1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project 'Silver Ghost'

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by montymole, 12 Sep 2014.

1. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Hardware pics

Hi again folks slow with updates things are making progress now and all the hardware is here

So here are some pics of the gear :)
    EK WE 540 Rad
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HOF 780 GTX

[​IMG][​IMG]

The EK blocks

[​IMG]

More EK
    [​IMG]

The Asus Sabertooth Mk S

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bye for now

Last edited: 10 Jan 2015
  2. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Love the sleek design and color scheme! IN, can't wait to see more!

3. Ace_finland

Ace_finland Minimodder

looking good john!

4. snef

snef What's a Dremel?

oh sh...... cant wait to see more my friend

you just tease me

5. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Thanks Alexander my friend I am going to be updating this a lot this week :)

6. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

there will be of this behavior all week :)

7. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

thank you for taking the time to view this :)

8. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

I'm also interested in what kind of fans you'll be using on 180mm x 3 rads. That has to be a limited selection. :)

9. Andy Griswold

Andy Griswold What's a Dremel?

I love the look of the motherboard and graphics cards. The final thing will look amazing.

10. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Sorry for late reply I will reveal the fans in the update I am in the middle of doing now :)

Thank you for taking the time to look and glad you like so far :)

11. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

I´am so following this build, looks already great.

12. sprintdmc

sprintdmc What's a Dremel?

I eagerly await the next update, looking really cool so far, loving the white pcb and EK blocks.

13. Marcus V

Marcus V What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to see more mate. Allways great builds from you. But this is gonna be exicting ;)

14. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Thank you so much guys Update today guys its a big one :)

15. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

The Long over due update

Hello again Folks so I have been taking a lot of time over this project with it being my dream PC It has had a few few nightmares so far mainly due to the wait for the Sabertooth Mk S and the couple of delays in getting a 100% finished design and with a great deal of sadness I was not happy with the 540mm EK rad on the back and ended up going back to the plan of one rad on each side but went with the 180mm EK ones, So 1st there are some Renders of the Case pretty much done just a few little things to tweak but cutting will commence next week once the E22 laser is free for a few hours .
    Massive thanks to Richard Prins my friend for helping finish of the original Concept from Nate and helping me make sure that everything was lined up right and getting us to this point from many ideas back and forth this is where we are at :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now for some modding :)

The SSD's

After a bath in costic soda and some work with the steel wool the Cases where back to the metal and now flat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Some new Decals for them:

[​IMG]

The PSU:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Radiators:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All Stripped for Powder Coating:
    [​IMG]

The Case Feet:

I am using Speaker Spikes that I can adjust as the frame was 5mm out of plumb , I did not make the frame It was knocking about the workshop and it seemed like a good base for a mod :)

[​IMG]

The Fans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Now Metallic Grey

[​IMG]

Next we come to a problem, The Sabertooth Mk S, Yes its a great board but I did not like the Camo so I went 1st for a flat white but this caused things to end up with white out and no contrast so here is the dilemma in pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the best one for what I have in my mind here but the board looks to industrial yes I know I am being Anal about this but I do no want to build it and then think that board will have to go so right now I am contemplating my options on a change of board its not the money or the lack of motherboard on my shelf just none of them feel the right one but I have down time now while the frame is powder coated and the Panels are cut and I get Pexon PCs to make me some cables as my arthritis will just make doing a full set more pain than I can take so I just do the fans and other bits myself.

This now leaves me with a week to decide on the motherboard change and the next update will be the panels cut and assembled and the loop ready to go in. I am happy its took this long in as I have had time to mature my ideas on this and get it right where I wanted it.

So I will say goodbye for now and next week we can see some lovely laser cut panels and a fully assembled case :)

Last edited: 4 Feb 2015
  16. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

The Change Of Motherboard

Well after a lot of thought and some moments of madness thinking about X99 I ended up doing a deal with a mate for this sweet Asus P9 X79 Pro and a binned 3930k that can clock over 4.6Ghz with little effort so here are some pics I am very happy with this and the blue does not overpower the white and silver :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates in the next few days as the frame is powder coated along with other bits so I can start to put stuff together now :)

Last edited: 4 Feb 2015
  17. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Hi again folks here is an other small update to show you how the RADS and the PSU turned out after the stripping down and was well worth the effort I think.

The EK WE180MM in White
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Frame will still need to have drill work but I got it done now while the other bits where being done , it will all be covered with the panels but best its coated and more durable. and no waiting time once the panels are cut.

[​IMG]

The Case Feet
    [​IMG]

The Corsair HX850i white edition

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Braided the Vandal Switch with Teleios White , Grey/Dark Grey.

[​IMG]

Got to put the heat sink on the back of the Aquero and Braid up the cables for this Flow meter.

[​IMG]

That's all for now folks really not much more I can do until the Panels are cut but not long to go now.
    I do have my EK Vulture Case that needs the log starting and will keep me busy this weekend bye for now :)

18. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

Hi guys I know this update has been long over due but this project has become a longer on that I thought and I have built several other PC's since I started this and this has been on the back burner a few times.
    One of the problems I had was the original frame was out of square and was causing the panels to be a really poor fit so I just went and made a new one ...

[​IMG]

This meant more holes was needed so ..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will be using a AquaComputer Bay Res at the top

[​IMG]

Feet not sure on this right now I am looking at cutting a metal plinth or maybe layers of 3mm acrylic between Aluminum

[​IMG]

Had a play with some flat bar but this is a defo NO

[​IMG]

You can see the Metallic Silver Powder Coating now but I am not 100% happy and its is going into the acid bath and getting re done ( The apprentice did after his A1 job on a other Case he was allowed to do these panels).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an example of why the powder is to be re done

[​IMG]

The finish is great 90% over and it does have a nice shimmer

[​IMG]

Hardware will be changed again with Skylake next month but the layout is the same ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The EK CPU block's spare mounting screws being used as Risers ..

[​IMG]

Next like fate joined them I know this case and the board I am going to use are made for each other..

[​IMG]

So I am now off to carry on with my other projects as I55 is getting close so bye for now ..

19. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

That board is simply made for you! Nice progress you got there, I really like the paintjob :D Keep it up!

20. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

;)
    thanks mate progress has been slow on this but I am not rushing it and I have stuff I Am finishing now and over the next week or so before I carry on with this