1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education DIY or get someone else to change a bulb?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 28 Dec 2014.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I got some absolutely awesome drill bits that eat their way through tiles -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IRWIN-10501...ords=irwin+cordless+drill+bits#productDetails

I actually use that set for drilling most things, they look like masonry bits but if you use them with a hammer drill it will destroy them. They even let you drill a 12mm hole with a cordless drill with 10mm chuck :D Those + HSS set + some cobalt drills, and I can pretty much drill anything.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

They look decent, MB! I have just ordered one of these:

https://www.hilti.co.uk/drilling-and-demolition/hammer-drill-bits-(sds)/427817#

to finish a job on the house. It's 2' long, as the 1'6" dril I originally bought wasn't long enough.

I need some new 'normal' drill-bits though, plus some new screwdriver bits to replace my worn-out ones.

Is there a bit-tech 'post your tools' thread? (Yes, I'm being too lazy to search)

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yes there is. It's lost in the modding section, hasn't been bumped in years, but I'll dig it up in no time when I'm back on a PC :thumb:

4. Xir

Xir Modder

oooh, I feel some Necromancy coming up :D

5. Unicorn

Oops I forgot to bump that the other night. I'll do it today :thumb:

6. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I read this thread back when it was started, and the thought of people ringing up to change a lightbulb did amuse me.

Today though, I've just remembered that I have done this. Back when I was at uni, we had the striplight in the kitchen fail. There was no way I wanted to pay for it, so I complained to the landlord and he sent a repairman over to fix it.

Although it's the way the original article is structured, I'd be very surprised if the majority of 'yes' responses to the lightbulb question referred to bog-standard ES-type bulbs. External security lights that are high up, unusual bulbs etc could account for a lot of it.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been drilling though tiles recently like a man possessed. loads of new bathroom fittings, a extra wall mounted electrical socket in the kitchen.

Good tile drilling tip put a bit of electrical tape over the spot to be drilled, easier to mark and stops the drill bit slipping.

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I changed a light bulb once, I was left with the bayonet in the socket and the glass bulb came away from the fitting leaving the exposed electrics.

We had to replace the light fotting as a result.

I've never been trusted to do the job again.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That happened to me the other week, A pair of needle pliers soon had the metal bit out. Even remembered to switch the light off before doing that as well.LOL.

10. Unicorn

At the school I work in, we have two large mercury vapor security lights high up on the boiler house building. The labour cost of two electricians who had to hire a cherry picker to change one of those last year was £250!

11. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hey not all of us are bad. Have become a certified landlord in the borough where my properties are. Have even been over to a tenants at 3AM trying to help them get the boiler started. Also ways pre arranged visits called each tenant once a month to catch up.. etc etc one guy I even bought his kid birthday presents!

The way i figure it, if you are more of a human, tenants are more likely no to take the piss and will tell you when there is a problem.

Back to OP, i can do a lot on the list though smiling i photos, I cant do. My wedding photographer was not a happy bunny.

For the DIY stuff its usually a tag team event with my best friend as he has the most amazing set of tools in the world! (mine just end up lost or missing batteries and chargers, might look at that new set that share batteries / chargers).

Nims

12. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Ouch! I'll bet no-one thought about that when they were installed.

13. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Was it the first borough to introduce licenses?

14. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

No it wasnt. It was a voluntary scheme that they asked me to join back in 2008 as I had a number of properties rented via their private housing schemes. Council acts as an agent that introduces you to tenants that are working but on some form of housing benefit. Worked really well for the most part, most of my tenants situations were improving so essentially the portion paid via benefit goes down over time.

In the letting game the real crooks are "managing/letting agents", who do little for their cut, always trying to get me to push up the rent year on year when its not needed. I had one tenant who was a dream to deal with. Over the 4 years he rented from me I never put the rent up and I was really sad to see him go. His family had grown and the place was too small for them all. Unfortunately I didnt have anything bigger for him at the time.

Ending derail!

Regards,

15. Unicorn

Of course not, it's a school! There is no such thing as foresight in this environment, especially this one. I have seen so many stupid decisions taken here in the past 28 months as far as building maintenance goes, and I've lost count of how many times I could have said 'I told you so'.