1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Création n°3 // ITX Bamboo HTPC- 30.01.3015 - Update 6 (and MOTM nominee)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Monsieur R., 17 Feb 2013.

1. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Great work! :)

2. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Création n°3 - HTPC Edition - Update 5
    Custom MB backplate

- Crystal Fighter, "At home" in Star of love-

Hi Bit-Tech ! :blush:

It's been a long time but after three months being very busy with my work, I finally found a little bit of free time to progress a little bit on Création n°3. My initial plan was to create custome SATA cables but I realised I did a mistakes hen I ordered my electrical wires : I bought 18 AWG wires but the connectors of the Pico PSU requires 22 AWG wires... :wallbash: So I ordered new ones and, until they arrive, and until I purchase the GPU (I still don't know if I will go for a passive GTX 750/750 Ti or a standard GTX 750/750 Ti), I advanced on the only part on which I was able to work : the motherboard backplate.

There were two options : the first one, the simplest, was to cut a large rectangle in bamboo in order to fit the standard backplate. Simple, easy and very quick. But aesthetically, it don't like it because I want to keep as close as possible of the main idea of an unibody bamboo shell/frame. The other option is to use the standard backplate as a template and directly drill holes in the bamboo. An so I did (which my wood chisel, some files and a lot of elbow grease) :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilling and sanding the holes in the right place and right size was not the most complicate, just time consuming, but removing 7mm of bamboo was painful. And, to be honest, I'm not 100% happy with the finish : it's not smooth and clean as I'd love it to be, so I think that I will have to finish with a router. It will be noisy and dirty, but if it can makes it look better... Well, the most important point is : I removed 7mm of bamboo and there is now enough space to fitt the motherboard between the wood case and the aluminium HDD cages. In theory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Humm. Not that bad :) And I'm really happy because, since I begin working on Création n°3, it's the first time it looks like a "real" computer case ^^ Let's see what it looks like if I straighten it vertically in its final position...

[​IMG]

And voilà ! Evrything fitts correctly, even if the Motherboard is 0,5 mm to close to the HDD cages. But when I will route it down, it will be better.

I hope you enjoyed, and wish you a happy end of the year ! I hope to be back just after the CES :eek:

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Isn't that pretty. I mean, isn't that just pretty. I love these finely crafted small systems. :)

4. Monsieur R.

Création n°3 - HTPC Edition - Update 6
    HDD cages and custom SATA power

- Phantogram, "When I'm small" in Eyelid Movie-

Hi Bit-Tech ! :)

Well, I think being selected for this 2015 january MOTM is a perfect timing for a new update. But before going further, thanks a lot Combatus[/i] for this honor. Whatever happens, I'm already happy to be part of the Six :blush: And also thanks a lot Nexxo for loving small systems like mine (did I told you I also loved nice machined system like yours ?)

In this update, I will focus on the SATA cables for the SSD and HDDs. Instead of the "measure twice, drill once" technique, I went for the low tech way a.k.a. "if it does not collapse it's ok" technique.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, It's highly low tech : a notebook, a pen, some tape and kitchen string. It's not very exciting, but taking the right measurements directly on the object is ultimately faster and more efficient than engaging in lengthy and complicate calculations. Plus, it reduces the risks of errors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After creating the raw custom SATA power cables, it was time to play with the router. :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the first time since the biginning in July, I removed the masking tape, in order to clean the acrylic :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To remove the scratches made by the router, low-tech technique (again) : ruler + sandpaper + patience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It worked so well that I used the same process to clean the MB backplate :

[​IMG]

Now, the HDD. Because the HDD will be directly in contact with the non anodized aluminium cages, I had to insulate them. My first though was to use something like plastidip, but I was affraid of the thickness. My second though was to use some clearcoat my girlfriend use for her nails, but I didn't want to void the warranty. I finally decided to use my trusty blue masking tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inserting the SSD (7 mm) in the aluminium cages was easy, but I can't say the same for the HDD (9,5 mm). I had to "Jeremyclackrsons" them :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Voilà. I'm 81% happy with the result :) But there is still a lot of work to do.
    Thanks for your attention, and have a nice week-end :hip:

Last edited: 31 Jan 2015
  5. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Your custom Power Panel is one fine piece of art my good sir!

Love the detailed work, the system/case is coming along unbelieveably! :thumb:

Think this is a MOTY nomination in the making!

6. Monsieur R.

Thanks a lot Noob? for appreciating it :) I'm not sur it will deserve a MOTY nomination, already being in this month MOTM selection is such an honor. But at least I will try to finish it before the end of the year. :D

7. Kviker

Kviker What's a Dremel?

sorry for necro-post, its alive?