1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PC Hanging on start up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kieran_read, 5 Dec 2014.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Try other sata ports. According to Bit-tech there is two separate controllers on the board.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2008/09/29/asus-maximus-ii-formula/2

Failing that, maybe you should try a fresh install on the SSD in AHCI mode with the latest SSD Firmware

It could be a faulty SSD.:grr:

2. kieran_read

kieran_read What's a Dremel?

Well i tried the "Speeding SATA port" and it booted in AHCI mode, but the speed was halved, so i switched back to the normal one and it booted.

Windows must have downloaded the IDE drivers when I reverted back to IDE mode.

Was going reasonably fast but then i activated rapid mode... HOLY CRAP.

Sequential Read.... 2228 MB/s
    Sequential Write.... 1209 MB/s
    Random Read... 62408 IOPS
    Random Write.... 30489 IOPS

That's according to the Samsung Magician software anyway.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

So, it's working in AHCI mode now?

4. kieran_read

Yep, the Samsung Magician software tells me it's running in AHCI mode, i don't know if those speeds are good or bad, but to me they are the fastest it's run at since i installed it so i'm happy.

5. kieran_read

Same problem just happened, had my PC on for about an hour and a half, and its just gone again....

Think i'll just send the Hard Drive back and try a replacement, if I get a second faulty one in a row I will ask for a refund and stick with mechanical drives.

Saying that is there a way to diagnose whether Sata ports are working correctly, these issues only started happening when i connected my SSD even my main drive now has issues, (PC doesn't boot after I D/C SSD)

Last edited: 10 Dec 2014