1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Time to upgrade the 560ti

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrdanie, 19 Dec 2014.

1. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

So I haven't upgraded my system for about 3 years now but it handles most things pretty well. I'm thinking I will just upgrade the graphics card so I can up the graphics settings in the games I play, mostly Battlefield 4, Far cry 4. I don't feel the need to upgrade the rest of the system really.

Normally with graphics card I keep the price around the £150 mark, that's how much I paid for the 560 new 3 years ago, I try to go for bang for buck. Looking around quickly it looks as though the best bet would be something like a 760 or maybe a 770 as I've seen them for about £150 used.

Any ideas on a reasonable upgrade for the GPU around £150?

2. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

It depends on what you are after.

I actually own a gtx 770 and while the GPU engine has enough grunt for anything @1080p Nvidia pretty much dealt it a death blow by pairing it with 2gb VRAM.

Even though the GPU engine can handle max settings and max AA on ultra textures I already can't use ultra textures in several games due to insufficent VRAM.

The release of the 970 and 980 with 4gb VRAM has, at least at far as I am concerned single handedly dealt a death blow to the 770.

You aren't going to get a 970 for £150 so if you are happy with high textures rather than ultra in up an coming games then get a used 770gtx. Like I say the gpu has plenty of grunt still so you can max the AA out to minise the texture difference.

The 760gtx is about 20-25% lower performing than the 770 and there isn't much point in getting a 4gb 760 gtx.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

4. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

The 280 looks good, not bought a Radeon for a while. I'm not sure if there will be anything around the Jan sales that might come up and reading around a bit it does look like the 770 has been kicked out. I don't think I can justify spending anywhere more than £200 for the amount I play games at the moment, probably mostly couple of days a week.