1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Using magnets for case doors?!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by maRiio, 27 Jan 2015.

1. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Hey y'all! :)

I'm in the middle of doing a distressed, weathered casemod right now which I'm going to post here anytime soon when it's done. But now to the question I'm facing right now.

The case I'm modding is a Corsair 600T where I had the original doors removed and replaced them with some redesigned ones, made from 8mm thick acrylic.
    Now, since the mounting/closing options are quite limited due to the missing lock mechanism I thought about using magnets to keep the door in place. The magnets should be mounted onto the acrylic itself where the inner bars of the structure of the case should act as counterparts for the magnets.
    So fine, so good :D

I ordered some N52 neodym magnets (8mm in diameter) where I'm kinda worried now if they may interfere with the circuits of the mainboard. The distance between the board and the magnets is around 3-4cm. Maybe I'm overreacting but yeah...

Those are the magnets I ordered (hope posting ebay-links is allowed):
    http://www.ebay.at/itm/171001572267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any electrical engineers around? :)

Cheers,
    Mario

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Could you fashion some little sheets of iron which sit behind the case-side magnets to capture the majority of the field? Maybe see if you can borrow as gaussmeter from someone...

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

As I understand it there will be no case side magnets and he wants to use the frame as the case side part.

I don't think that will be strong enough - and the side will want to move about, really you are going to want to install a magnet on both the case side and the panel side.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I can't imagine such magnets would cause a problem with the electronics. They are fairly strong, but their field does not extend very far at all and in any case I've never heard of computer equipment being affected by a magnet.

5. maRiio

maRiio What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for your answers.
    I did a little of testing and it came out they are quite perfect when it comes to their magnetic field! :)

I think I did explain wrong. The original side panels which are made from metal got removed. Those metal panels got some locking mechanism on them.
    I made new panels from acrylic glass, where of course isn't such locking mechanism available so I had to figure out how to mount the acrylic panels.
    So my thinking was to mount magnets onto the acrylic panels which then snap onto the metal frame of the case.

THANKS AGAIN! :)