1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

More updates~!!

Ok today I got a shipment of parts in.
    I ordered new XLR jacks to fix the potential shock hazard.
    But unfortunently the faceplate for the new jack is smaller then the old jack. (It has a faceplate like the 4-pin XLR next to the power jack)
    So the front will stay as it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

I now have every jack on the face-plate soldered, secured, and tested.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

A big tangle of wires, but it all works perfectly

[​IMG]

I also got 2" rack handles, and installed them onto the faceplate.
    I think this completes the look of the face plate.

2. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

nice one

with a machine looking as mean as that i don't think losing will be an option at all those lan's

i might actually have to steal that idea of changing all the ports, alltought to be able to do that you'd need a case that doesnt resemble a pc like yours...

[idea comes to mind] how bout ripping an x-box to pieces...[/idea] i think an x-box is big enough, and seing as you can get pretty powerfull mini atx mobo's. I think it should be done, for the sake of micro****e

3. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Lovin' the rack handles, a good touch IMO.

Couple of questions:
    1. Is that VGA cable catching any noise?

2. Where'd you source that covered keyswitch?*

*I saw one recently, but it was just a lock, looked exactly like that (and it was on a pet-cleanup bag dispenser in the park, not on a pc)

4. ZapWizard

1: Nope not at all, it's perfectly clear.
    2: RadioShack (A long time ago for car thing, but I never used it)

5. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi Zapwizard

Loving your ammo case...
    and for mounting the LCD in the larger goggle-box
    well
    I would mount it in the bottom part
    maybe u could use the hole of the valve for cable's...
    Maybe a matching "connector" as you are using on the PC itself... so that the VGA wire is internal... U will need to hack up a longer vga cable though...
    but that would complete the "army" look even more.
    and for power.. maybe the same as you have on the computer.. but for safety reasons maybe a female (or male, the opposite of what ur using on the case)
    or maybe just a standard connector.. those look pretty industrial/army like...
    Then just put in a thick foam , to put on top of the LCD.. , in the foam should be a cutout for Headphone's, Mouse, keyboard, ... maybe even a airsoft gun :) (like a real-looking replica)
    L
    PS: good luck on everything ! this is going to rock !!
    L

6. Alizarin

Alizarin What's a Dremel?

Zap, addressing the shock hazard, can't you rig up a small circuit to sense the infinite resistance of the unplugged connector and shut off power? That way it would shut off automatically when you unplug it to pack it up.

7. JohnSreb

JohnSreb What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 25 Jul 2003
  8. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

dont buy it from there, go to autozone, they have those exact switches for only 6 dollars or something like that, deffinatly not 20 like directron

9. ZapWizard

Umm, the switches are all ready in place, I am not changing them anytime soon.

REALLY Bad news tonight though.
    I cannot get the motherboard to boot anymore.
    I have booted it several times to test, but in the final test it just won't even get a beep out.

I had the entire PC assembled and tested, but it was giving me a VGA error.
    I dis-assembled it then, I moved the Graphics card from the second to first slot on my PCI Riser card (No AGP yet)
    It then booted, I shut if off, re-assembled it, but something has broke the second time I put it together, and the board is dead. :waah:

This REALLY blows, I am currently at work (at 1:00am) trying to find out if I can fix the board.
    If not it will have to be RMA'ed and I will only be able to bring a "Simulation" to the LAN party.
    I will have to take the Motherboard for my LAN PC, and run it externally in order to at least show the case off.

There are no missing/fried parts or traces.
    I have changed every part out to see if it was the board or another part, with no luck.

I connected up a POST card, with no luck, the numbers it is giving me don't corrilate with the Phoenix Bios POST numbers.
    (All it gives out is "AA", which means it is looking for a keyboard, when in reality it is just sitting there)

I have of course re-set the bios entirly, but the simple truth is this project has been set back at least two weeks.

:sigh: :( :waah:

10. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(breath) OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:waah:. Hmm I hope you can work this out zap the whole of bit is counting on you.

11. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

perhaps....the keyboard is bad?!

well...bad news for sure this is.

12. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

I think you really "Zapped" the motherboard this time. Sorry, Zap i couldn't resist.

:sigh:* Ashamed of his weak attempt to make a joke...*

I'm sure you'll get this straightened out. Just try not to "Zap" anything else...:D

13. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

**** hapens to good people

14. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

I think taliban_raider said it all really. Bad luck Zap :waah:

-cLoWn

15. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Everybody's thought's are with you mate....

Lets hope you get it sorted soon.....:eyebrow:

16. JohnSreb

JohnSreb What's a Dremel?

:sigh: I feel for you bud!

In the the 10 years I have been building my own computers, I had one case where the board worked for a while and didn't boot any more and it was because I didn't have all the stand off posts in place for grounding the board. As I added more PCI cards, more power was being drawn on the limited ground sorce. It was a Soyo board and it never work after that. My 4 year old daughter just fried here first computer 2 months ago, when she kicked the keyboard plug out by misstake and tried to plug it back in.

My thoughts are with you on this:sigh:

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

sorry to hear tat zap...

a litte OT question here: but why can you actually dersroy a mobo by plugging in/out PS/2 decvices while the comp. is on?

18. Bendill

Bendill What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear about your Motherboard... That's tough luck. :waah:

But I urge you to just get the board RMA'd and just stick with it, there's no reason to despair, I know it stinks to go to a LAN with just a simulation, but it's never good to rush a thing that has so much time put into it...

Well, I just wanted to state my opinion :D
    It's an absolutely astounding mod you've got going there!

Keep up the good work!

19. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

Omfg, make sure the mobo gets a proper burial, all our hearts are with you in your hour of need.

jk :D

That sux a bit, but if you will be extreme ;)

20. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I did that a few years back with a PII board. It finally died when I added a SCSI card. The thing used to boot, but was permanently asking for a keyboard, even though it was there (as per Zap's).

Shame dude. Hope it works out soon. :)