1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Creating a new server with Spigot (1.8) to test right now...

Because I needed to create a database dump, I have currently shutdown the server. Also because I am testing with the 1.8 release the server will stay down for now.

I have to update all plugins because of the big changes in 1.8.
    This includes HawkEye. One issue is that HawkEye needs to update the database, meaning when I start the 1.8 server it will convert the old data. That makes it incompatible with 1.7.

It could be the test with 1.8 will fail (LWC and such not working). In that case I will start 1.7 again, but without HawkEye for the time being. This means: be carefull :)

On an other note. I found that the creators of Spigot also created a 1.8 CraftBukkit release (It is also build while building Spigot). Not sure how that works with the DMCA take-down and all. I for one do not understand the whole debacle any more. From what I have read, Spigot outperforms CraftBukkit, so I still plan to move forward with that. I think we need every ounce of performance we can get.

I'll keep you all posted...

Update #1:

Oké, uhm.. I think I'm done...?! :lol:

We are currently live on 1.8!

- Updated to Spigot 1.8
    - Updated all major plugins (bPermissions, LWC, HawkEye, Multiworld, DynMap)
    - Renabled Dynmap! :rock:

I have tested with two worlds (so multiworld is working) and it seems, LWC and hawkeye are functioning as expected. It could be wishful thinking, but it seems the server is more responsive. Please give me your feedback on this! :)

There is one small issue. It seems 1.8(.1) has a problem with player statistics. It seems it is possible they are reset after you login.

Did not expect it to be this easy to be honest. Hope I did not miss anything :blush: If you encounter any issue, please let me know :D

Update #2:
    Ran into #'s while testing and typing this post. It seems the lag issues are gone / a lot less for him. I hope more of you have the same experience!

Last edited: 3 Jan 2015
  2. 985323

985323 I am Jack's smirking revenge

Yea, the lag issue is majorly down, and it's a pleasure to play in 1.8 now! :D

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

some interesting things on the server since the update, on /world the spawning house's doors no longer work ( you can open them, but there is some kind of invisible wall behind them ) and there is a HUGE square cut out of part of the desert
    [​IMG]

there is an underground cave but the water stops up against it, its a little bizarre

[​IMG]

4. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

[​IMG]

That's seriously messed up..

5. lilgoth89

ok after a little testing with XM we have come to the conclusion that spawn protection with Spigot
    SUCKS

it basically prevents any block from being changed / altered / used in ANY way

so you cant open doors, use chests, sleep in the beds ect ( unless you have admin powers )

this affects ALL worlds as far as i know, pressure pads still open doors ( so you can get out of the protected buildings even if you have to jump off /world roof )

XM had to head off so the issue is ongoing. he said he would look into the issue later on

just be aware if your changing worlds

6. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Where is this? I know a place on the world18beta that had this issue because of a map-seed failure or something, I found a "glitch" like this way up north.
    But if this is in world17 it is probably something different. What do you see on Dynmap?

Lilgoth and I found out that the only way to go through a door at spawn-protected areas is if the door is opened by redstone-logic (pressure-pads etc.)

7. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Hey XM and Happy New Year! You caught me and MrsFio of guard. We just got informed that our clients was outdated when we tried to log on.

THANKS A BUNCH! :rock:

We've been dying to try out all the new wonders of the 1.8-update. This is really good news.

I'm glad that you got it to work as good as it now does - I'm sure the small bugs will be fixed in due time.

My interest in the game has fluctuated over the years, but this Christmas it has rekindled, and now I'm more in to redstone-logic again, watching a bunch of tutorials from this guy among others.

Only problem is: I have limited spare time for playing. That's one of the reasons why I stay with Minecraft - I don't have time to research new games. And also that Minecraft is a game you can leave and come back to after long periods of time.

Hope to see old-timers dropping by from time to time - that's why I love the news of your commitment to uphold the server, XM! So don't hesitate asking for help from us.

