1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

The mobo doesn't have an integrated GPU.. that's why there's an dedicated GPU..

So what OS is recommended?? I don't have any spare keys for Windows 7/8 and I don't want to spend too much..

I have my Black Fox that I can game on with Minecraft.. Just don't want to be hosting the server on the same PC.. that's why I have a spare PC..

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've always used a barebones Linux install - usually CentOS with no GUI and a bare minimum installation (I add the stuff I need as I go, which isn't much for a dedicated Minecraft server). You really don't need much and it's relatively simple to set up and administer - assuming you're comfortable with the command line or are prepared to learn.

I've never used them myself, but you could give a dedicated Minecraft server like MineOS or MineOS CRUX a shot: http://minecraft.codeemo.com/ http://minecraft.codeemo.com/mineoswiki/index.php?title=MineOS_CRUX

3. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

I got a MineOS ISO on disc so that's good.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

ill be around today

5. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

I may get some playtime later..

6. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

hey all, me again. If you have experienced downtime this afternoon that was my fault :blush:

I had rebooted the server and during reboot I thought it was a good idea to install a new firewall here at home. Meaning I had no internet and i forgot to start the minecraft server :wallbash:

It is up now, sorry for the delay...

7. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

If anyone has the latest server address and would like to PM me that would be smashing :)

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Finally cleared my seemingly endless backlog of work, so I'll be jumping into the game tonight (about 19:30-20:00 GMT) for a few hours.
    I was going to get Online last night but I was gifted a copy of The Swapper so couldn't resist having a mad session of that.

Anyone else planning on being on tonight?

You should be able to connect by using either of these addresses: xm.got-game.org or 84.39.26.40.

9. MrsFio

..if we are done cleaning, we could possibly play a little (JR and me)

10. MrsFio

Not looking like any playtime will happen tonight.. livingroom is a total mess and no Christmas-tree and tomorrow is the great celebration of Christmas Eve.. gotta clean more now that baby is asleep.

11. suenstar

No worries, I saw JR on the server briefly and we had a quick chance to say hi.
    Speaking of Christmas tree's...

What's that in the distance?
    [​IMG]

A Christmas Tree!
    [​IMG]

I decided to put up a small Christmas tree for the server. It's enclosed in a glass wall to keep creepers away; there's an entrance to the left which I made as obvious as possible with all of the torches.

If you want to visit the site, the tree is located just North of the world spawn... just along the wooden road.

The tree's a work in progress (I'm not a talented builder, so there's lots of room for improvement), but I thought I'd add it create a bit of festive cheer on the server.
    Feel free to stop by and add you own personal touch to the tree and the surrounding area.

Best thing of all, I cans see the top of the tree from the window in my house! :D

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I can see it from my house :)

13. suenstar

Oh yes, I completely forgot that the one right next to the tree is your house.

14. MrsFio

JR and I are playing - it's a bit more laggy than usual.
    Anyone else plan to play? will be off in about 10 mins - but hope to get more playing in a couple of hours when all kids are in bed ;)

15. MrsFio

playing now - anyone want to join us?

16. lilgoth89

another complete disaster for me on the server, lagspikes and frequent disconnects really dampen the experience somewhat

17. MrsFio

It doesn't help to hit the people trying to help you either.. :jawdrop:

I gave you food, wood and leather armor - and no thanx - only hitting me.

Welcome back when you try to be friendly :read:

18. lilgoth89

i did say thank you, but got disconnected shortly after, so maybe it wasnt sending

really couldn't keep a stable connection to the server even after you left

from my perspective you ( and the monsters ) were teleporting all over the place so it was difficult to know if hitting would
    A) hit the baddies
    B) hit a player
    or
    C) swing wildly into the air

apologies if i did hit you...

hopefully the server will be more stable soon, if not then you are welcome to delete my shelter as i wont be able to use it much

19. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Hello fellow survivalists,

I thought the new year would be a good opportunity for me to make a post again. I have a few thing to talk about so lets go!

#1: Server lagg
    As the host this issue bothers me the most and I truly feel for you guys. I have restarted everything (server, router, modem) multiple times and that has never really helped. The resources of the server are as far as I can tell adequate enough for the job. The main problem I see is the ISP.

The connection is a 100/100Mbit fiber connection, but it seems to have some issues. Weird lag spikes and outages and it seems a 'bad' connection to the international backbone. I have done speed tests to the UK and Norway and found that the connection is unstable and 'slow' (do not remember the exact numbers but I think it was in the 20Mbit down and 5Mbit up range).

Sadly for my parents (our current host :) ) the service is more then adequate for the amount they pay, so they will not be moving to an other ISP. I also can't host the server at home, because my connection is sh*t-tier. Paid hosting is not an option for me, so that leaves our current host as the only option. Probably not the answer you where hoping for, I'm sorry :(

There is one thing I can still try and brings to my next point...

#2: Move to Spigot
    After a mail from #'s this morning, I did some more reading on the whole (Craft)Bukkit / Mojang / Wolverness / DMCA take down disaster (which is completely FUBAR). The short but bitter conclusion for me is: CraftBukkit is dead. I have tried to wait it out (hence the long time no talky), but there is no end in sight. Wolverness will not take down his claim, locking source-code and that leaves the whole mess in a dead-lock.

So after some more reading I found Spigot. I did know about it, but never read into it, because I had CraftBukkit. They make some bold claims about better server performance which I am eager to try out. Also they have just updated to 1.8 so that's also a big advantage! Apparently CraftBukkit and Spigot are compatible (plugins) so I hope I can keep my plugins/plugin configurations.

I will start the move and testing this afternoon / evening. I will update you on the progress here.

#3: My absence
    As you all will have noticed, I've hardly been on the server lately. The main reason is, Minecraft has kinda lost my interest. I'm not a fan of the whole RPG part and the rest I feel I've seen and done. I'm into other games (Day Z, Talos Principle, etc.), Ingress and my shooting club. I don't see my presence growing in the near future to be honest.

But, (very big but) this does not mean I will stop hosting the server!!

I have always loved providing you guys with a place to play minecraft with others and will keep doing so! I feel we have overcome many hurdles together without to much done time (please correct me if I'm wrong :) ). Personally I like the challenges of keeping up with the latest versions and getting the server to work again (without loss) after an update.

It probably is harder to contact me, so if you have an issue and need to contact me, please ask MrsFio, JrRRr or #'s. They have my personal email and can contact me directly. I will look into it!

The only thing left is me wishing you all the best wishes for the new year!! Hope you have a good one :D

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Really glad to see that the server is still going. I have some fond memories of playing minecraft. Was even a mod! (maybe I still am?)
    But I have moved on to other games. Would love to play something else with the old crew though.

Sadly i'm just not the creative type. My brain is wired to function over form for some reason. Anyway, thank you Xtreme Machine for keeping this going! I have gone in every now and then for nostalgia reasons. It's nice to find my old home, alive and kicking!