1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Tools + Advice :D

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sean-Blake92, 30 Nov 2014.

1. Sean-Blake92

Sean-Blake92 What's a Dremel?

hey :) I'm new to the modding scene, but would like to really get involved in it, after seeing some of the amazing things people have made on here, heres the thing I have always loved tech and modding but never had the time to get into it, I work for a big recycling company in Scotland and we deal with all the computers and tech waste, so I have nearly unlimited access to components, materials and cases, so I figured why not use this opportunity to mix the two things i do and enjoy :)

what I'm really wanting to ask though is this, what are the top 5 Tools you all find yourself using on the mods? what are the tools that are an absolute must? thanks for any replies :)

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Nov 2014
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Moved to Modding as you may get a better response here :thumb:

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

For me, in no particular order.

116mm hole cutter.
    Drill
    Decent screw driver set
    jig saw
    Set of files.

Obviuosly I use a lot more tools but with that lot you can chop things up, add blow hole?radiators. Gets you going on the more basic stuff

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Don't forget a really big hammer lol

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Yeah for when it all goes wrong and the temper tantrums start lol

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I use a drill, scroll saw, disc sander, files & clamps mostly along with measuring & marking tools, scroll saw could be replaced with a jig saw or even a rotary tool like a dremel.

7. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

Additionally I use my heat gun alot! Best way of doing Heatshrink (except for shrinkless sleeving, which still needs Heatshrink but higher and more concentrated heat) and bending perspex & plexi.

Also use alot a drill, jigsaw, sander, dremel, soldering iron, loads of screwdrivers with straight philips and hex heads. I have an aluminum ruler with various holes and markings for pc bits from Mnpc. And a Dyson handheld vacuum cleaner!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. Sean-Blake92

Cheers for the advice people, can't wait to order all my tools so i can start, think I'm going to kick off with a NUC build :)

9. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

To start out I'd get a Dremel, jig saw, set of files, drill+bits and some quick clamps. I've seen some amazing things done with just those basic tools. I would include a set of hand tools like screw drivers, pliers and a hammer in that list but that's something I think everyone should already have. Then of course once you become hooked you can buy a drill press, various sanders, soldering iron, heat gun, an assortment of hand and power saws, etc... Trust me, it never ends. I always find a reason to buy a new tool :rolleyes:

10. Sean-Blake92

[​IMG]

Got my first, and from what I hear most important piece of equipment, a Dremel :D, was pricey but worth it I'm sure, getting there :)