1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony sells off Sony Online Entertainment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

What was that? Sorry, I don't know much about SWG.

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Star Wars Galaxies I guess. Dunno what does NGE mean though.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'New Game Experience' iirc, from what i remember they made changes to the game to try and entice new players, which backfired massively as very few new players came and all they the achieved was massively pissing off and alienating the existing players...

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

As mentioned SWG is Star Wars Galaxies, the NGE part refers to "New Game Enhancements" that were done back in Nov 2005 which in the eyes of a large portion of the player base completely ruined the game with over simplification and removal of a lot of beloved parts... it was such an extreme change to the game that they had mass cancellations on subscriptions, in game protests and gained a bit of a media circus with people criticizing the choices.

Hopefully this move doesn't result in a downturn on the H1Z1 development... or more importantly, doesn't cause any major screw-ups for Planetside 2.

6. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

What they done to SWG was one of the big reasons WoW became so popular. I am not saying it is the only reason. But if they didn't mess with SWG, then I wouldn't have gone to the WoW beta along with all our guild in SWG, and pretty much all our citizens of the town that we built too.

7. suenstar

I'm certain World of Warcraft left beta before the 'new game enhancements' drama, almost 7 months before it.

8. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

I've never played a SOE game since SWG was ruined. Didn't they produce the Matrix online as well?

Also the SOE launcher/Station thing was horrible back in the early days...not sure what it's like today though.

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Looking at their list of games (link), I haven't played a single one.
    Hopefully this split will be a good thing :)

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Surprised. Admittedly I've only played PS2, and not recently, but I did enjoy it when I did.

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

**** everything else JUST TELL ME PLANETSIDE 2 WILL GET ALL THOSE UPDATES they've been promising the past couple years!

12. Stormwulf

Stormwulf A mod to far?

Maybe with any luck they might make a new version of SWG that is closer to the original. Think it would probably go down a storm , as opposed to causing a storm like SOE managed with their ridiculous CU and NGE patches.

13. suenstar

Have you had a look at the SWG Emulator project at all? If not, then you might be interested in it as they're a group trying to re-create the game as it was before it got screwed over.
    It's a massive undertaking as they don't have access to any of the original source code or assets so are building it entirely from scratch.

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

History lesson! http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/0...xies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge-5/

All you really need to know, 400'000 active subscribers to under 20'000 in twelve months.

Google it, but essentially ripping out the old game, features, paid content and all, then replacing it with an entirely new (rubbish) game, resetting all the stats and doing it less than a week after a major expansion was released (the 'update' naturally rendered the whole expansion unusable).

It basically killed SWG at a stroke, over time SOE quietly put a lot of the pre-NGE features back in, but by that point it was irrelevant and the player base had moved onto WoW.

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I remember SWG, running around as a Jedi then uninstaling so many hours of my life because of the NGE lol.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Same here. Not played any of those. Well good luck to them. Hopefully they will eventually make a game I want to play.

17. Stormwulf

Stormwulf A mod to far?

Yes , I have watched the various emulator projects for SWG over the last few years to see how they do. Unfortunately now I think it is looking too dated which is why I hope someone would pick up the batton and make a new version based on the original game and not the dross that SOE created at the end

18. rollo

rollo Modder

SOE no longer have the Star Wars rights so they could not make it even if they wanted to. EA has the sole rights to a mmo game.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm wondering when they are going to pull their fingers out and get on with finishing and launching Everquest Next?

20. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Battlefront could be incredible though!

Inevitable it will be FULL of bugs though, because EA will push it to be released in time for the new films. Mark my words.