1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU/CASE question which way up in this case should it be?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kuroidoragon, 8 Dec 2014.

1. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

I have a NZXT Phantom Enthusiast USB 3.0

This case in this youtube video but mine is black https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0YkhZX4Io (pause 4 seconds in)

at the bottom at the back where those vent holes are is where the PSU goes I know

but my question is this....Is the PSU suppose to go in faced with the FAN/Grill facing downwards facing the bottom of the case because that is where the vent holes are ?

just some videos show the case with the PSU facing upwards inside the case
    & in my old case my PSU used to be at the top at the back facing downwards towards the bottom anyway

just wondering if the above question will remedy what I believe or what I would describe as a quiet/faint sound that sounds like a HDD being accessed because the PSU is up the other way to what it used to be & its effecting the fan on it is this possible ?

when I try to put my ear to it to locate the sound it does sound like its coming from the PSU or GFX card area
    and before when i poked the back end of my psu a bit where its screwed in the sound did seem to stop or cut out

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

I always build mine with the fan facing down.

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

There isn't a right or wrong way to install it, you can choose whichever you prefer. Most people will have their own preference (I install with the fan at the bottom) but really it's up to you. If you take a look at the back of your case you'll see there are screw holes to secure the PSU in either orientation.

If you have it with the fan at the bottom the PSU will essentially have its own closed loop cooling, with cool air brought in from the bottom of the case and exhausted out the back. If you install it this way you need to make sure there's sufficient clearance beneath the case for the fan to draw air in.

Sometimes the way you install the PSU will be dictated by other factors. In my case, for example, I've got an intake fan in the floor next to the power supply and because of where the power cables connect to it the PSU can only be installed with the fan facing down. If I had it the other way around the cables would obstruct the fan mount and I wouldn't be able to use it. Another example is when a case has a shroud over the PSU and bottom section of the case which would obstruct an upwards facing fan, necessitating installation with the fan at the bottom.

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I always install it with the PSU facing down, as there's a vent there to suck in cold air which ultimately keeps the unit cooler. It just seems silly to not use that feature in a case, really.

5. Refugee

Refugee What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't install a PSU with the fan at the top anything could drop into it , one loose screw and you could end up with a blown power supply.

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I always install PSUs with the fan on top. My old Enermax had a post shutdown cooling feature that run all the fans on max for a length of time depending on PSU temp and it always ran for as long as it could when it was installed with the fan on the bottom. When I flipped it over, it only ever ran for the shortest amount of time.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My case has no filter over the PSU intake vent so, I fitted fan uppermost to stop it filling with dust.

8. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

I think the material the case is sat on has an impact as well; if the case is going on thick carpet then having the fan at the top might be better than trying to suck clean air up through the fluffy carpet.

On a desk or non-carpeted floor, the fan on the bottom (with a decent dust filter) is probably more beneficial.

The sound might be a lose screw connecting the PSU to the case or the PSU vibrating against the case, some rubber washers between the PSU and the case might make it go away.

9. kuroidoragon

kuroidoragon Minimodder

I have now turned it around the other way will try it for a while & see how it goes & I also have it on top of a big strong sturdy wooden box with the back end overhanging the back so there's lots of space & height with the PSU fan points out underneath it

Last edited: 8 Dec 2014