1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Elderly Are Targets in Internet Subpoenas

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 25 Jul 2003.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

From eWeek:

WASHINGTON (AP)—Move over, college kids. Grandparents and roommates may be the first ones to pay for downloading songs on the Internet.

The music industry's earliest subpoenas, issued as part of a high-stakes campaign to cripple online piracy by suing some of music's biggest fans, are aimed at a surprisingly eclectic group: a grandfather, an unsuspecting dad and an apartment roommate.

More here

2. phigmeta

phigmeta Banned

Ya know what we need to do .... we need to build a website that teaches people to fight back against this. for instance .... like forms that we can file requesting information on like EVERYTHING.

I did this once for a speeding ticket ..... I suquestored the records of the policman and his history in inacruatly indentifying persons breaking laws; how many of his arrest were later overturned; mantanence records of the radar detector. then i submited request for the departments overall records of how many persons the radar gun had be used to pick up ... i mean it was like 120 items ... then when i went before the judge i explained that the information i requested had not been delivered .... thus causeing a mistrial. Now I am not saying that we should do that ... but if 911 people surqueaster the source IP ... then the mac address ... and then ask for independent analysis of the PC's used ... ect ect ect ... eventually it will pile them under so much legal bull**** that it becomes to expensive to actually persue .... think about it ... each legal instance cost the RIAA about 500$

multiply that by 20 request from 500 users .... 10,000 request at 500 a peice .... thats half a million bucks .... now that doesn't even include the actual cost of litigation .... hell you could bankrupt the RIAA just by litigation.

I mean why not .... for example ... ask them to prove that they downloaded the file from your PC .... i mean ... did they keep a log of the transfer ?

or ask then to tell you how many they actaully downloaded ?? i mean it could be argued that puffdaddy.mp3 may very well be a song your freind made about sucking a guys happystick ..... and if they did not download any then ... well how do they know .... and if they downloaded 3 songs .... offer the cost of 3 singles as a settlement ..... it would take them years to unravel the papperwork ... and thus forcing a misstrial.

Don't F*Ck with me RIAA ... I will have you sucking my toe trying to get toejam for your toast.

ahhh sweet burden of proof ......

So what do ya think ...

3. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

are you a lawyer? i think that also saying saying someone pplanted a trojan on your comp and was using it to increase their downloads migh also work.

You cant bankrupt the RIAA theyl just keep charging more for their music. Then it will movve on to taking limbs, slavery, first born children, etc. etc. until they own all of the world. then we will be forced to listen to yet another britney-spears-alike for the rest of enternity.

4. phigmeta

phigmeta Banned

well the RIAA have no real Intelectual Property per say so raising prices would not be possible (not that I would actaully BUY an album at this point)... but actaully bankrupting the RIAA is pretty much imposible...

As for the trojan thing ..... hmm that probibly would not help you much ... what would need to happen is reverse what corps have been doing for years now .... its called litigation blackmail.

3 easy steps to fight litigation blackmail:

1) Force the other party to prove their side. Use the possiblity of unending continuances; evedence request and appels.

2) Make unreasonable request that can in no way be performed or presented. If evidence does present itself the request more detail of the evidence.

3) If all else fails offer an out of court settlement that undermines the pourpose of the litigation in the first place.

Companies who have made this an art:

Law firms that concentrate on Personal Injury
    Insurance Companies
    Lobby Unions

A good Idea would be to find a lawyer who would represent all of the defendence and have a countersuit ..... though there are a few avenues to go with I think that would need to be researched by an profesional.

The wonderfull thing about law is that if you use all of your options all at once ... you can bury the other guy in a pile of paperwork.

Just ask my ex-wife ..... well that is of course if she could afford a phone.

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

phigmeta, are you a lawyer? If so I think you should write up a webpage, a kind of how-to, for the 911 people out there getting raped.

/me wonders if there's any way for the RIAA artists to sue the RIAA for raping them...

Anywho, I don't feel the need to listen to RIAA artists anymore. It's all the same crap. Country RIAA artists, oh, hello texan drinking guy. Pop RIAA, hello britney spears wannabe, hello backstreet boys wannabe. Rap, hello britney spears wannabe who thinks she's black, hello backstreet boys wannabes wearing $10,000 worth of clothing and jumping around b/c they don't have choreographers. "Rock Alternative" (Alternative/new punk/ect) Hello backstreet boys with guitar. Rock. Hello screaming backstreet boys with guitar.

It's all the same bull****. Give me an indie band and I'll be happy for a month. Give me that **** and I'll be happy for 30 seconds (if that). Thank you RIAA for helping me to realize that you really do put out the same **** with a different name. Don't count on me giving you another penny.

Edit:
    Umm, doesn't the RIAA have all the intelectual property? Isn't that the whole deal? The artists have no control over their music once they sign on with the RIAA. The RIAA tells them what they can and cannot do with their music. The RIAA owns the music, the band owns the T-shirts....

6. Crazith

Crazith What's a Dremel?

Well from what I know is the RIAA is trying to use fear to keep people from downloading the songs. So what we shoulds do is just boycott all RIAA talk to every one you know not to buy anyCD/Tapes/or other media cause if we could get atleast 60% of the hell even 40% of the people it then is possible to scare the RIAA now imagine a year where 60% of the people don't buy any music think of how hard it would be for the RIAA to try all this stuff in court and they would eventually have to cave for fear of bankrupcy. Yes they can go bankrupt but we would have to work together to do it.

Tags: Add Tags