1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Want to replace my sig HTPC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 1 Mar 2015.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

As per title guys. I feel my sig HTPC is way over specced for what it does. All it does is occasional Netflix and 1080p mkv playback.

I was considering a raspberry pi but not sure it would handle the mkvs. They're encoded at CQ 15 on handbrake if that helps :)

I've tried AMD AM1 gear but it didn't save me any space. Space and power use are the two things that I really want to reduce, space being the main one.

Suggestions are all welcomed :)

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Look for used net top or thin clients with nvidia or amd graphics. They can often be picked up for pretty cheap and are perfect for htpc. Many are quite small and some of the better ones are even passive cooled. Most of the thin clients will absolutely need to have an ssd (or I suppose 2.5 hdd works too) as they tend to only come with tiny flash doms which are too small to be useful. There are also some thin client models that have internal pci-e slot so you could add a gpu if you can't find good price on something with nvidia or amd... though finding the case extender kits for them can be a different story. Or, newer Atom models that have intel HD graphics are up to the job too, but it's not as likely to find those on the cheap yet.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. noizdaemon666

I was hoping something less expensive faugusztin :p anyone used a Raspberry Pi 2?

6. matiss

matiss Minimodder

Friend of mine just got his Pi2 so no info yet on this one. But another one is using a Odroid which has about the specs of the Pi2 and he told me XBMC works without problems. I´ll ask him again tomorrow and the other one if he has news about the Pi2.
    Only thing about the Odroid is that it has less available software and could be more work depending on what you do with it.

//EDIT:
    Just got a response, it's an Odroid C1 and he had no troubles with any video types so far.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015
  7. dhicks001

dhicks001 What's a Dremel?

Intel NUC?

8. noizdaemon666

I considered a NUC but the lure of the Pi was strong. I've gone for the Pi2 just waiting for delivery now :D

9. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

My fire tv appears to be able to playback everything I have thrown at it so far....

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

ASRock Q1900TM-ITX. £95,--, thin ITX, works off a laptop adapter, passively cooled, CIR header, HTPC header. Handles 5 HD streams simultaneously without breaking a sweat. Everything you need, nothing you don't need.

11. noizdaemon666

Good shout nexxo but it's 3x the price of the Pi2. My Pi2 just got delivered :D A fun day ahead of testing stuff for me :yay:

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Let me know how you get on. I always wondered how many HD streams a Pi can handle. I would have needed it to manage at least three.