1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips Beginner video equipment on a budget?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Mr-IK, 1 Mar 2015.

1. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Hi everyone

So I've been playing around with a EOS 550D lately, and I've gotten pretty comfortable with it. I've identified a few weakpoints in my setup - specially in regards to lighting and sound.

I'm going to be using the camera to shoot some 3-10 minute instructables at work, and so we need some equipment to get us rolling. Most of the videos will be shot at our office, which is a pretty small and not that well lit-up place. I've tampered a bit with the white-balance on the camera and have found a way to reduce the yellowish hue on the videos, but it still looks grainy, as if there's not enough light present.

For now, these are some of the items I've got on my shopping list, but I would like to hear your guys opinions - most importantly in the lighting area:

Sound:

I've figured out that the Rode Videomic will probably suit our needs pretty well. Though it doesn't seem to be that high-end, we are a small company, and our videos are not meant as marketing material as much as a practical work-tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-Directional-Microphone-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B0007U9SOC

I'm fairly sure this one does the job, and I've read that this version should be better than the smaller and cheaper "Go"-version of the same product.

Light:

This is a really hard one to figure out. I'm not sure that we need 3-point lighting, but we probably will end up doing so anyway. I don't think price is the issue as much as the whole complexity of the setup.

I've read good things about budget-solutions such as this Yougnuo (http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Adjustable-Temperature-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B00EI4YB7M), but I'm still a bit concerned about the end-product when using a light like this. Is it only for portraits or?

Hope you guys have some input, and perhaps some DYI setups you wanna show off :)

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If you're shooting in static conditions, you probably want softboxes.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

4. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Thanks guys :) It looks like I'll have to check out some lightbox/softbox setups

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

FYI, this was lit almost entirely using the two softboxes linked above. The barn has a couple of large overhead lamps but we recorded in a rainstorm so there was hardly any daylight.