1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home Network Refresh

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Houndofhell, 13 Jan 2015.

1. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Hi all,

Recently my family bought a Synology NAS after suggestions on here. Loving it so far and it's such a great combo with the Chromecast.

My father and I were planning on fiddling with the way we have the network set up currently, however with the NAS in play it's shown that rather than fiddle we could really do with a complete refresh of the networking equipment, as it's aging.

In my last place as a student, my housemate had a Netgear Nighthawk router that we absolutely loved and thought very highly of.

The current setup at my family's home is the following:

[VM SuperHub]------------>[old NetGear]----------->[Printer, NAS, Dad's comp]
    ----------->[Small upstairs hub linking to two other computers to the netgear]

The two routers are also broadcasting separate wireless networks due to some signal issues we were having. The old Netgear is probably draft-N thinking about it.

My aim is to outfit it so that the wired network can achieve Gb speeds with the NAS etc.

My plan so far is to replace the Superhub with a Nighthawk and replace the old NetGear router with a new Gb capable switch and the one upstairs with a smaller one. Ideally one subnet and I don't want to end up in a Double-NAT situation.

So my question is, is this a good potential setup, if so what are good brands/models for the switches?

If not, what would you suggest instead?

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

You wont be able to completely replace the Superhub as you'll need the cable modem inside it but you can set it to modem only mode which will then let your new router handle everything else.

As far as switch manufacturers goes, if its branded it'll probably be fine. Here's a 5 port gigabit switch for less than £13 delivered. So your network map would go like this (if im understanding it right)

Superhub > new router > printer, NAS, PC
    ------------------------------> new upstairs switch > 2x PCs

You might find that your new router will sort out your signal issues. If not, you could always add an access point to the upstairs switch.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2015
  3. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Ah, thanks for the reminder about the Virgin cable modem, I'd completely forgotten.

Cheers for the link regarding the switch.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'd buy the new router first and locate it near the centre of your house. Also hold off buying switches until you are sure the single router can cover your whole house, otherwise you could use your existing draft-N router as switch and access point for upstairs.

So it goes
    VM superhub -> AC1900 router -> GB switch for NAS and computers
    - -> GB switch for upstairs computers

It all depends on how central your NAS and computer is located. If it's off to one side like my house, I've got great results relocating my new router (Asus AC68, also AC1900)

I've got my home network wired up like so:
    BT modem -> AC1900 router -> GB switch -> computers in the study
    - -> GB switch -> NAS and HP microserver
    - -> re-purposed old router as switch -> TV area TV and boxes

Basic principle is that location of wireless router should be determined by best location to provide wireless signal. Switches or re-purposed old routers hidden away behind cupboard/desks to provide wired connection.