1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Antec Kuhler 650 - Replace fan

Discussion in 'Modding' started by StaticFX, 20 Dec 2014.

1. StaticFX

StaticFX What's a Dremel?

Well let me lay down the background...

I was lucky enough to be given a BitFenix Pandora to play with..

THANK YOU BitFenix!! :)

[​IMG]

so, my idea was to stuff an ATX board in it (I was told it will fit, and it does!)
    [​IMG]

and to move the PSU to the front.. but it wont fit (because the MB tray is in the way..
    I thought of cutting it away but I am not confident enough (nor do i want to hurt this case!)
    [​IMG]

sooo.. plan B is to save up for an mATX board.. LOL

part 2 of the plan was to mount the Kuhler at the top....
    [​IMG]
    by separating the rad from the fan, then fitting them back together with the fan "shelf" between..which, would work great EXCEPT... that the fan doesnt fit with the MB in place! lol - its about 1/2" off :(

one thing after another has stopped my ideas...There isnt enough room to put the rad+fan elsewhere at the top. The cooler is set up to push air through the rad.. i want to pull air so I can mount it up front.

The Antec Kuhler 650 (I won it in a contest - thats why i am trying to make use of it instead of spending money)
    [​IMG]

so I pulled the kuhler apart... and I think I can do this, just need some help
    If i can replace the fan, I can use this cooler in the front and pull air in (because its designed to push). plus a red led fan will look cool on this.
    [​IMG]

the white plug fits to the pump, and the wires are marked so can I just rewire from the main feed to the pump (just cut and hook the 2 wires back together right?) - but, as you can see, the wire from the CPU base has 4 wires, the plug to the MB has 3.. all my fans have 3 wires...

is it possible to just wire in a different fan using 3 wires?? or do I need to just go get a PWM fan...

Thanks!

2. StaticFX

update:

well i decided to just go for.. broke the fan apart to see how it was wired. The plug to the pump was just soldered to the same spot, so directly wiring will work! Just need some male pins so I can hook a 4 pin connector to the end then I can use a nice BitFenix RED LED PWN fan in place and have it pull air in!

[​IMG]

i will post pics once its complete

3. C3PU

C3PU What's a Dremel?

Good luck, I would like to see this working.

4. StaticFX

:) im sure it will.. I need to find time to get over to frozenCPU (only 3 miles from me - but ZERO time right now to go! lol)

5. StaticFX

alright here it is...

I had to drill out the pump "feet" (the x shaped bracket) to fit some little screws through.
    Then too the wires over to frozenCPU where I bought a BitFenix RED PWM fan and new pins.. They were kind enough to clamp the new pins on and test the wire. After I removed the ANTEC logo from the CPU mount.. Put the new FAN on and mounted it in the case!

Newly added plug (where they re-pinned)
    [​IMG]

Fan Mounted
    [​IMG]

back view
    [​IMG]

logo removed
    [​IMG]

6. acitodg

acitodg What's a Dremel?

Very cool! Looks great!