1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Games of 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 29 Dec 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Nice. I do agree with the list, even though I only own a couple of the titles mentioned.

But Elder Scroll... man... I'm still playing it. No matter how much I hated some of the issues.

3. silk186

silk186 Derp

It's a decent list. Happy to see a Best of 2014 that isn't focusing on consoles.

4. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Thanks to the list I bought MGR: R. Saw it on Steam yesterday and thought that I would give it a pass, read the article today, added to whishlist, saw the discount, bought it... Talking about "effective advertising" :p

Got the bug to try others that appealed to me.

Quick question: Does Elite has something to do with the old Elite game for DOS? I have it in one of 5.25" floppy disk. At least the view from the cockpit has the same basis.

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I picked up Metal Gear Rising and Southpark TSOT in the xmas sale on steam, I was hoping for Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor but I guess they are too new to be as heavily discounted as I'd need.

Anyway good list I will check out some of the stuff on it i'd previously dismissed.

6. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Yes. It also is available for free for PC/Mac on the website.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

No love for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on your list? :(

I agree with most of the games in the list, though I'd personally swap the positions of Dark Souls 2 and Metal Gear.

8. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Good list and despite it's current flaws Elite has sucked up more of my time than any of the other games I own on the list and anything else I own, so it had to be #1 for me also.

Been playing it since May, at least an hour a day and no sign of that dying off yet.

9. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

Funny, on my screen it's £40

10. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

He meant the original...

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Not sure why Titanfall was in there... I thought it was pretty poo.

Would have liked to see Binding of Isaac: Rebirth in there somewhere.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Titanfall is questionable rest is fine. I'd still say the last of us is the best game I've played in a few years now.

13. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

On this website: http://www.ianbellelite.com/

But not the web site for Elite: Dangerous

Sorry, his comment was vague.

14. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Terrible list. Dragon Age Inquisition is a total insult to any older Bioware fans or fans of true RPG's. It is now just a dumbed down hack n slash action game made for consoles only that cheats people in to buying it by using the Dragon Age name and Bioware name even though both are clearly dead. If I wanted another action RPG there are already dozens to play, the whole point of a party based tactical RPG is to have tactical combat which this fails miserably at, by not even trying to deliver any. But bro dude it haz orsum graphics and hollywood voice overs and badaz animationz omg bro and when I press a button something aweosme happens.

Dark Souls 2 I would like to play because consolers talk about it all the time, but a combination of Lets Plays looking so simplistic and the fact that every PC player says the PC conversion is terrible means I can't justify buying it.

South Park, I read the combat is repetitive and dumb, so if you don't love dick and fart jokes there isn't much to get from it.

Shadow of Morbore is just the all the worst and dumbest aspects of modern mainstream gaming in one dude bro package. Press 1 key to sneak and then another key to assassinate people with a sword through the head and blood splatters galore for all the kids. Or mash the buttons to fly around the screen slaughtering army after army of Orcz n monstorz. And a cut n paste world with towers pretending to be open world.

Alien Isolation - boring ponderous crap. Sad again to see the quality of games dip decade after decade, from System Shock down to Bioshock, and dumbed down even more for Dead Space and now this. Shame modern gamers aren't smart enough to realise that running back and forth flipping switches or press E for some reason is not a good excuse for content. I'm convinced stuff like this is only made for PewDiePie to do a walkthrough of and scream in every set piece or every time something jumps out. DUDE BRO SO SCARY BRAH OMG SRSLY LITTERLY! AN ALIEN OMG.

And then Elite Dangerous, a remake of a game from the 1800's and the only thing they really improved is the graphics. A few areas are slightly more evolved but mostly it has not moved on at all, and yet it even has the all important planets missing from it because this is the generation of buying or pre-ordering games based on promises. Sad that the X series or lesser known ones like Independence War 2 have gone completely unmentioned for years all because the average sheepy gamer only buys whatever makes it to the top 10 lists. Then as soon as something like this manages to generate some hype for whatever reason, everyone buys it, whether it is really worthy of success or not. Most of the people playing this would have enjoyed something like Space Rangers for the past several years, and would have supported a small company and maybe nurtured them to become big enough to make their game in to a 3d version today, which would have the graphics of Elite Dangerous but with real content to actually enjoy... But no, games like that remain unknown because sites like this ignore them and then when some under cooked overhyped game like Elite Dangerous comes along, it gets an article a month for a year straight to make sure every one has it on their Christmas list.

The fact that you put Divinity on there should make me feel better but I think it is only there as a token real game to give some credibility amongst all the other mass produced disposable pop songs of gaming you favour. You disappoint me Bro Tech.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2014
  16. Apexgun

Apexgun What's a Dremel?

No Wolfenstein? Only game I played through a couple of times this year, need an honourable mentions list.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I agree. ED numero uno:)

18. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Well, for me it's Dark Souls all the way, which means the 2nd game is the only one on this list that i own...

I wanted to fall for shadow of mordor and inquisition - but i just can't get hyped for them - i know i would have, in the before time, the long long ago...

The sad fact to me is; they are just not dark souls...

19. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

So, you appear to not have played most of these, and yet you rip the list up one side and down the other.

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

He's either a troll, a twelve year old or an exponent of the "PC master race". I'd actually be intrigued to see his list of the best games of 2014.

Tags: Add Tags