1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anyone with bad experiences of G2A?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by oscy, 2 Jan 2015.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So the price they sell the games at determines the legitimacy? I mean what makes GMG or Gamersgate and more legitimate? A lot of game on both G2A and Kinguin are steam gifts which if I'm not mistaken can be bought during a sale and then sold later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are dodgy codes on there but to imply they are all dodgy is silly. If one seller on one website sells dodgy codes then the website, G2A, is dodgy. If one website on the interwebs is dodgy then all websites on the interwebs are dodgy.

TLDR
    [​IMG]

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yes I can if I've paid good money and didn't realise they were stolen.

Personally I've never actually used the site but I have used other key sites which as far as I've been aware are legitimate. I mean how do I, as a buyer, know where I can or can't buy from with regard to Ubi titles?

I still think the fact they hit the buyer, without any warning, and not the seller is wrong.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2015
  3. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I realise its may little hard to tell at times, the sites I listed genuinely get their codes from publishers directly, and are 'white market' sites. That is what makes the makes them legitimate, they get what they sell directly from the source. Thus there is no risk for the end user.

Other sites that sell from multiple sources are 'Grey Market' sites, some of what they sell will be legitimate some stolen, and that increases the risk to the end user.

How do they know where you got the code from? You got it from a grey market, the very nature of which means they don't know where you got it from.

Also you potentially brought stolen goods, assuming you did, why should you be allowed to keep the stolen goods?

4. GravitySmacked

Ok I'll put this back to you; if you bought a car from a used car dealer and then the police came unannounced and took it away with no word of warning, explanation or compensation would you be angry?

5. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

With myself for not having checked the paperwork... you bet.

6. GravitySmacked

The paperwork doesn't always help though, just ask buyers who's car had been secured against a loan.

Look I'm not going to get into a flame war over this. Let's agree to disagree, you're obviously a lot more chilled and forgiving than me.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Just to update on the subject of Ubisoft and the game removals... there's a rapidly growing thread on their forums on the subject of them removing all Far Cry 4 codes purchased from G2A/G2Play and similar third party websites (which seems to show that they can tell rather easily where your codes come from).

Link to the discussion at Ubisoft's boards:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...-Cry-4-removal-from-our-libraries-Open-letter

The topic of Ubisoft's action is starting to spread to the smaller news sites as well.
    http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/far-cr...arties-being-cancelled-by-ubisoft-26-01-2015/

I think if they are going to stand by this action of targeting keys purchased from specific outlets, then Ubisoft are going to have to post a list on their website of officially supported retailers.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

9. suenstar

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

11. oscy

oscy Modder

I got Watch Dogs a couple of weeks ago and currently playing it, so far so good. Hopefully Ubisoft are going the EA route and only caring about games released in the past few months. So while that means zero support for gamebreaking errors, at least it might mean my 'old' game is safe from being removed.

This is why I don't immediately give feedback. It can always screw up before I finish it.

12. suenstar

If you got it from one of the mentioned websites (G2A, G2Play, kinguin and so on) then keep careful watch of your game as that is another game where people are starting to find their games locked/removed.
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1001144-Watch_dogs-activation-key-banned?

Edit:
    It seems that Ubisoft's community team are sticking to a single blanket statement to any enquiries that customers put into their support:

"Hello,

This is an update on the current issue you have experienced with your activation key you purchased.

We regularly deactivate keys that were fraudulently obtained and resold. In this case, we are currently investigating the origin of the fraud, and will update

customers as soon as we have more information to share. In the meantime, customers should contact the vendor from whom they purchased the key.

Please check our official forums and social media networks for the update.

Thanks,

Adam"

13. GravitySmacked

14. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Firstly yeah I wasn't trying to argue with you and yeah I'm a pretty chill kind of guy.

And yeah the article does raise some good points, I orignally went to G2A the first time as it was recommended by Jackfrags.

Someone paid to promote EA games, yet when I brought one on G2A using his affiliation code it was banned from Origin, that is a very concerning mixed message.

I however still cannot advocate theft and piracy, even from Ubisoft (aka the great Satan of gaming).

15. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm going to exit it now and restart just to see what happens.

To be honest I knew it was a risk with Uplay. Origin and Uplay I foresaw as likely giving me trouble if I bought anything from G2A, but I really wanted to give Watch Dogs a go. Worst case scenario I just play another game.

I just hope if it is removed that the saves are kept.

16. suenstar

It's very worrying with G2A probably being one of the most common sponsors for Twitch broadcasters, if all publishers are going to start going down this route then they're likely going to create some major backlash.

I'd be interested to see if any of the major games journalists could get a statement from one of the companies listed on G2A's premium partner list. Surely, if CD Projekt Red are really openly supporting them as a partner, then they must be doing something right.
    ---------

On the subject of game saves, I'd imagine even if you're using their cloud synchronisation for saves that they'll still be safe.

17. GravitySmacked

Nor can I but this isn't about theft (by the end user) or piracy it's about Ubisoft being toxic to people who have, in good faith, purchased one of their games.

Anyway now it's hit the mainstream media it will be interesting to see there response.

18. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

The keys aren't legit. Everyone should be asking G2A why they are selling or allowing the sale of keys they have no right to sell.

There is the other issue that there is no definitive list of authorised sellers but it seems here that G2A have ****ed up, simple as that.

Although there's always the chance that Ubisoft are just being dicks for the sake of it.

As for youtubers and streamers advertising G2A, it's all about the money...

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

actually the keys ARE legit - they are cheaper in other markets , but G2A sell them world wide (and sometimes you have to add or change game files to use non English language set games)

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Are they? Proof? It could be that this is Ubi banning a stack of keys obtained via credit card fraud and the like. G2A is basically eBay for keys and it's well within the realm of possibility that there was mass fraud with popular titles. Unfortunately, Ubi are putting out minimal information which is the problem.

I'm not a fan of region blocking, or deleting games acquired from out of region, but Ubi aren't alone. Steam has been just as punitive with Russian sellers on the marketplace and has some really draconian rules in place regarding game trades across regions.