1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hannspree launches Bay Trail Micro PC stick

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

How easy would it be to install another OS on this?! Say some streamlined linux to run XBMC and Limelight for some gaming fun.

3. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Erm, if they're £169, doesn't that basically mean you're paying more form them to remove the screen and battery? I mean, yes you have the ability to plug it into any display you like, and it wont run out of juice, but you could just 'cast' from the tablet to your big screen with it plugged into a charger...

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes. Yes, it does. Personally, I'd pick up a Linx 7 or Linx 8 at half the price (although the Linx 7 only has 1GB of memory). They've both got micro-HDMI, so you can plug it into a monitor or TV and use it exactly like the Micro PC plus pick it up and use it on-the-go, should you so choose. But that's just me.

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Good, I'm not going completely mad :S

The only advantage I see is that you don't need to find somewhere to store it like you would with a tablet, but to me that is not worth a price premium.

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Advert for Hannspree new product being smashed by the postee as overpriced (to read between the lines on the posts). Its so true though, what a waste of money especially given you can get an actual full blown PC for not much more. (Intel Nuc or BRIX with 2807, 32GB msata, 1x 4GB ram stick and OS for about £30 more..! You would be better off with the tablet alone for its portability, the fact it costs loads less and the fact that due to the processing levels of these tablets your not going to do much other than mobile gaming and office work which the 1GB of ram will be absolutely fine with handling.

You could even get an Asus Chromebox-M004U w/Celeron 2955U + Chrome OS for £145ish..

Last edited: 21 Jan 2015
  7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Also, you can get the exact same thing from ebay/aliexpress for $109!

8. Gareth Halfacree

Let me stop you there. This isn't an advert. Adverts are paid for and written by the company in question. This is a news article, written by me. Hannspree has paid nothing. I chose to write the piece because it's an interesting product. Does the fact that I find it interesting mean that I want one? No. If I only wrote about things I would personally buy, the news page would look vastly different. No non-Linux software, for a start. No graphics cards that cost more that £50, or CPUs that cost more than £100. No liquid cooling. No triple-A games. And that's just the start...

9. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Ok, you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick and felt the need to explain yourself here which you really didn't need to. Further more both of us are now on the defensive which just looks awkward.. Anyway, be it an advert that's paid for or an article that you've written off your own back, the perception is from reading the article to reading the posts be it by others or by yourself that this product is overpriced and to a degree a failure from the get go. Article or not, its still to a degree advertising and Hannspree have been slated. It had an underlying irony to it that's all that I found a little amusing that's all and you could almost see where it was heading from your opening post "tablet guts minus battery and screen" which is what interested me in the article.

10. Gareth Halfacree

I felt the need to correct your misconception that this was an advert, yes. I don't work in advertising.
    Have you ever seen me not on the defensive? Then I'm just offensive. (No, I didn't meant to write "on the offensive" there.)

11. samcat

samcat What's a Dremel?

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They aren't the only ones at it... Hexus clicky
    The 8 only has 1GB too, but it shares the same CPU as the 10, with double the memory bandwidth of the Linx 7. :)

13. Gareth Halfacree

Cheeky, innit? We're getting dangerously close to the dark old days of 'Performance Rating' instead of megahertz...
    Ah, that's it: I knew there was a reason the 8 was better than the 7, but couldn't quite remember what it was.

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

It's be nice to see the PassMark score next to every CPU in a product listing, but sadly that'll never happen :)

15. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Lambdatek have these for £122, we have ordered 15 of them for work (We are expanding our digital signage system, they are perfect for this!)

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Can you install any linux distribution on this ?

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

If that's all you want to do then you are much better off with a RaspberryPi and XMBC lot cheaper.