1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Game Group hit by plummeting prices, aggressive bundles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If they stocked more than about three PC games, I might go in there...

3. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

Three games hidden behind loads of disney infinity toys and Skylander giants merchandise!

4. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hidden behind those are the gift cards, tons of pre-owned games. You then get to the PC games, to find they're just empty cases.......made from cereal boxes.....;)

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

They ditched the wrong brand. Even though they were the same company Gamestation was always the better shop. I can't remember the last time I bought anything from Game.

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I got a ps4 with driveclub and the last of us remastered for £299 from game in there sale. There can't of been to much profit in it for them.
    The cheapest I can find one for now is the same price at Tesco with no games.

You can undercut and make cheap bundles to get sales but what are those sales worth if they do not pay the bills.

7. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

The last time I bought something gaming related on the high street the store was called Electronics Boutique!

8. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

They are selling coloured PS4 pads for £69.99! Sooooooooooo no.

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

when i was a lad, the pc games shops were in side street on the border between city centre and residential living, once you move into shopping centres and middle of high streets etc, you cant pay the rent.
    maybe if they moved back to small stores on 'not the main street' it might be more viable....

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Who still shops there? Rubbish service and ridiculously high prices made me leave. My local Game is in a Tesco Arena, where tesco sell the same stuff for cheaper. If anything I'm surprised it lasted so much longer than Woolworths.

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The rents need scrapping, as do city centre parking charges. It's all from a time before the internet took over. If you moved to side streets, you just end up with a shop with no customers now.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

What do you expect with online retailers, digital distribution, supermarkets undercutting prices as they don't rely on the entertainment depts for their 'bread and butter', all competing for the same customers as well as game publishers blocking the transfer of ownership to stop the second hand market as well as?

Computer shops, much like comic book shops, have no 'business' being on the main high street. Especially when you try to have three branches all within 2 minutes walk of each other.
    (I used to work for Game many years ago before Victoria was redeveloped and there was a main Game Store on the high street, a concession store in House Of Fraser and another Electronics Boutique Store on the upper level in the train station.)

13. DC74

DC74 Doh!

I got a message from them saying my reward card points were going to be removed if I didn't spend them soon. I've not bothered even looking at their sites/shops since, so much for their loyalty scheme, loyalty works both ways GAME!

There is also the problem of them only having a small PC games section, the shop seems entirely devoted to consoles. Well PC's will outlast consoles, now we know why the company is failing.