1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Homeworld License: UPDATE Gearbox HD Remakes Release Date 25 Feb 2015!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Blogins, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

After some further play last night. I find interface sizes very strange. 1 is too small, 2 is just slightly too large to be comfortable, 3 and 4 are just ridiculous.

I still prefer HW2's interface.

Also, the small space-rocks such as resources seems to become invisible in the remaster. I replayed a vs CPU skirmish map I used to play a lot on HW2, and had to look really hard on the area I knew should have resource to find it.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2015
  3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I'm ok with the UI icon sizes at setting 1, but the unit cards for selected groups, say when you have 10x fighters selected, the text for the count is too small, as are the unit cards when more than 1 or 2 different units are selected. Setting 2 in the interface makes every other UI element too big IMO.

Still, that aside, so far very impressed. Stopped at mission 4 from HW1 remastered as it was 2am...!

Did a few rounds of the hybrid remastered MP with a mate vs 2 CPU players, seems to run well and most things seems to work ok, although how the balance actually is remains to be seen.

4. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone played in 4k yet? I tried last night and found that the mouse pointer didn't go all the way over to the right of the screen, so I could not select menus or pan right.

Might be just my PC as I had literally finished building a new rig to play this game in 4k.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No problems here.

6. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've had a quick 5 minutes on HW 1 Remastered, looking forward to seeing hours disappear into these like I did when they were first released :)

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm experiencing this right now! :D

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So I've done the HW1 campaign and now ploughing through 2. Also played several MP matches. The move of HW1 to the HW2 engine has definitely carried over some bugs, but it's pretty clear to see that Relic learnt from HW1 and the sequel is simply far more polished.

Multiplayer is pretty fun, but you need to be a HW2 race to be competitive, and the Hiigarans are OP right now. However, it is beta, so I'm expecting some massive rebalance patches.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Homeworld 1 has the better story/atmosphere but Homeworld 2 has the better gameplay.

why is life so unfair :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Mar 2015
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This Remaster is pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. There are so many little touches, like harvestable asteroids having a texture that updates as it is depleted, or the improved burst fire feature on a Heavy Corvette.

Beautiful.

11. wyx087

What are those?

I've gotten to the ion frigate sphere level, now the grinding begins.

For anyone else who's having trouble in Supernova station, turn AA off! I had trouble seeing the dust clouds in this level, the solution from the internet is to turn off AA and then I was just about able to see the path in sensors view.

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Enjoying playing through HW1 remastered at the moment, forgot how much harder HW1 was than number 2! Story in HW1 is good but I much prefer the gameplay of 2, and not just because it's easier but it just seems to flow better.

The use of salvage corvettes seems pretty important from my experience so far. Also, just got to the asteroid level, very difficult, my ships keep crashing into them when trying to attack. Any tips to get past that level and preserving my ships?

13. wyx087

Move your frigates to the left or right in front of mothership, but out of asteroid's path. On the same plane as the fighters when they undock.
    Attack biggest asteroids as they flow pass the frigates. Smaller asteroids may change direction so don't waste your firepower on them unless you are certain it will hit.
    Then have all repair ships repair the mothership, I was fine with 4 repair corvettes and 1 repair frigate.
    Move stuff like carriers directly behind the mothership.
    Don't bother with fighters and corvettes. You don't even need to move or dock them.
    Don't bother harvest.

Anyone else have bucket loads of resource about half way through? I've got over 30k RU for some unknown reason.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have decided not to buy it.

Yet.

Too many games on the go at the moment - I'm going to finish a few of them before I add any more to the library. When I play this it will have my undivided attention, well... apart from annoying things like work and feeding the family etc..

15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I really should have thought it through before I used the Steam code from Gearbox. I ended up getting this as I subbed to the Gearbox Twitch channel on community day back in 2013. We were told we'd be in a beta and get a game free, but not told what they would be.

Installed it, looked at it and remembered I would never have time to learn how to play this :( I already have way too many games going on right now. My YouTube/Twitch channels are dying because I don't have time to do any kind of LPs and I can't stream mp games (thanks 25:1 internet). I should've given the code away instead. Buggerrrrrrrrrrr.

I guess at least the email said I was now on some Gearbox list for future betas though. Which is nice...

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm disappointed in you :eyebrow:

3 taiidan assault frigates being hauled away by salvagers

17. wyx087

I thought it's some mega destroyer, combining missile destroyer with ion beams. :p

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Interesting. I only had two. IIRC in the original there were four.

In other good news, HW Remastered topped the Steam charts! Homeworld 3, here we go!

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Return to Kharak?

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Hauled ass through HW1RM, just finished the last mission.

God It's good, shame they couldn't get Yes back for the credits, though.

Sadly there's all sorts of little bugs that were irritating the hell out of me, because I'm trying to use original HW1 tactics on RM and it's just not working (Craft not keeping formations, Aggressive/Evasive tactics completely missing, Repair order not sticking for more than a single cycle, leading to constant Micro of the repair units, Units in sphere formation told to guard something else just cling to the side of it like a cancerous growth of strikecraft rather than surrounding the guarded vessel, so on and so forth)

HW:RM also copy-pastes HW2's "Difficulty Scaling" system, so all of you hoarding ships; Make a save right at the end of Mission 10, trust me, You'll thank being able to roll back and decommission when Mission 11 rolls around. (That said, Mission 11 is possible if you can get enough Salvage Corvettes over fast enough, but it's bloody hard.)

Thing that really bugged me was the shift from HW1's raytrace hit system to HW2's Tabled Diceroll, so in HW1; A gun fires, the bullet continues till it hits something, friendly or enemy, and does damage. This means big guns with terrible tracking speeds have effectively no chance to hit fighters, while tiny guns with fast tracking speeds will make mincemeat of them, as well as meaning you risk friendly fire if you're shooting at Salvettes or similar. HW2 just looks at the gun, then at the table for the craft it wants to be shooting at, and rolls a dice to determine if it's a hit or not. This leads to Battlecruisers firing a round that so desperately wants to ruin a fighter's day that it'll chase it down around corners, Ion Beams that can bend around asteroids, all sorts of "fun" things like that, also means that heavy vessels, Destroyers, Battlecruisers/Heavy Cruisers can take out reasonable sized wings of strikecraft way more often than they should be able to.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015