am truly gratefull for this, as it is my first significant build.
    To infinity, and beyond!

[20th of October]

I would formally like to welcome AquaTuning as a sponsor to this build! :clap:

[​IMG]

They will be contributing with most of the cooling components in this build!

Been speaking to Aquatuning for a while and they decided to sponsor my build so that I can finish the project in time.
    So thanks alot to Aquatuning!

[16th of November]

I would formally like to welcome Silverstone as a sponsor to this build! :clap:

[​IMG]

They are really kind to me and are going to be supporting me with the PSU and a fan filter.

Really happy about this and Im looking forward to future collaborations with them! :)

Last edited: 16 Nov 2014
  2. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone!

This weekend I went to my moms summerhouse to help her out with a few things. So to use all the time Id otherwise loose, I decided to bring my build and work on it in the awesome workshop that she doesnt use!

[​IMG]

Awesome house right? :D

[​IMG]

The insides of the moddingcave! Left some tools there so I can come there and do some work when I have time. I have noone to disturb with the dremel, so it makes things easier when you need to do those last finishing touches at three AM! And its a quite peaceful place, I really enjoy it there!

[​IMG]

I brought alot more tools than clothes ^^
    And also, I had a burned out dremel at home that I hadnt RMAd yet, so I went by the store and traded it in for…

[​IMG]

...alot of stuff! Got a new "dremel" (I actually think these are much better than buying Dremels tools. Cheaper, and they still work with all the adds), some masking tape, hole saws for cutting out vents for the fans, some screws and nuts, some sandpaper and some dremeldisks!
    All of this will be utilized to mod the case!

So here are the things I did:

[​IMG]

Started with masking and drawing up the sidepanel windowhole.

[​IMG]

Got rid of alot of steel! Continued with grinding of the excess steel and sanding down the edges!

[​IMG]

And heres the final product! Looks better than it does in the picture tbf!

After that, I turned to the chassis core. Drilled holes for the rivets, cut out the backsides mesh and sanded the edges so everything looks better when it goes away for painting!

[​IMG]

Sorry about the bad picture... But heres what the back looks like now. Alot cleaner without the mesh and excess steel!

[​IMG]

Been spending long nights doing this... Aslong as you have good music and some hot coffee the time just flies by!

[​IMG]

Testmounted everything using screws and nuts (Got tired of drilling out rivets!)

And heres what it looks like now:

[​IMG]

Looks like crap with all of the damaged paint, but when it gets coated it should look great! :)

Productive weekend! Hope you liked the update!
    I really need some feedback guys... What do you think about the pictures? I dont want to suck up all of your broadband width looking at my log, but I want you to see those tasty pics! (Although I had to use my phone for this update. Forgot my camera, sorry!)

I should be able to do the last cuts to the case this week. I actually got a hold of a reservoar and some sweet Black Ice radiators today! So now all I need to measure everything up is a DDC-pump and a top to accompany that...
    Im also gonna try to shoot everything in a real studio for a change!

See you guys soon!

3. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody!

Small update this time. Havent been able to do much to the case since I need the liquid cooling components to measure everything out. So Im working my ass off so that I can get a hold of all the watercooling components. Because when I have them and Ive cut out all of the holes for the bottom radiator (fans and fittings and stuff, watch the renderings!) and the PSU´, Ill be shipping it off to painting.
    Im gonna go with a matte black powdercoat, so ill need to brush the steal and primer it :)

So alot of planning! But I do have news that I can show you guys right now!

[​IMG]

Ive cut out the aluminum that covers the PCI-e slots and the motherboard I/O.

And here are some pictures of what it looks like mounted with the rest of the panels
    I fitted the reservoar with some double adhesive tape just to see what it will look like :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ive also been sketching up something for a PSU-cover that I have big plans for!
    Ill mount the SSD and maybe engrave something on the sides of this cover :dremel:

[​IMG]

So thats what Ive been up to this week.
    ______________________________________________________________________________

And now for some GREAT news...

Drumroll please!

HyperX has decided to to sponsor my build! :D

[​IMG]

I am so stoked about this since this is my first sponsor ever.
    They are going to support me with some HyperX Fury memory and an SSD :)

So thats gonna be great! I hope they will be able to send it this week so that I can put my teeth in that sweet hardware, so that I can start testmounting some big parts.

Until then, most of the parts will be in another Phenom case so that I actually have a computer that I can work on :wallbash:
    Heres what that looks like, sorry about the stock cpu-cooler...

[​IMG]

So until next time! Hope that will be at the end of this week :)
    For the next update Ill have much better photos than what Ive been posting so far.

See you around!

Last edited: 20 Oct 2014
  4. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

I will follow this :D

5. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

PSU cutout and some new friends!

Hi everybody! :D

Been going hard in the paint this weekend!
    Well, not with the paint but with the dremel ofcourse! :dremel:

Ive been using this weekend to cutting out the metal thats in the way for the PSU!
    And Ive also been streaming when I was modding! :D I only do it sometimes (this was the third time Ive ever done it so Im not really a pro streamer...)
    If you wanna check it out its over at my Catastream!

And since Bit-Tech has finally given me the privilege to actually post without supervision :naughty:, Ill post in this thread when its going live! :rock:

The plan is that the PSU will be in the front (kinda set in stone now :hehe: ) and to save as much space as possible I therefor aligned the side with the fan to fit with the end of the aluminum plate.
    But that wasnt the only tricky part of this cutout, I had to come up with a way to actually screw the PSU in place.
    And instead of going through the tedious work of making a metallic plate with the screwholes that I would later have to screw onto the chassi (and in the process threading alot of holes), I took the easy way out :idea: and just took a template for the bottom of the PSU and then cut that out.
    Abit tricky but I finally managed to work it out :)

So here are some pictures of the process with some whack commentary from Yours truly :thumb:

[​IMG]

Started out with cutting out the worst part of the front with a metalsaw and a dremel!

