1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AMDMatt, 8 Jan 2015.

?

Are You Going To Purchase a 4K Monitor?

1. I plan to buy a 4k monitor within the next month or so

5.5%
  2. I want a 4k display but can’t afford it

24.8%
  3. I want a 4k display but my graphics card/s is not powerful enough for it

18.3%
  4. I'm happy with my current monitor

33.9%
  5. I want a 4K display, but the monitor is not suitable (refresh rate/TN etc)

9.2%
  6. I already have a 4k display

8.3%
  1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Sure whe the price is right any they have IPS panels. Also GPU's need to play catch up.

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I'm looking at ordering a 4K Dell 32" before the month is out, but it's purely for work reasons, I could go back to dual monitors instead but the single monitor will look cleaner.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Already have a 4K monitor, and will be sticking with it and purchasing new cards to produce better frame rates.

The next cards though that I buy will be Nvidia due to the extremely low power usage and overclocking ability of the Maxwell architecture, and also EVGA not doing AMD cards.

4. sundae

sundae What's a Dremel?

I have a 1440p and am waiting for both the price to drop on 4k, which should occur this year, and more importantly for the graphics cards to play catchup, something that looks like it will be in 2016.

5. Leesy1

Leesy1 What's a Dremel?

Eventually I'd like a 4k monitor. I dont think we are near the point of affordability with great screens. Plus I wouldnt want a monitor over 30inchs and gpu technology needs to move on abit before we can max out titles on one gpu.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

30" @ 1600p is plenty for me. :)

I won't be upgrading any time soon.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Once gpus catch up then sure at the moment 4k gpus cost more than he monitor. Bf4 4k is bearly playable on a couple of 980s. Which is £1k + of gpu hardware. It won't go mass market till the monitor is sub £200 and the gpu to power it is in a similar price range.

There's also the fact that the amount of 4k content is tiny

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

This is the thing. I'm in love with it being a bit better. A less hungry card. A better display experience when the fps is more variable/inline with the card's capability. But being forced to go proprietary with monitor tech would limit my future experience to one vendor. Therefore I'm placing my hope on freesync.

9. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I have a 5760x1080 setup which I thought I would love for gaming. The truth is it's too much for how close I sit.
    I've found that I am perfectly happy gaming at 1920x1080 and use the full 3 screens when working.

A 4k screen would offer me nothing over what I have.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Loving it loving it loving it!

Where's 8K?

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

FYI the problem of scaling is due to the use of image files for every size of font, button ect. If you where to use vector based fonts and images then scaling is no issue. It is possible to change the fonts Windows uses and there are free ones to be found. Also in Windows if you hold alt and use the scroll wheel on your mouse it changes the size of icons and fonts. I will be buying a gaming laptop soon with atleast 2k maybe 4k to replace the PC I sold. Sadly hard to find 4k screen with IPS and 8gb version of 980m.

Sent from Bittech Android app

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'm in the same camp as Andrew, I have a 4k screen, but much prefer my old Dell 30" screen due to the significantly better quality panel whenever I'm doing anything that requires accuracte colours (gaming, photo editing, watching video).

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Gaming requires accurate colours? LOL that makes me laugh - I can just imagine the nomenclature: the colour managed workflow of an elite sniper. 100% coverage of the one-shot-one-kill gamut.

FTR there are 4K screens that have IPS panels, no different from a Dell 30", but they be very expensive (like the 32" NEC one I mentioned earlier which is £2,500 ish).

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

I don't see 4k adoption taking market share until one can be powered with a single £300 GPU

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Decided the only time I get one is when the warranty runs it on my 29 inch ultra. This Dell is an awesome piece of kit

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Well, better contrast ratios and black levels than my 4K screen. Going into caves and dungeons with the game on my 4k screen is pretty bad, it's like I've turned the gamma way down in the settings compared to the Dell.

Yeah...I don't have £2.5k to spend on anything, let alone a monitor.:sigh:

17. Deders

Deders Modder

Recently bought an Ultrawide, It's one of those things I can't see myself going back on now I have it, I'd really miss the immersiveness.

Maybe when they release an Ultrawide with 4K density and GPU power is enough to run games maxed out on a single card. But I expect that will be a few years yet.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I don't think it'll be long before 4K IPS monitors come down in price. Just look at all the cheap IPS monitors available now compared to a few years back when IPS was generally aimed at professional use; the same trend will continue as panel resolution increases. Because these screens are obviously more expensive to produce, they are being aimed at professionals because of the consumer-unfriendly price tag.

The manufacturers can save a lot of money by omitting features like programmable LUTs, wide-gamut LED backlights, and ultra-comprehensive OSD menus. Gamers don't need any of that stuff; they want something that is ready-to-use out of the box. I think 4K screens like that should be available for well under £1K pretty soon as the manufacturing process matures and becomes cheaper.

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I don't see the point in 4K on a normal size screen TBH, I use a Lenovo laptop with a very high-res screen and I always run it at 1/4 resolution (1600x900) because scaling in Windows is not great!

For gaming, I find my Dell 24" display is great - I'd really struggle to play games at 4K resolution unless I spent £600 on GPUs... not worth the effort TBH.

20. creative

creative 500rwhp

happy with my current monitor/tv

IF... and thats a big if, I ever go 4k it will be on a tv and I will just plug the pc into that like I have now with my plasma.

Biggest reason for me is cost. Simple as that.