1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony pulls film as the US blames North Korea for attack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Jezzafool

Jezzafool What's a Dremel?

I thought that it was the cinemas that have pulled the film to be safe not Sony, although Sony has stood by them.

3. Jezzafool

Jezzafool What's a Dremel?

Oops sorry, should have read all of that.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Whats weird is that Sony Pictures is one of my clients and we never had budget or an ad campaign for this movie, even though they are required to declare one months in advance.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Am i the only one that didn't really care much for this film, until all this kicked off ?
    Now it's on my must watch film list. :)

6. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I do not see what the danger is. They should know what would happen if they attacked us, especially over a movie. Their entire country would no longer exist within 24 hours. Although, they are likely betting on Obama giving them Texas if they attack us but lets face it there is a big difference in hacking a company and stealing files vs launching a major attack and a direct act of war.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, just like there's no longer an Iraq following the events of the 11th of September 2001. GO 'MURICA! :rolleyes:

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Can you declare war a second time ? I thought America and south Korea have been at war with NK since the 1950's

Last edited: 18 Dec 2014
  9. Gareth Halfacree

North Korea. South Korea is Nice Korea. And no, which is a single-word summary of this massive Pikiwedia page detailing the actual relationship between the two countries.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

In my current state reading through that massive wiki page is probably asking to much. :D
    I was going on some TV program from a while ago that said even though an armistice agreement was signed, a peace treaty was not, so legally they're still at war.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Hah! I'd like to see them try and take possession.

While I hate to admit it, Sony did the right thing here. (Scheduling a movie to open on Christmas day was a dick move anyways.)
    Now they need to put the movie up on Youtube instead. THAT'LL send a message.

12. st00dent

st00dent Minimodder

I was gonna suggest for irony value - upload on pirate bay...

13. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Award for most downloaded film of 2014 goes to...

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Sony needs to grow some balls. So does any cinema showing the movie. North Korea bombing Newton Abbot cinima? Yeah right :)

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It doesn't work like that.

The Seoul metropolitan area is located around 50 miles from the North Korean border and Seoul is the 4th largest metropolitan area in the world going by GDP (behind Tokyo, New York and Los Angeles), plus there are also roughly 25 million civilians in the area.

So if you try taking military action against North Korea they simply launch a bunch of rockets towards Seoul which will hit their targets long before you reach North Korea, which is why the world stands by and waits for North Korea to self destruct.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Good luck with that, Sony seems to have no plans to release it at all now, so unless the hackers chuck it on the torrents (which, seeing that this was all to bury the movie in the first place, is unlikely) there'll be very few people who actually get to see this film.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wouldn't the film have already gone out to previewers, movie theaters, etc.
    I was guessing somebody wouldn't be able to resist leaking it, just to spite NK.
    Although i guess it would still be breaking copyright laws even if Sony has decided not to release it ?

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"This time we're really at war! I'm being serious!..."

19. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I don't think anyone's grasped the gravity of this (unless I'm mistaken of course).

Someone creates a film. Someone else doesn't like it and takes the hump. In fact they make such a stink the creator of the film decides to pull it.

Extrapolate that into any given scenario you like, but the terrorists have won.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

"Extrapolate that into any given scenario you like, but the terrorists have won."

No. North Korea are not terrorists. Just different to us.

(Added)

Not forgetting that they feel like the world has been bullying them for a long while, then add a film ripping the piss out of them ...

I'm not surprised they want that film deleted.