1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage HDD in Raid starting to rattle, what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSHunter, 1 Mar 2015.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Hi guys,
    I have my NAS (HP Micro in raid 1? mirror raid)
    some/one of the drives is rattling on boot. Mechanical issue.
    is there a software that can detect mechanical failure?
    What is the best procedure to transfer data to a new disk?
    is there a software to transfer and verify data integrity?

This is hardware based raid, I do not know if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If its hardware RAID, you should have a software interface and access to a raid BIOS, which should give you some sort of indication which drive is failing.

Failing that, if you have free drive space, back everything up. Seriously do it, do it now.

Once you have something you can play with, shut it down a pull a disk and see what happens. If the bad disk is in there, shut down, pull it and put the good disk in (DON'T LEAVE THE BAD DISK IN). Once you have the good disk in, get a replacement and start the rebuild process.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Try looking at the SMART data too to see if there is anything wrong looking there too. Do you know which drive is the issue?

4. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

In my hp microserver n36 hardware raid is handled by the AMD chipset, probably the N40 and N56 are the same. If you find the hp support page find and download the AMD RAID Xpert software, this installs a web gui management program that you can access in your web browser. It should keep logs and I think if you are lucky these are stored in the hardware, it can also verify the disks and arrays (although caution if you can already tell it is on the way out a verify may tip the failing array over the edge). It may have already flagged these issues but had no way to notify you, I have set up my hardware raid managers to send notification emails, I recommend you do the same.