1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows freezing while downloading? Ethernet cables?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by GTIgeneral, 23 Feb 2015.

1. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I've had a strange problem for a while now where windows will freeze for a few seconds when downloading through uTorrent or Steam. I have a 120gb SSD and a 2TB HDD, i downloading everything onto the HDD so at first i thought that maybe the HDD was dying, So then i changed the HDD and still had the problem so i had steam to download to the SSD but still get the problem.

I even reinstalled windows to no avail, it's really bugging me now and don't know what else to try.

I thought it may have been driver related so i used Driver Genius to find me all the latest drivers for everything which didn't cure the problem.

Any ideas?

Only thing i can think of is either a sata problem on my motherboard or a problem with my wireless adapter.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015
  2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Can you switch to an ethernet cable? What about other computers in the house, do they do the same?

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Is it a virus scanner scanning the downloading files or part of the on-access scanner?

There's a program about that should show you what's doing what on the hard drives, but I can never remember what it's called, someone else should know.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it will be a wireless problem, what router do you have? as pookie suggested try using Ethernet and see if it still does it.

5. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

thanks for the reply guys, Ethernet isn't an option at the moment, Routers been moved to the hallway and the pc is upstairs.

The router i have is the standard one that comes with talktalk which is a huawei HG523a and i'm using a edimax/realtek pci wifi adapter,

Cerberus90 - That program sounds like it may be useful.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

How old is the router? They come out with a new model every so often. I can't remember if talktalk have an AC model or only N. Maybe you could get them to send you a newer model if yours is old.

7. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

If you have a long enough ethernet cable you could still just give it a quick test out to confirm or not, would be a sure fire way to confirm.

8. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

I have exactly the same issue - windows boots in 3-4 seconds off the SSD (840 EvO in rapid mode) and steam starts - I can't touch anything until steam finishes its downloads/updates.

It's been driving me crazy the last few weeks.

Using GbE from the onboard - other downloads (torrents, usenet etc) that are maxing the connection have no impact on performance.

9. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

The router is less than a year old and I didnt have this problem before so I doubt its that.

Would need a pretty long cable lol, doing some DIY around the house over the next couple of weeks so should be moving the router into the room next to mine. I'm going to drill a hole between the rooms and run a ethernet cable, hopefully it will solve the problem. if not then i guess it could be down to the motherboard maybe :(

It really sucks doesn't it.

10. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Just tried using Deluge and get the same problem so atleast I know know that its not a software based fault.
    I get this problem when downloading to the HDD or SSD. Does software download to the primary drive (SSD)and then pass it on to the secondary drive (HDD) or does it simply just download direct to the selected folder on the secondary drive (HDD)?
    What I'm trying to work out is if there was a fault with the SSD would it cause problems when downloading to the HDD?
    Deluge works without crashing when i limit the download speed to 500kbps instead of maxing it out to 1.7mbps

Rather than make a new thread somewhere in the forums, could someone tell me if there's anything I need to be looking out for when buying an Ethernet cable?

I've been looking on eBay and can get a 5m cable for around £2-3, is there any need to buy a more expensive cable?

So I just borrowed my neighbours WiFi adapter and after removing all the old drivers and installing new ones it seems to have solved the problem! its the first time I've ever had problems with a WiFi adapter, I'm still going to go for a wired connection so now I just need an Ethernet cable and a SDS drill bit :D

thanks for everyone's input

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015