1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Custom Gaming Laptop - Need advice - Dota 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by James, 21 Mar 2015.

1. James

James What's a Dremel?

Hey guys I appreciate the help, so thank you very much for reading this.

So I'm going away to University this year and I need a laptop just for portability sake. Since lugging around my huge Coolermaster Stormtrooper tower does not sound logistical nor desirable.

All I really play is Dota 2... but I would like a laptop that can play future games. I was an avid mmo player but got bored and jaded. I am however waiting for Crowfall to come out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo
    (if you're interested)

So I want a laptop that is comfortably going to play Dota 2 on highest settings at 1920 x 1080.
    I'd prefer a 17" Laptop due to I'm using a 27" @ 2560 x 1440 right now... and I think going down to a 15 would be rather a large shock.

I've been looking at Scan 3XS systems. I have a budget of around £1000... perhaps a little higher. If needs must.

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/laptop/laptop

That's the one I've been looking at.

Do you have any advice for me? Is that far too high spec than I actually would require? Or possibly any dealings with any other custom builders? I know the majority of custom laptops are all using Clevo units.

Thanks very much, any and all advice is wanted. Obviously except for the obligatory "get a desktop". =)

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Depends what your studying at uni but I would also bear in mind you might be taking it to and from lectures. Its a few years ago now but I spent a similar amount on a laptop, In the end I sold it at Christmas and took my desktop back with me and bought something a little more portable.

3. James

James What's a Dremel?

I'm studying Medicine, which both my family and friends keep telling me I'll have no time to play games. But I will. But I doubt I'll need a laptop in lectures really. I'm more one to write things out, its how I commit ideas and principles to memory.

But still anyone got any advice? On what type of machine I'd require? Is the laptop rig I'm interested in, overkill? I'm quite set on getting a 970m card though since the improvements on this generation seem massive, for both power consumption and also performance.

4. James

James What's a Dremel?

bump - could really do with some advice if possible! Thanks!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Looks fine to me (the one you found). A 970M laughs at all games at 1080p at the moment - even Crysis 3 turned up to 11 (FXAA) is playable.

However, I would heed Archtronics' comment. A 17" laptop can become a ballache to drag around - you could just sit a bit closer to a 15" or smaller screen!

6. James

James What's a Dremel?

The 17" is 3.2 kg and the 15" is 2.5kg.... does 700 grams really make that much of a difference?

17" = 417 x 287 x 29.98mm
    15" = 385 x 271 x 28.8mm

Not even that much in it for size either.

But thanks for your advice, it really is a shame that I can't see these laptops in real life before I buy...