And thanks again for the update! :clap:

8. Xtreme_Machine

@JrRRr: Your welcome :)

@Everyone: I just restarted the server again. DynMap stopped rendering again so the render-queues where filling up eating memory. I don't understand why that keeps happening :S

I'll add it to the list of things to research :p

9. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

How far back did you reset? I logged in just now only to end up in a pitch black mineshaft. Seems like all of todays work is gone. I'll be fine, but I got my self a surprise.

10. Xtreme_Machine

Wait.. what?? I did a normal successful shutdown. It showed me all was saved in the console. Mhh.. I hope this is not normal with Spigot :(

11. lilgoth89

yeah the server seems to have gone back about a day or so...

my mine has gone, crafting table no longer exists, neither does my sugar farm, lost my diamonds, iron redstone, and tools ( crafted diamond pick with unbreakable :waah: )

EDIT

oddly enough when id dug back down to bedrock, and began to dig out my previous mine, it said 'chest unregistered' when i dug through where a chest once was, so the game knows where the chests were ( and hence had knowledge of where i had put the chests in the mine) but it was solid rock again ( i keep many chests in my mine, 1 for tool storage, one for anything important like redstone, diamond, iron etc ) and another couple for cobblestone

Last edited: 5 Jan 2015
  12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Maybe this is a sign that a fresh start would be better for a new server?

13. lilgoth89

anyone about to cast some enchantments for me ?

hoping to get 'unbreakable' on a few tools and 'fortune' if possible

all i can seem to cast at the moment is 'efficiency' which is pretty lame#

also if we are going to start the server again, i imagine it would completely destroy all of our hard work :(

one more thing, im taking donations of anything ( stone / wood / tools / etc ) to aid in my current mega construction project, so if anyone has alot of cobblestone sitting in their base they want rid of, please let me know :)

Last edited: 7 Jan 2015
  14. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

I have "split" feelings about that.
    it IS fun to start anew and all, but also feels a bit sad to just ditch all that we did before..
    Would have to vote on it, and definately give XM a final say in it.

Is "efficiency" really that lame?
    I'll see what we have in our chests next time I'm in - or else I advice you to make lots of books (and a minecart) and take a trip to "world_the_end" and enchant there - it has a superefficient endermantrap (pretty safe) That's what I do when I want a certain enchantment ;)

I will have a look on that too - when i get some playtime..
    - anyway if u need iron shovels - there are LOTS in the chests at spawn in world18beta :thumb:
    - also - like I tried to tell you the first time you arrived in the world17 - check the chests under the Christmastree by spawn - I think you will find something useful in the open ones..

15. MrsFio

:clap:- What JR said -:thumb:

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Sorry about vanishing when I just got back into the game over Christmas, had a bit of bad news of a close friend passing away so wasn't up for much over the holidays.

Excellent news about the server update.
    I popped on to see how performance was a few days back... actually it was likely when you did that server restart on the 3rd January as I got a 'connection closed by the host' message a few minutes in.
    I did however notice that almost the entire area around me loaded up very fast, so the performance increase is definitely noticeable.

I'll hop on for a bit on Thursday evening again and then will aim to make a bit of a weekend session.
    I suppose at some point the Christmas Tree will need to be turned into something else, I think I have enough glass left over to turn that into a full glass building so it could become a sort of freebie shop with all of the chests (speaking of, I will convert all of the ones I put there into public access on Thursday).
    I'll load up some additional materials into some of those chests as well.

On the subject of of restarting the server, a more friendly option (space and server memory permitting) would be to add a new world.

17. MrsFio

Sorry to hear about your friend Suenstar
    *condolences*

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Thanks MrsFio.

If you swing by the Christmas tree at spawn you should find a bunch of cobblestone, wool, wood and glass in the upper chest by the entrance for you. :)

Hopefully all of the chests in that area are set to public access now, /cinfo listed them all as public but it might need someone to test them to make sure it worked.

19. lilgoth89

Thank you :)

if anyone else has any donations, or could help out with enchanting ( i visited yoda's place but all i could get was efficiency ) i dislike efficiency as i prefer my tools to last as long as possible ( especially the diamond one's, but also i enjoy having fortune on an iron pick for coal / lapis / diamond / red-stone mining

20. MrsFio

Did you try the endermantrap too? (