1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Red Dragon by JJ_Sky5000 i7 5960x & MSI X99S GAMING 9 ACK MB

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jj_sky5000, 7 Jan 2015.

1. jj_sky5000

jj_sky5000 Minimodder

The Beginning:

On a cold rainy day ( never happens in the summer) in Dallas Texas during Quakecon , I met Mark From MSI who really like my Quakelive Case Mod( Pc that actually lifts out of the case) and gave me his contact information about possibly working on a project. Not too long after Quakecon we started to talk about building a case for CES, I gave him 4 hand drawn designs and he pick one and I ended up not using the one he pick and sketchup of the one that I liked instead. I show him the design and we where all set.

[​IMG]

For me to mod I have to get in the right mindset and focus. I get a lot of my inspiration by look at Darthbeavis, Bill Owen and Boddaker projects. 3 of the best in the business and all original modders, Nowadays so much is being out sourced it takes away from the originally of a MOD, Ship off to be lasered here ( Darth your good you laser cut your own) and paid to have it shipped here painted there and sleeved cables order here. If I don't create the case in my own garage I wouldnt feel like I made it and take credit when somebody else does the work.

After waiting to find this modding motivation & changing the design of the base to give it a angle edge and having most of hardware in i was to begin after building over and over in my head.

A big Thank you to all the Sponsors Involved, They are a huge factor in helping me keep making these unique mods.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Specs:
    CPU Intel® i7-5960X Haswell-E 8 Core
    MB MSI X99S GAMING 9 ACK
    VGA 2x MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
    Memory Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 32GB Memory
    HD Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD
    PSU Lepa 1000watts (Enermax Vegas Fans)
    CPU Cooler Bitspower Rez/Pump combo and radiator

Material used :
    Wood, wooded dowel rods, Acrylic and rods, metal Mesh

Tools:
    Dremal, Table saw, Scroll Saw, Belt and palm Sander, Drill press, router

Creating the Base

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jan 2015
  2. jj_sky5000

jj_sky5000 Minimodder

Update Number 2

The one drive i had was to make a solid base, I went from have original 2 pieces of wood to 6 just to give it a solid base and to have a place for the power supply, I also used dowel rods to spread teh weight of the build and make for a more solid structure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was the backlit logo. To make sure the item was uniform i used carpet tape to hold a clear piece and white plexi together. while using my very very old craftmans scroll saw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My newest tool i got for modding was a belt sander for $45 wow it was way better than palm sander and definalty speed up the process of getting and piece sanded down to be uniform.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty close to the effects of i was looking for

i decided to go with a mesh front to help with airflow from the fans, my first designed was enclosed and i was worried about airflow and the designed that i had in my head was way more open.

[​IMG]

next up was cutting out a border for the mesh using a thin plexi piece

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stayed tuned for more!!!!

3. jj_sky5000

jj_sky5000 Minimodder

Update 3#

Now onto one of the hardest challenge I faced during this 30 day process, The making the dragon outline and how to get this awesome MSI Gaming 9 GTX 980 into the build, slightly taller than your average GPU. So i had to make a few modification to the MSI logo in order for the gpu and MB to fit in the build.well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cutting 6 piece of of 18 * 24 red transparent acrylic & 2 18 * 24 acrylic and attaching together using my magic tape so they wouldn't shift i began the long 8 hour process of cutting the dragon out using my ageing scroll saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next challenge was to outline the exterior white dragon to be proportionate to the red back pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning up the the red acrylic and test fitting it to the base

[​IMG]

more to come !!!

4. jj_sky5000

jj_sky5000 Minimodder

Update 4 December 24 , well after battle with bronchitis for 9 days, my deadline for CES was fast approaching. I came to the realization that the project just my not make it I need to ship it in a few days. When building a scratch build you always come to a cross road , should i take a break or press on, I could see it built in my mind and it was going to look amazing , but getting there is going to be tough.

[​IMG]

Off to painting and pressing forward

[​IMG][​IMG]

I added a little fade mesh look to the outside pieces and finished securing the front

[​IMG]

secured the lettering

[​IMG]

My original Red rad was too thick with the fittings and fans so i had to incorporate and skinnier blue one.

[​IMG]

Measure up and cut the motherboard tray for back lighting and pump assembly
    [​IMG]

Fits nice and snug , I am also using the Bitspower X station for the lighting pump and fans

[​IMG]

tap the MB standoffs and ready for assembly
    [​IMG]

And a Big Thank you to the amazing staff at Bitspower I was having trouble getting on the watercooling to finish teh project and this arrived on Christmas eve :)

[​IMG]

Just keep pressing on !!!

Next up final assemble

5. Andy Griswold

Andy Griswold What's a Dremel?

Really like the case so far. Great job on cutting the acrylic. Keep up the great work.:thumb:

6. jj_sky5000

jj_sky5000 Minimodder

Thank you Fellow Hoosier !!!