1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

More positively:
    Wyrmwood
    7.5/10
    A film featuring Aussies and Zombies. What could possibly go wrong. It's loud, it's funny, it's violent, it's stupid and it works.
    It's not going to rewrite the genre, and no one's going to win any Oscars, but it's good fun to watch.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Hanna

6/10

Been looking forward to this for ages, but it left me feeling rather meh. Premise is good, but execution just isn't pulled off as well as it could or should have been, pacing is weird, various scenes I had to skip over for fear of falling asleep, and the big plot twist was also meh- a rather overhyped film I'd say. Comparing it to something vaguely similar, such as Leon, this just isn't upto the standard it deserved to be made to.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Predestination WTF/10

Like...WTF did I just watch? As in... WTF did I just watch?

4. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Fury 8/10

Was better than I was expecting. As a WWII buff there was some annoying moments towards reality, but it is a Hollywood movie so I will not criticize it at all. I enjoyed it very much and it was very authentic looking in costumes and equipment.

Probably the best war flick to come out for quite some time. Beats Saving Private Ryan in many ways in my opinion. Not in the action stakes, but more in the way of conveying the bond/relationship and mental effects on men subjected to continued war.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

^ i prefer it over saving privite ryan simply down to the Tiger

once the ''Tiger'' appears in SPR i simply cannot take the movie seriously, it just looks to wrong
    [​IMG]
    Tiger from Saving Private Ryan

[​IMG]

Acual Tiger tank ( Tiger 131, the ONLY running tiger tank in the world, and used for Fury )

6. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

SPR is pretty much a fail all over, except for the opening attack. Was thinking about Hanks's shakey hand last night and started laughing. Not sure why I ever liked the movie really.

Planning a trip to Tank Fest again this year. Need to see the Tiger again. It is epic seeing it in the flesh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Mar 2015
  7. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Not a film but House of Cards Season 3, 7/10

I'm a massive fan of the first two series but this one somehow felt like a let down.

My main sticking points where not enough quotes to the viewer from Spacey which made the first so good.
    Too long, boring at times, and definitely lacking the humor, rhythm of the preceding series.

A

8. bladecs_04

bladecs_04 What's a Dremel?

i thought the same have a read of this 'contains spoilers' and they go a way to explain it http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/0...season-3-it’s-little-polarizing-this-season-i

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Fury
    Murrica-6/10
    For what felt like US Fan Fiction, this wasn't all that bad. Predictable as hell, though...

John Wick
    5/10
    Typical revenge film, with a sub-par story. Better plot (less lead-in) would have done this film well.

Jack Ryan
    7/10
    I was expecting WAY worse than this, honestly. This was good, solid spy-fun, even though Keira Knitghley was somewhat annoying (mainly because it's Keira Knightley, though).

Divergent
    Hunger Games/10
    This is clearly written for the Hunger Games audience. It's cheap, moderately entertaining with a storyline that could fit onto a tissue (not because it doesn't have potential, but because it lacks intricacies, innovation and original ideas).
    It could have been properly good, so this one is a bit of a shame.

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Zombieland - braaaaiiiiinsssss 8/10
    Good take on the zom-pocalypse. Plays on, and subverts, all the stereotypes of the genre whilst still keeping it relatively light-hearted and funny. Shame the zombies run though :|
    Oh, and Emma Stone.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - well that escalated quickly 4/10
    Well yes, it does what it says on the tin. It "continues" the crazy that was the original. Unfortunately, that's all it does. Its feels like a selection of stitched together skits/sketches, rather than a joined-up story (however ludicrous). Shame the best scene (the news-team rumble) was right at the end of the film...

11. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

The Babadook 7/10

I've seen it before but I thought I'd re-watch it. I feel the same way about it now as I did when I first saw it. Talking it's lowish budget into account it's a really well made psychological horror movie that doesn't rely on cheap jump tactics to scare it's audience.

Is it really scary? Honestly no not really but it understands the way to scare an audience is to never let you see the monster. People are scared of what they can't rationally explain or understand.

What it does have is an interesting story that touches on some very human fears and emotions, a cool monster and some solid performances from the two lead characters.

If you want to see a more thought provoking horror film this would fit the bill nicely.

12. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Dumb and Dumber To 3/10

Loved the first film. This film was crap. Kathleen Turner had a few good lines but there were probably only two laugh out loud moments in the whole film.

13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

District 9 9/10

Not watched it in a while so got a hold of a Blu-Ray copy and basked in its glory. I forgot just how damn good it is.

14. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Chappie 8/10 - loved the interaction between man and machine although some of the running movement didn't sync with the ground at some points... Enjoyed it though... The character was excellent!

Ian

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I am eager but have yet to see this, REVEAL NOTHING!

16. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

The Theory of Everything - 8.5/10
    Wonderful stuff, absolutely superb acting all round and while it's a rather emotional film and you know the ending to some extent it was an interesting story non the less. I'm certainly glad there isn't a film covering my University years as they weren't anywhere near as interesting! I assume the story has been hammed up a wee bit for the movie but it was very believable and highlighted the struggles of the characters very well.

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Noah
    3/10

Pile of crap sums this up nicely. Emma Watson's acting is also terrible in this.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Who was this targeted at? Adults or kids?

19. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Very adult theme - I'd love my son to see it but, at six, the language, violence and overall premise is too much for his young ears and eyes! Chappie himself is so convincing - but I'll let you guys decide!

Ian

20. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Fury 8/10

The story is about a M4 Sherman's crew on the last days of the war. The movie clearly depict the poisonous & dehumanizing atmosphere of WW2, with soldiers who've seen so much that they don't give a **** anymore. The movie feature real WW2 tanks, notably the last operating Tiger 1 in the world (Thx to The Bovington Tank Museum).

For those who have seen the movie and thought the last stand was far fetch, I suggest you to go read about Lt. Audie Murphy and his stand at the Colmar Pocket in France. Sometime, fiction is not hardcore enough to depict unbelievable stuff that did happen.