[​IMG]

And I did the same thing with the bottom (but with a bit more precision :cooldude: )

[​IMG]

Sanded down the transfer between the axels so the PSU will stand up straight :)

[​IMG]

Another sexy picture of that sweet aluminum plate!

[​IMG]

Then it was time for the file and the sandpaper. Had to vaccume up alot of this dust... :(

[​IMG]

After the rough sanding I drilled some holes for the screws :D

[​IMG]

Revolutionizing sanding holes since 2014! (Wish I had some needle files :( )

[​IMG]

And after a few hours and some broken hands, I was finally done :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testfitted the PSU and it was damn near to a perfect fit! So tomorrow (when I wont disturb the neighbours) Ill go at it again and make it fit like a charm ;)

So that was my PSU cutout adventure!

Now youre probably wondering who my new friends are...

As you know Ive been scouting for watercooling components to this build. And in this search Ive come in contact with...

AquaTuning !!!

[​IMG]

They liked my project and theyre gonna support me with most of the watercooling that Ill use in this build!
    Super stoked to have them as a partner, really makes it easier for me to have this project done within time for dreamhack!

So now Im playing the waiting game!
    Although I have some things that I can do until the cooling components arrive...

Ill try to have the next update up this workweek (wednesday/thursday). And although Ive been promising this for way too long, I will do my very best to make a professional photoshoot happen until next time.
    Heres what you can expect from the next update:

• Mounting the windowed sidepanels acrylic
    • Screwhole for reservoar attachment
    • Holes for cablemanagement (from the PSUs cables, including powercord)
    • (Maybe) A visit to the local metal shop for the PSU cover

So as always,
    til next time my fellow modders!

Dont forget to check out the stream and subscribe to it so you dont miss out on the chance too look at me when Im drilling holes and sanding metal!

See you around!

6. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot Alex!
    New update should come up tomorrow. Just posted it but itll have to be reviewed....

7. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone!

I feel really bad for not having updated in a long time :(
    Ive been super busy with photographing for the build log, talking to sponsors, getting a flatmate, getting a new job and fixing up my apartment!

But to make up for this Im gonna be posting atleast one (hopefully two) updates this weekend for yall!

In the meantime Ill be streaming while Im building tonight! (Friday)
    And HOPEFULLY bit-tech will approve this comment so that you can see it before its over!

Ive been doing this a few times now, but this time will be even better!
    For starters Im now using a 4670K instead of my Pentium, so the stream will be running a bit smoother ;)

This is what Ill be doing tonight:

Unbox some new stuff
    Have a competition/giveaway
    Cutting some aluminum (still angry that Bit-Tech dont think I can use a dremmel :( )
    Drilling some aluminum
    Test-mounting some components
    Show off some new metalwork Ive been busy with
    Painting the motherboard

So head over to my stream! If you can make it, please comment and Ill start speaking english :) Otherwise Ill do it in swedish :(

www.twitch.tv/catarun

See you around guys!

8. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Wow! It ACTUALLY posted! :O

9. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

I totally suck at work logs

Hi guys!

Ive been slacking way too much on this work log.
    To be honest I havent had the time... Im working two jobs at the moment 12 hours a day and every single second I have left of my time Im spending working this project so that it can be done in time.

here are some pictures of how far Ive come :brrr: :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted some scrap hardware that I had laying around ;)

But I have alot of pictures from my work that Ive done and Ill post all of them as soon as I find the time. (Which will probably be when the build is finished)

Quick updates:
    Got a 4670K instead of the Pentium that Ill hopefully delid
    Got tired of waiting for the waterblocks for the 280X, so I bought some 290s and the waterblocks for those will arrive tomorrow along with the fittings! :D
    Silverstone is sponsoring me with a PSU and a fan filter
    Im now sleeving (Telios from Nate, thanks alot buddy! :clap: ) and I should be done with everything tomorrow or saturday.
    Ive testmounted (as you can see) most of the stuff and everything fits great!

I now have 6 days to get it done! Gonna do my very best! :thumb:

See yall around! And again, sorry for not giving you the updates :sigh:

EDIT:
    Forgot to tell you!
    Some friends are helping me with the paint job and that should be done by monday/tuesday.

10. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Some 290s will turn that thing into a nice little space heater for the winter. :) Nice work so far!!

11. Laine

Laine This and that

Regardless och your job situation, this build is really solid. No need to apologize for working hard!

Great metalwork.

12. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot guys!
    Gonna make those GPUs work hard this winter ;)

Dont have any opportunities to write a new update right now, but I was so stoked to read some comments that I shot some work I did yesterday and today!
    So heres a teaser for whats to come!

[​IMG]

See you guys soon!

13. MetallicAcid

MetallicAcid What's a Dremel?

Any more updates mate?

/Justin

14. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Got alot of content ready!
    But Id rather spend the time I have over on modding than writing the logs :D
    But since its christmas and I want to keep you happy for when you invite me over to use the mill, Ill go for it ;)
    You can expect a big update tonight!

15. Catarun

Catarun What's a Dremel?

Well that was a huge lie...
    Guys im working on it :) Going to my uncles huge workshop after christmas so Ill do the last part of the sanding then!

Merry Christmas everybody! :D

16. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Just keep taking pics during the modding. You don't need to post them right away. Better late than never. :)