1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam H1Z1 fun

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Votick, 15 Jan 2015.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Managed a few games and every one of them was laggy, interacting with anything was hit and miss and the Zombies I came across just stood still and never chased you. The loot was very hard to find and every time i came across another player it turned into a punch up. I did manage to find several vehicles but none were ready to drive as they needed parts to fix them, none of these parts were anywhere to be found.

The game has potential but the PTW aspect is off putting. Sony are giving until Monday to claim a refund if you have purchased and not happy with the game, i think this is a great offer by them and i am taking them up on it. I know i paid for early access and should expect flaws but pay to win seems the only way in this game and has put me off.

2. rma

rma Minimodder

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Well I played a fair bit yesterday after finally being able to get on a server (only a few EU servers, all with high wait times - 1.5 hours), which was in itself an oversight but I can't really complain too much as it's fairly new and launches are always fecked up.

I only ever saw one player with a gun and that was on one of my first characters. Air drops were very common (one every few minutes really) - you can tell not only because the sound of a plan but it locks the air drop button in your inventory. I could never find one when I did hear it though.

I spent most of my time munching on blackberries to stay alive. Loot is very rare (making air drops more valuable I guess). After most of the day I had a few weapons and (bow, axe and machete) and a few supplies, although I couldn't really do much with them all apart from continue looting empty buildings or attack other people for theirs. There is a lot of forests/fields/mountains with camps, and small towns dotted around and then a few slightly larger places. The map felt reasonably sized but I had deja vu running around so was probably smaller than it seemed (I didn't bother checking out/using a community map).

It has the whole DayZ culture of everyone either screaming friendly on site or just trying to kill you. Some amusing moments and got my pulse racing a few times.

AI for zombies and animals is fairly bad. I found a wolf, it ran at me and attacked me once then stood still. Zombies hurt a little and bleeding was a PITA (loot is rare so bandages are too) but they weren't a massive threat apart from the ones that run at you and were reasonably rare to come across. Their animations were terrible - zombies can attack you while you run behind them so they are facing the other way and the combat was just swinging and running round and it was hard to get a gauge on their attacks and range which didn't appear to line up well with the animations.

It is DayZ lite and less clunky, and I can see it being a reasonably fun game when it is developed a lot more but a huge amount depends on how they play out this P2W business and balance the game overall from that. I did feel deceived by Smed but decided to give it a go seeing as I had paid for it but ultimately refunded.

One to watch, but doesn't really bring much in its present form and certainly doesn't command a £15 price tag to test what could turn out just to be a p2w cash cow. Bit of a shame but I'm not hugely disappointed as it still does have potential. The lies and then subsequent reaction to inevitable flames however (we all know the gaming community as a whole is fairly vocal and obnoxious anyway) aren't acceptable in my opinion.

4. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I got this game yesterday, and must say I'm really enjoying it. I find the fact there appears to be a lot more people on a server than DayZ makes it more edgy as you feel more like theres someone following you. For Early Access its really good looking, and as long as the P2W system isn't too OP it doesn't affect me really. DayZ was too overcomplicated and this seems like it would be a good balance in the case of it.

Pay to Win doesn't seem like the only way to win this game, as you can find guns, but the fact that they are more sparse (At the moment, the loot system might be getting updated) makes it more valuable and better moment when you find one.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That's unfair....

[​IMG]

:D

6. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Really good game so far, though I got run over by some unkind guy called Kiwan, and then sniped by Imbasnizzle or something such. People really are nasty in the post-outbreak world.

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The worst in any of these games are the people who instantly start shouting "FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY" as they pull out a weapon, and start running at you.

8. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Always shoot first.

9. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

So true.

I played the game for a few days shortly after it was released, got shot many times, shot people many times. Had a great time. I haven't gone back to it since though...

10. panda_uk

panda_uk What's a Dremel?

I'll wait for this to go free to play before I get involved. Looks good though from what I've seen.

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I waited 6 months to get this and it seems like it was worth it!

Having a blast playing on the London server with 3 mates. Just encountered another player, and after some nervous chat, we ended up doing a ammo exchange and going on our way.

Voice works really well, and there is a palpable tension when you come across another player.

Planning to raid the small town of cranberry by the big lake tomorrow.

Edit, also used my powers to change the thread title, hope that is OK votick.