1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU fan error

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by TeenGeek, 18 Feb 2015.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Hey all,
    I purchased a Corsair H100i today, to go with my brand spanking new GTX 980 :). Anyway, I went to install the cooler, and the fans happened to get in the way of my 8-pin power for the motherboard. Being the novice modder that I am and aspire to be, I ground the frame of the fan down trying to get everything to fit. Now it's all running great, the blades of the fan aren't rubbing on anything and It's all nice and quiet.
    The problem is that every time I power on the system, I get a CPU fan error, even though both fans are plugged into my 4 pin CPU fan headers. If I go into the bios, then exit without saving changes, everything runs perfectly fine, with both fans spinning. (According to my BIOS, the fans are at roughly 500 RPM.
    Does anyone know how to fix this issue, without replacing the fan (hopefully without taking it all apart again too, since this all took a couple of hours.)
    Thanks!
    Kevin

P.S.
    All hardware/OS will be accurate about ten minutes after I post. I'll be updating it right now, so everyone knows the accurate info on that. BIOS and drivers are all up to date.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Don't the fans on a H100i plug directly into the pump/CPU contact plate and then the pump is powered by the CPU fan header (set to full speed)?

I might be wrong but last time I fitted one that's what I think I did :)

TeenGeek likes this.
  3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Noizdemon is right, you should have a Y splitter for the fans. The other end of the splitter goes into the pump. Next you should see a fan header on the SATA power Cable that powers the pump. That goes on the CPU fan header :thumb:

TeenGeek likes this.
  4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Forgot about the SATA power connector (yay no molex :D), thanks for clarifying Pookie :thumb:

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Yes they do connect into the pump, go onto their website they have clear instructions. If you want pictures of how and where they connect I'll take pictures of mine to show you.

TeenGeek likes this.
  6. TeenGeek

Ah, okay, thanks guys! I just assumed that it wouldn't actually matter if I did it that way. I suppose I will get to that tomorrow.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Just to note. I got confused with my Y splitter cable, as I couldnt see how to connect the fans! I soon realised Corsair had placed a plastic sheath over the pins to prevent them getting bent. So just slipped them off and away I went (if you have them of course).

TeenGeek likes this.
  8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

To add, once you've re-jigged the connections about, head back into your BIOS and set "CPU Fan Speed Low Limit" to Ignore. This will stop the error coming up if the pump is spinning too slowly on startup.

TeenGeek likes this.
  9. TeenGeek

Thanks guys,
    Those pin covers were the most difficult thing for me to figure out, since the instructions don't have anything in them about pulling off a cover in order to connect the fans. To make matters worse, they don't even have a different color for the sheathe, and since it's all black, the seam between them is not very obvious.
    After about twenty minutes of investigation, I finally figured out that they pull off...:duh::duh::duh:
    Thanks for the advice all!